Old 02-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #7741
Mersh

Why aren’t you doing your part here?
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #7742
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I think basically you want mario to tell you you were right. I am not sure who else you have so much animosity toward/something to prove to.
This would be wonderful. If he came out and said “I thought I was the smartest person in this thread, I talked down to everyone, especially Josh, yet Josh you were days...no, weeks...no, months ahead of me on almost everything. It turns out, despite what I claimed earlier in the thread, I am often wrong and it was proven here dozens and dozens of times.”

That’d shut me up.

As for the hoaxer stuff, I knew some thought that of me, which is why I was frustrated. Some with seemingly “progressive” viewpoints are often quick to throw labels on those they don’t agree with. But when you’re certain most of what you’re saying is indeed correct and such people still act holier-than-thou towards you, it’s pretty irritating and lessens your view of how open they really are to discourse. Like, suddenly I knew nothing about a topic I discuss daily with peers. It was a sight to behold, day after day.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #7743
Mersh

Had to be how Jesus felt.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #7744
Mersh

That was good natured in case it isn’t clear.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #7745
Josh.0

Yes and we both hath risen, him to forgive and me to say bitches
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #7746
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Wait the worst is yet to come? Seems like it should only get better from here on out with the vaccines.
Osterholm is concerned about the millions of over 65 people in America who haven't yet been vaccinated. He's worried about the U.K. variant, and its evolving spread in America, following the same pattern it did over there and elsewhere. He thinks delaying second doses for those not already scheduled will give enough people the opportunity to be protected against what he calls the coming "hurricane". He claims people are again becoming too complacent. He also hopes he's wrong, of course. He's even delayed his own second dose.

He said the richer countries better start helping the 100+ poorer nations that have little to no access to the vaccines yet, otherwise we're just going to see the virus in whatever mutation return again and again.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #7747
Josh.0

I mean, he may be right, but he actually first said that three, almost four weeks ago yet cases are still plunging. You think they’d (cases) be doing the complete opposite at this point if he were right. Or, at the very least, remaining steady.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #7748
Josh.0

Apparently it’s also now coming out that Osterholm was advising Cuomo?
Old 02-22-2021, 12:47 AM   #7749
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Apparently it’s also now coming out that Osterholm was advising Cuomo?
This has been known for a long time. At least he mentioned it on his podcast a number of months ago.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:51 AM   #7750
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I mean, he may be right, but he actually first said that three, almost four weeks ago yet cases are still plunging. You think they’d (cases) be doing the complete opposite at this point if he were right. Or, at the very least, remaining steady.
I don't think he wants to be right. He has given a wide margin for when a new surge could happen. Something like 4-6 weeks.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #7751
mario

While some people take embarrassing victory laps, the adults in the room are acknowledging [Only registered users can see links.] when money was prioritized over lives:
During an interview with ABC’s “[Only registered users can see links.] ” Monday, [...] Anthony Fauci was asked “did this have to be?” as the coronavirus death toll in the U.S. nears 500,000.

“Certainly some of it, but not this bad,” Fauci said. “I believe that if you look back historically, we’ve done worse than any other country, and we’re a highly developed, rich country.”
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #7752
jeff1818

Who has good news for us?!

This is sad and depressing:
[Only registered users can see links.]
jeff1818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #7753
gweeps
homesick android

There will probably always be risks concerning dominant variants, especially for those with co-morbidities and the elderly. The odd exception for people between the ages of 15-40 who are generally healthy will rear its ugly head. But the vaccines will give us enough protection to, at least in richer countries, return to an existence closer the February 2020 normalcy within 3/4ths of a year maximum. As long as vaccines keep rolling out and folks don't continue to be silly and stupid while waiting for them. We cannot be impatient or complacent for this pandemic to end. It will. It's simply proving to be harder than we thought. Or at least there is still questions out there, like the extent of natural immunity, that needs to be nailed down.

Last edited by gweeps; 02-25-2021 at 07:36 AM.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #7754
beitsaad
it must have been the roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
Who has good news for us?!

This is sad and depressing:
[Only registered users can see links.]
Well, death rate continues to be extremely low, that's good. For a majority of people, when they get the Coronavirus, they have mild to no symptoms, this is is also good.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:59 AM   #7755
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I feel like the California Strain may be an issue where the media is stoking fear. I saw like 4 “The Devil is here!” headlines yesterday, but then you read a lot of, “possibly,” “it could,” “might,” when talking about it from information from a non-peer reviewed study. Furthermore you see the samples he was testing were from December. So, this variant has been widely circulating for almost three months (but really 5, I guess) and cases and deaths are still going down. It may end up being a bunch of things, but being scared about ‘maybe’ when there is nothing any of us can do beyond what we already are, is no way to go through life.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #7756
Josh.0

The media can keep embarrassing themselves for short-term financial gain by continuing to stoke panic for clicks all that they want.

Reality says all that we need to know, regardless of the California strain, South Africa strain, Denmark strain, Mars strain, Europa strain, Andromeda Galaxy strain or any other new strains that develop. The fact is prior infections and/or vaccinations seem to be protective against all strains thus far, and coronaviruses mutate far, far slower than viruses like the flu.

This is all fear-mongering to deny the reality - which the left-wing media had refused to acknowledge for a year - that one day we will move past the virus. Or, at least, minimize it in such a way that it’ll be an afterthought like the flu (if it mutates) though likely much less significant.

So while they can keep writing headlines like this to move the goalposts yet again from cases to “OMG BUT THERE ARE SO MANY CURRENT INFECTIONZ STILL!” (I love the clear clickbait with “Here’s what has experts worried” aka “scary news! Click here click here!”), we can choose to be wise by ignoring them.

Reality is telling us this. Yes, this is worldwide. The drop is even steeper in the USA:

Fuck the media, which is something I never thought I’d say five years ago, and fuck any idiots that are sharing their fear-mongering and then pointing fingers at other people and accusing them of spreading “disinformation.”

Remember: MERS and SARS are coronaviruses, yet neither have mutated in such a way to rapidly spread through the population. We don’t even have vaccines for those. There’s no precedent telling us COVID-19 is going to live on in highly-impactful ways beyond this one outbreak. It’s all media-fueled bullshit.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #7757
jeff1818

I guess ultimately we'll have to just wait and see if these variants evade the vaccines. Headlines on CNN say they will. And that we are back to square one.
jeff1818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #7758
Josh.0

The worst part, BTW, is few ever go back and hold the media accountable for poor or misleading reporting. No one is going, “Hey, CNN, NYT, WashPo, etc...where’s your follow-up/corrections on all the panic you caused when you pushed narratives around:

-10% death rates
-Opening schools leading to kids and teachers dying
-Bodybags lined up and down Broadway
-Reinfections
-Vaccines not working
-Vaccines being “rushed” by Trump and “not safe”
-3 months of immunity
-Outdoor transmission
-Lockdowns being the only way to save everyone (Florida 1,000,000 - MSM 0 on that one)
-Herd immunity being improbable
-One mask being enough to eliminate the virus if everyone wore one (whoops, turns out it’s airborne...so let’s, uh, wear two masks instead!)
-Hospitals being overrun and patients being turned away
-“Two weeks to flatten the curve”
-Ventilators! Ventilators! Ventilators!
-Hard-surface transmission
-No seasonality
-No possible pre-existing immunity
-“Look at Canada, the US blew it and they have it figured out!”

And so, so much more that I know I’m forgetting. The problem is the MSM knows in the age of instant gratification we all have very short memories, and armed with that knowledge they prey on the public day in and day out with misinformation that leads to zero accountability when their bullshit is proven false weeks or months later.

We need to hold our media accountable. Left, right, center. They’ve blurred the line between news and entertainment with sheer impunity and it needs to stop.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #7759
Josh.0

“Only lockdowns will save us! If you don’t support that you don’t care about saving lives!”

Old 02-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #7760
Josh.0

One last thing:

Quebec and Sweden are actually pretty decent comps population-wise. Quebec has about 8.5 million people, Sweden has about 10.3 million people.

Believe it or not Quebec is much larger than Sweden, but we’ll just pretend that’s not true and that Quebec’s population density is comparable to Sweden (which is technically much denser), because if we factor that in too, it further solidifies the point I’m about to make. But let’s just ignore this detail and give Quebec a little extra wiggle room.

Deaths per 1M people:

Sweden: 1,251
Quebec: 1,221

Amazing.

Josh to Z countless times last summer while Z kept dunking on Sweden:

“Canada has a long winter coming, watch. Get back to me in the spring.”

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc