These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #121
pgr17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Thanks! I'm also interested in any information about their old sound rigs or lighting details.
here's a good one from 2000: [Only registered users can see links.]

and here's just some other info from the same magazine:

Spoiler:
DAVE MATTHEWS BAND

Engineer: Jeff Thomas

The Dave Matthews Band is the most successful touring group inAmerica right now and they're very serious about recording andarchiving their shows, which they periodically release on CD such aslast year's Live at Folsom Field two-CD package, a forthcomingset from The Gorge in Washington and various DVD-Video releases.
From Matthews' new studio outside Charlottesville, Va., engineerJeff Thomas described the group's live recording setup: “Everyshow on tour is redundantly multitracked,” he explains. “Werun 48 tracks of 24-bit, 48k audio, and we do it on two differentformats: Tascam DA-78 tape re-corders and MX-2424 hard disk recorders.The 78 tape is considered the redundant backup tape. Then we mail offthe hard drive to a gentleman in Charlottesville who does adata-transfer service for us; he transfers all of the data to compactdisc, which creates a very long-term stable storage format for themultitrack audio. We use about 100 to 120 compact discs per show, whichsounds like a lot — and it is — but megabytes per dollar,it's the most cost-effective and time-stable [method] you can use. Wevacuum-seal it in these heavy-duty food bags to remove air and we sealit in a PVC tube that protects it physically. Mitsui is the supplier ofthe CD media and they guarantee us over 100 years of shelf-life,storing it at 70°, 40-percent relative humidity. During thetransfer, there's [also] two different tape-drive formats — AIT-3cartridge and On-Stream cartridge — that we make, and that's goodfor five to eight years. We also make a DAT reference and a compactdisc reference of every show, so if we need to look at the songs playedor a quick check of the performance of the show, we've got that insimple form.” The different media are stored in three differentlocations.
Thomas says the feed for the multitracks is “anontransformer-isolated split off a snake. We use API 212 mic preamps.We've modified the output transformer to give us a dual-output line, soone output goes to the DA-78 and one goes to the MX-24s.” Asbefits such a serious operation, the DMB records four tracks ofaudience for maximum flexibility later.
Until recently, Ryan Nichols ran the group's live recordingoperation, and Thomas notes, “It's definitely its own job.Everything has to be shipped out the next day, and the transfer processoccurs within two to three days of the show; then the disks are shippedback to us. We have 25 to 30 hard disks that rotate between shows ontour.” Where do they keep the recorders? “The machines havebeen all over the place,” Thomas says. “We've had them inmonitor world; at front-of-house for many years. Now, we've got themonstage.”
- See more at: [Only registered users can see links.]

Quackenbush says his experience with Sensaphonics goes back to 2003, when he was hired as front-of-house engineer and production manager for Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Because the band couldn’t budget for a traveling monitor engineer, Quackenbush found himself mixing both FOH and monitors from the main console. The group was opening for Dave Matthews Band, and Randolph had just ordered a pair of Sensaphonics 2X-S.
“Robert was really into IEMs, so I suggested we try putting everyone on them,” Quackenbush recalls. “I talked to Ian Kuhn, Dave Matthews’ monitor engineer, about it, and he told me how much soft earpieces helped in making that transition a smooth one for his band. The silicone absorbs your body heat and actually gets more pliable. After a few minutes, you can’t even tell that it’s in. Much more comfortable for long sets, plus they give better isolation than hard acrylic.”

- See more at: [Only registered users can see links.]

finally here is some info about lighting: [Only registered users can see links.]

[Only registered users can see links.]
pgr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #122
dandtrock

Sounds like a good mix
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #123
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

so no Butch on the keys.... I didn't realize.
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #124
Bluewater34
Is Old

Live Trax Vol. 34 - June 24, 1999 | Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poth Ead View Post
so no Butch on the keys.... I didn't realize.

Yeah, he only did the stadiums and a few non-stadiums (including LS) at the very end of the summer in '99.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #125
Vorony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Are you talking about the IEMs? Boyd, Carter and Roi were the first to start using them, then Dave. Stefan was the last hold-out. They started using them in '98. Not for every show but a good number of them. IIRC, you can see some of them wearing/using them at the Tabernacle show on 4/21/98. The exact day they all started using them consistently? I don't know. If I had to guess it would probably the beginning of the '00 tour. I remember Stefan wasn't using his all the time towards the end of '99.
It looks like Stefan is back to using a wedge this year. Maybe a combination of IEMs and a floor wedge. But he definitely has one in front of him based on the videos I've checked out from this tour.
Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #126
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
It looks like Stefan is back to using a wedge this year. Maybe a combination of IEMs and a floor wedge. But he definitely has one in front of him based on the videos I've checked out from this tour.
I have not checked out any videos so I could be way off butttt
That's most likely a wedge he had made a yr or so ago that feeds bass to him as he wanted to "feel" more
You will often times see him with a foot on it

Edit, just saw a 41 video and he has a wedge, not the "fonz foot wedge" I was referring too
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #127
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Damn, I thought this was coming out Tuesday, but smart move to release it at N1 of Deer Creek!
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #128
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

Feels great having a release I can't friggin wait for to come out again.

Read through the almanac writeup on it inbetween studying breaks today, it's got me even more excited now
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #129
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Feels great having a release I can't friggin wait for to come out again.

Read through the almanac writeup on it inbetween studying breaks today, it's got me even more excited now
What are you studying for again? I know you're always studying
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #130
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
What are you studying for again? I know you're always studying
MCATS. Taking one last shot at medical school before I get too old to go for it
Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #131
Mitch

Quote:
MCATS. Taking one last shot at medical school before I get too old to go for it
Oh wow, good for you. good luck
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #132
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
I have not checked out any videos so I could be way off butttt
That's most likely a wedge he had made a yr or so ago that feeds bass to him as he wanted to "feel" more
You will often times see him with a foot on it

Edit, just saw a 41 video and he has a wedge, not the "fonz foot wedge" I was referring too
At SPAC the wedge was gone and he had a full blown monitor just like Tim had. He was still wearing his iem though so maybe the wedge just wasn't giving him the bass he wanted
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #133
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

The clip we got has me interested in the Chet again, do you guys remember when he switched to the natural one? It doesn't sound like a factory stock Chet to me like the black one does. Could be a number of reasons, but has me wondering if that natural one was completely stock or modded a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Oh wow, good for you. good luck
Thanks dude, I'm gonna need alot of it
Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #134
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
The clip we got has me interested in the Chet again, do you guys remember when he switched to the natural one? It doesn't sound like a factory stock Chet to me like the black one does. Could be a number of reasons, but has me wondering if that natural one was completely stock or modded a bit
I can't speak to the differences between the models he used, but I vaguely remember reading something a very long time ago about his Chets and they were not factory models. He and his techs heavily modified them. Now, whether he modified the different guitars in different ways, I don't know.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #135
SeekUpAB

None of them were stock. He had a Fishman installed in all his Chet's. "Modifications to the neck" was always a line I heard but never knew more details on that. The natural first showed up in '99 as far as I know and the black was back for its limited use in 2000.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #136
tbowie

Anyone know if there is a valid discount code for a % off a DMBlive download like there was with LT33? I missed out on the 4/5/95 show and would like to order it with LT34 (at a discount if possible).
Old 07-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #137
Bluewater34
Is Old

The discount for LT33 wasn't applied with a code. You automatically got it when you added both to the cart.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #138
tbowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
The discount for LT33 wasn't applied with a code. You automatically got it when you added both to the cart.
Thanks, guess they aren't doing that for LT34.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #139
celluloid hero

Yeah it was specific to those two shows, not a buy 1 get half off a DMBlive.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #140
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowie View Post
Thanks, guess they aren't doing that for LT34.
Yeah, I think it was just because they were announced together.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc