These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #101
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think with rashawn gone, wed still have most of the problems. It would help but I think youíd all see heís not the only issue.
He's not. The uniqueness of the violin is gone. Jeff doesn't take many chances outside his role as essential replacement for Roi. Tim utilizes his guitar like a 70s metal god too often. Carter can't play with the intricacy he used to. Dave fobs his playing off on others, etc. etc. It seems that, like usual, Stefan is the MVP of DMB.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #102
NewAgedNerd

I would say Rashawn has never really done anything that caught my attention one way or another. At worst he may play a boring solo (everyone does if you listen to enough shows lol even Roi) and best maybe he plays something that's kinda cool or adds some nice horn line. Do not understand the virulent hatred he stokes among people.
NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #103
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd View Post
I would say Rashawn has never really done anything that caught my attention one way or another. At worst he may play a boring solo (everyone does if you listen to enough shows lol even Roi) and best maybe he plays something that's kinda cool or adds some nice horn line. Do not understand the virulent hatred he stokes among people.
For me, I just don’t care for the trumpet sound in DMB songs. I also often don’t care for the choices he makes, but really it could be any trumpet player and I still wouldn’t care for it. That being said, the DMB sound I like is dead anyway (and Ross isn’t the only problem) and I don’t ever really listen to anything with Ross on it so for me, I guess it really makes no difference.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #104
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Yea Iím the same way. To me heís just really noticeable when he squeaks at the end of every song.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #105
willndmb

Quote:
his sounds sucks imo and takes away from people who are more talented and I rather hear.
He canít add anything to any song that Roi/Jeff canít have something better and I would take a sure BT or overpowered Tim solo over him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
For me, I just donít care for the trumpet sound in DMB songs. I also often donít care for the choices he makes, but really it could be any trumpet player and I still wouldnít care for it. That being said, the DMB sound I like is dead anyway (and Ross isnít the only problem) and I donít ever really listen to anything with Ross on it so for me, I guess it really makes no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
he squeaks at the end of every song.
Thatís like ďhis thingĒ to me. As if he doesnít do it people forget he is there
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #106
Tomacco

Yeah worst thing about Rashawn is definitely the blaring squeaks at the end of songs.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #107
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Of all songs to say that about. So Right is a weird one to pick. The versions Ross took the solo were awesome, too.
What? I love the song because itís awesome jam and Jeff solo
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #108
greykitkat36

Trumpet is also just a super loud instrument and cuts through any mix like crazy. Just how it is. So when Rashawn is bad he just gets exposed that much more. Itís an internment where you really canít hide, because youíre going to beat everyone frequency wise and be heard. Thatís no excuse though, I agree with Mersh and many others that Trumpet itself in DMB doesnít sound good, wouldnít matter who is playing it. Itís just too loud, too in your face. If Rashawn played with the mute on all the time, that would help a shitload
Old 02-15-2021, 05:53 AM   #109
Mersh

Trumpet can be tasteful and not overbearing. Regardless just not the type of instrumentation I enjoy with DMB. It isn’t about how loud it is or what Ross does, it’s just the instrument doesn’t work for me with the sound I enjoy from DMB.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:54 AM   #110
Mersh

That being said, their sax player is dead and their violin player is looking for dirty socks so the sound is gone anyway.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #111
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I miss the violin. If boyd is beyond repair, I wish they could find a replacement. I know they wonít, they love the dave matthews party band (good for them!), but it is really not good in my mind. It is unlistenable in a solo setting. If I want to go tailgate, drink a bunch of beers and have a nostalgic experience, it scratches that Dave itch, but I honestly canít enjoy 4.0 in any other setting. I think this is why the Dave and Carter session was so enjoyable, it was as close as we can get to the dmb most of us fell in love with.

I wonder what dave truly thinks. He is surrounded by people now whose best interest is to keep the current band going. Rashawn and Buddy need dave to think this band is ďbad as fuck,Ē or they might be out. And theyíre right, just not in the way they mean imho.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #112
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
What? I love the song because itís awesome jam and Jeff solo
You were saying a great example of Ross being detracting is Jeff soloing at the end So Right. I was saying it's ironic to use that song as your example because the 2006 versions with Ross taking that solo is by far some of his best work and fantastic versions of the song. Check out Randall's or Shoreline.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #113
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I miss the violin. If boyd is beyond repair, I wish they could find a replacement. I know they wonít, they love the dave matthews party band (good for them!), but it is really not good in my mind. It is unlistenable in a solo setting. If I want to go tailgate, drink a bunch of beers and have a nostalgic experience, it scratches that Dave itch, but I honestly canít enjoy 4.0 in any other setting. I think this is why the Dave and Carter session was so enjoyable, it was as close as we can get to the dmb most of us fell in love with.

I wonder what dave truly thinks. He is surrounded by people now whose best interest is to keep the current band going. Rashawn and Buddy need dave to think this band is ďbad as fuck,Ē or they might be out. And theyíre right, just not in the way they mean imho.
Good post. I couldn't see myself going to a DMB show now unless it was in a "let's go tailgate and act like we are 20 again" setting - which defines the nostalgia act mentality. Interestingly enough, the decision to not replace the departed violin player with another violin is a clear indication that they don't wish to be a nostalgia act - yet their new lineup, driven by electric guitar and wall-of-sound sensibilities has the reverse effect. They've gone from worldbeat to dadrock in the matter of a decade of unfortunate sonic command decisions, morphing into a bastardized caricature of themselves.

It's interesting to note the trajectory of the band, one that's different than many aging touring acts. DMB started out as an unlikely pairing of sounds, with a reluctant frontman who knew his strengths and deferred to the quirky and dynamic nature of his counterparts. Dave habitually referenced the "unique five voices" that made up the quintet, sheepishly downplaying his charismatic leading-man abilities.

As time has gone on, the unique five voices have been slowly phased out, in favor of the talent-laden yet hackneyed lineup we hear today; one that I admittedly have zero interest in listening to.

The Dave Matthews Band has actually turned into just that: a cast of characters, rallying around a mediocre vocalist whose street cred far outlasts his musical fortitude. The supporting cast is no longer unique, nor is the product that they produce. And it sells tickets. And they don't appear to care because they're making money and having fun.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #114
greykitkat36

Damn soups that’s a Brutal post. It would help a lot if Lyrics were better too. Hard to believe how bad Dave is now in that regard. Yes he always wrote stuff like Crash and LYD...cheesy lame kind of songs and I get the argument that he was never a super brilliant Prophet all the time but man, he really hasn’t written a truly Solid lyrical song in almost 15 years now.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #115
jeff1818

It will be interesting to hear what DMB 5.0 will be in say 5 years. At that point Tim will be 68! and Carter close as well. I'd imagine they morph again. But who really wants to hear an organ and trumpet being the main instruments? In some ways DMB died in 2008. To me, the final nail was Boyd quitting/getting canned. The show must go on though, I suppose. Dave will drag the carcass down the road until there's no one left.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #116
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Damn soups thatís a Brutal post. It would help a lot if Lyrics were better too. Hard to believe how bad Dave is now in that regard. Yes he always wrote stuff like Crash and LYD...cheesy lame kind of songs and I get the argument that he was never a super brilliant Prophet all the time but man, he really hasnít written a truly Solid lyrical song in almost 15 years now.
I played So Damn Lucky for my newborn and he loves it. DMB and Dave will always be a big part of my life, but it's just not cool what they've done with the thing they created. Some of it is clearly part of circumstance - they couldn't make Roi NOT die and Boyd not deteriorate....but they could realize what made them good.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #117
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
He's not. The uniqueness of the violin is gone. Jeff doesn't take many chances outside his role as essential replacement for Roi. Tim utilizes his guitar like a 70s metal god too often. Carter can't play with the intricacy he used to. Dave fobs his playing off on others, etc. etc. It seems that, like usual, Stefan is the MVP of DMB.
100% accurate take.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #118
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I played So Damn Lucky for my newborn and he loves it. DMB and Dave will always be a big part of my life, but it's just not cool what they've done with the thing they created. Some of it is clearly part of circumstance - they couldn't make Roi NOT die and Boyd not deteriorate....but they could realize what made them good.
Dave is too weak to do anything about it. And that sucks.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #119
dmb2much40

This is all spot on, but it isn’t going to change because they don’t see anything wrong. They may have been deluded into believing their evolution has been positive because the crowds are still showing up. They are still selling amphitheater’s fairly well. The majority of the crowd is there for the party, pumped to hear the laundry list of covers in the jimi thing jam and go apeshit for Rashawn’s squeaks and Buddy’s Everyday antics. Even better if Dave wears sunglasses and humps the mic stand during Seven.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #120
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
This is all spot on, but it isnít going to change because they donít see anything wrong. They may have been deluded into believing their evolution has been positive because the crowds are still showing up. They are still selling amphitheaterís fairly well. The majority of the crowd is there for the party, pumped to hear the laundry list of covers in the jimi thing jam and go apeshit for Rashawnís squeaks and Buddyís Everyday antics. Even better if Dave wears sunglasses and humps the mic stand during Seven.
Again, very accurate take. Sadddd.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc