These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #101
gweeps
homesick android

What's the point of taking the vaccine now? Unless the one you're getting is tailored to a new variant... or maybe you're hoping it'll prevent a possible reinfection?
Old 01-25-2021, 01:04 AM   #102
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
What's the point of taking the vaccine now? Unless the one you're getting is tailored to a new variant... or maybe you're hoping it'll prevent a possible reinfection?

Its my understanding that if you have a mild case, you might not be as immune as someone who had a more severe case. So yes, getting a vaccine would most likely prevent a reinfection.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #103
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I believe even if you have a severe case, the antibodies provided from the vaccine are still far more robust.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #104
Josh.0

Indeed I have read, I canít remember where but itís probably easy to find, that the antibody response from the vaccine is upwards of 10x stronger than that of an actual infection.

With that said, I believe youíre less likely to be able to host the virus in the months after an infection (and thus pass it on), whereas with the vaccine the jury is still out?
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #105
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

well my boss was discharged from the hospital on Friday and is working today
Old 01-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #106
Josh.0

Good news
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:51 AM   #107
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Also, I got my test at Walgreens. Nothing from the county yet.
I asked once, but I'll ask again. Has your county called you yet?

I have a co-worker who's currently out with C-19. San Mateo County called her and she had a long conversation with the County and they cleared her to go back to work. She's been in to shop a couple of times and seems to be o.k. She's due to return this Wednesday. Just wondering if other Counties around the Country have been calling people that have had C-19.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #108
Josh.0

Nope, they never did.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #109
Mersh

My
County has essentially given up on contacting people.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #110
beitsaad
it must have been the roses

My mom had it, or has it, had a cold for a few days, lost taste and smell for 2 days, still has coldlike symptoms. She's generally a healthy person for someone in her mid 60s.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #111
Josh.0

For the >96.5% of people that get COVID and donít end up in the hospital, that about sums it up.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #112
Vorony

My wife and I didn’t receive a call from our county when she tested positive, but we did get calls from the state DOH. We received emails from our county’s health department after those calls, instructing us that we were under mandatory quarantine orders until a certain date.
Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #113
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
My wife and I didnít receive a call from our county when she tested positive, but we did get calls from the state DOH. We received emails from our countyís health department after those calls, instructing us that we were under mandatory quarantine orders until a certain date.
We did as well in September when my wife had to quarantine. Now, as school employees, it seems to be left up to school admin to make calls and tell people if they have to quarantine or not. However, since they adjusted the exposure time that merits a quarantine to beyond what 7-12 teachers have with students per class no one really gets quarantined any more.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #114
Josh.0

I work for a large health system and occupational health called me and notified me of a mandatory quarantine, but not the county or state. With that said, maybe my employer is in contact with the state, I have no idea.

What’s funny is they just say “you have to quarantine from when you remember your first symptom.” Which is effectively meaningless, because someone could be like “oh I coughed a few times eight days ago but didn’t think it was COVID because it wasn’t persistent and just felt like allergies. Eventually, over the ensuing few days, it did worsen and then I was able to get a test two days after that which then confirmed the infection.” To that the county or state will just say “okay you need to quarantine two more days, as we’re eight days from your first symptom.”

No one has any real idea “when” you got infected. In that scenario, from days 1-8 the person may have been unknowingly infecting others, especially if the symptom is very mild (a very periodic small cough, a slight headache, or a slight stomach ache, etc.). By the time you know to take the test and you get the positive result, you’re already a short time away from the end of your quarantine because by then your symptoms are starting to wane.

It’s all 100% just throwing shit against the wall.

Last edited by Josh.0; 01-27-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #115
Mersh

Well, second dose of Moderna is done. I hope everyone here is able to get it soon and if you are able that you do it. Hopefully this is the way forward.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #116
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Well, second dose of Moderna is done. I hope everyone here is able to get it soon and if you are able that you do it. Hopefully this is the way forward.
Good to hear! Still waiting to hear when my tier is going to be vaccinated. I supposedly in tier 1B. While they've started on 1B, it's only for people age 65+. Seems like there's also going to be a restructuring of the tiers. I should be next, but that could change.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #117
DMBCLSTJ

Does anyone think that in say 2 months time, they (vaccination sites) will have more doses then they can handle? Between folks that won't take it, the majority of high risk people already having their shots and influx of shipments from Pfizer, Moderna and J&J. Ah, maybe I am over thinking it.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #118
Mersh

It’s a problem I’m willing to have.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #119
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Itís a problem Iím willing to have.
Oh me too

I'm just curious what the next few months will look like as far as vaccinations go. I am happy we are trending in the right direction right now, but we have seen how long that can last and go the other direction in no time.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #120
jeff1818

2 months time we will still be very much in the thick of it. I just checked and we are still under 10MM having taken the second dose. My hope is that number reaches 275-285MM (85% vaccinated). We have along way to go.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc