These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
BeaufordBuddy

TDC's Official All Things Apple Thread

Well after years of putting up with Windows machines I finally decided that I owed it to myself to see what all the hype is about and give Mac a try. This wasn't a spur of the moment decision, I've been contemplating switching for sometime just never got around to convincing myself to do it. Well after recently doing a clean install of Vista on my mom's new Dell desktop and encountering problem after problem I got fed up and made a vow to never buy a Windows based machine ever again.

I went to an Apple retail store today to check out the Macbook Pros they had on display. I've been looking at them online for some time but when I saw the 17" in person I fell in love.

I'm just so sick and tired of trying to convince myself that Windows is superior just because it's more popular.

So where are all the Mac owners on TDC? Any suggestions you have in making the switch? I've been reading up on the Apple Switching 101 articles trying to learn new things that I'll have to adapt to. I'm so anxious and excited to be getting a Mac. Anybody have any switching stories?

Last edited by BeaufordBuddy; 09-09-2014 at 04:24 PM.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
JWood

I didn't really switch, I've always had a Mac growing up (as a desktop), but now I own a 15" Macbook Pro, along with a Sony Vaio laptop for work.

Personally I love my Mac and the only reason I still have a PC is for compatibility issues with work. If I were you, I would take the plunge. Especially with all the crap that's going on with Vista right now. I've been told that Windows solution to Vista won't be out until late 2009/2010 anyways, so I would go for it.

As long as it would be your "personal computer" and not a work computer, unless you work in graphic design (which in that case you should already have a Mac), then I would go for it.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Pay4WhatUGet
Falling, with a shotgun blast

Good choice!

I have used a mac for about 10 years. I work in production/video editing, and it's the standard. I also have a Powerbook, iMac,iPhone etc....

Checkout Macrumors.com for a good site about all things apple.

Have fun with your switch.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1892 View Post

I didn't really switch, I've always had a Mac growing up (as a desktop), but now I own a 15" Macbook Pro, along with a Sony Vaio laptop for work.

Personally I love my Mac and the only reason I still have a PC is for compatibility issues with work. If I were you, I would take the plunge. Especially with all the crap that's going on with Vista right now. I've been told that Windows solution to Vista won't be out until late 2009/2010 anyways, so I would go for it.

As long as it would be your "personal computer" and not a work computer, unless you work in graphic design (which in that case you should already have a Mac), then I would go for it.
I will more than likely still hang onto my ThinkPad afterwards because there's some programs I can't let go of. Actually it's not a matter of not being to let go of them it's just that there is no Mac compatible version of the software. I will probably just create a Boot Camp partition and install Windows with what few programs that I need. The only reason I'll be keeping a PC, like you said, is because I need it for work. But when it comes to my own personal use and entertainment it will be strictly Mac for me.

Instead of Windows trying to fix issues with Vista they'd rather dump their time and energy into developing Windows 7 ("Vienna").
Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay4WhatUGet View Post
Good choice!

I have used a mac for about 10 years. I work in production/video editing, and it's the standard. I also have a Powerbook, iMac,iPhone etc....

Checkout Macrumors.com for a good site about all things apple.

Have fun with your switch.
I do occasional graphic design and editing and with a Mac I'd like to start doing some video editing and just being more productive altogether.

I've been checking out various Mac forums and the Mac Rumors site as well. I was a bit hesitant though when I found out that Apple plans to be updating their notebook line in the coming months to take advantage of Intel's new Montevina chipset. But after I saw that Intel has pushed the released date back and that would subsequently delay Apple's update I decided I couldn't wait any longer and always hold out for the next greatest thing. I'll be taking the plunge and purchasing the current MBP model. I am quite happy with it's design as is and its performance marks will be suitable for my needs for quite some time.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
K270
Kan Pai

I'm happy with my Mac also. Bought it in Feb '04. I should update or something though because I am having problems with Safari crashing or not being able to access some web sites (Google Maps, all MLB sites and some others).
K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Pay4WhatUGet
Falling, with a shotgun blast

Glad you are not going to wait. I bought my iPhone a couple months ago and was hesitant because of the 3g rumors, but I'm so glad I did!

Technology is always updating and sometimes it's hard when the item that you just bought becomes outdated. You just have to jump in, and enjoy it!

One recommendation I would make is get the Apple Care with you computer. It saved me a lot of money, and I take really good care of my stuff. Even perfect CPU's have problems from time to time.
Pay4WhatUGet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
psullz

looking to buy a mac within the next few weeks.... cant wait
Old 05-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Psionic

I work IT support for macs in an office up here, so if any questions arise, please feel free to PM me... It's.. what i do for a living.

Cheers!
-Psi
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Psionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
I'm happy with my Mac also. Bought it in Feb '04. I should update or something though because I am having problems with Safari crashing or not being able to access some web sites (Google Maps, all MLB sites and some others).
If you havent tried disk utilities "repair disk permissions" yet, i'd suggest doing so. +Shift+U in finder to get to utils folder, then disk utility. May help.

-Psi
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
K270
Kan Pai

^Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get home from work later. Hopefully it works.
K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Parker
yeah

switching from a pc to a mac was amazing. I wish I could do it again to relive it.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
captainbluntmofo
race against the wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
switching from a pc to a mac was amazing. I wish I could do it again to relive it.
D:-2-----0-----2-----2--
A:-2-----------0-----0--
E:-0--------------------
captainbluntmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Sean
get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
i liked it. i was growing bored of PCs and didnt know anything about macs. figured i'd try one out and try and learn as much as i could. glad i did
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
SurferX

Welcome to the Cult of Apple. 24 year member here.

I've owned some form of an Apple product since 1984 (still have them all too), and I worked in two of the retail stores for two years.

I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro. I have an iPhone and a un-modded Newton 2200

ZakWinnick.com
Twitter: ZakWinnick
SurferX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #16
GregB486
Large and in charge

i've had my macbook about 2 months. it's amazing.
She's the inflatable dolphin. And you really like that dolphin. Now tell the dolphin how you feel, grab it by it's handles and take it into the bedroom. Be confident, forceful and manly. Emit pheremones or something. Then lay into it and give a big satisfied smile.
GregB486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
GreyStHokie
Resident Hokie

my laptop is just over 4 years old now so upgrade time is quickly approaching..i kinda want an iMac but i worry i'm going to miss the mobility of my computer now (not that i take it anywhere, it goes from my desk to the couch every so often, but still)..we'll see what happens
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
Psionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyStHokie View Post
my laptop is just over 4 years old now so upgrade time is quickly approaching..i kinda want an iMac but i worry i'm going to miss the mobility of my computer now (not that i take it anywhere, it goes from my desk to the couch every so often, but still)..we'll see what happens
Just get a nice monitor and a macbook pro. When you're at home, you have a dual display setup, or a nice desktop setup (just run with mbpro closed), then when you need to go portable, unplug a few things, and have a badass portable.

I have a macbook and a 42" monitor and it's just perfect.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
GreyStHokie
Resident Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic View Post
Just get a nice monitor and a macbook pro. When you're at home, you have a dual display setup, or a nice desktop setup (just run with mbpro closed), then when you need to go portable, unplug a few things, and have a badass portable.

I have a macbook and a 42" monitor and it's just perfect.
christ..i dont know what i would do with a 42" monitor lol
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #20
Psionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyStHokie View Post
christ..i dont know what i would do with a 42" monitor lol
I'm sure you could think of SOMETHING to do with it!

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc