These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #81
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandtrock View Post
What are the obvious reasons? Sandwiched between 1998 and 2000?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I don't get it either, 99 was when I became a die hard fan
I think he was referring to some of the really rough Boyd performances scattered through out the year, which ultimately killed those particular shows. And the fact that yes it's sandwiched between revered tours.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #82
SeekUpAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Yep. 7/9/00 was the last show where it was used for more than half a show and 7/25/00 Mile High was the last known show of that era where the Chet was used. I forget what song it was used for.
Oddly used it for the entire set on 7/5, including 12-string songs.

What songs did he use it on at 7/9? Or what songs in general were the Chet songs that year?
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #83
dandtrock

Quote:
I think he was referring to some of the really rough Boyd performances scattered through out the year, which ultimately killed those particular shows. And the fact that yes it's sandwiched between revered tours.
In an age where you can make a fart sound like Whitney Houston with auto tune there is nothing that can be done in post to fix skrees?
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #84
greykitkat36

Quote:
In an age where you can make a fart sound like Whitney Houston with auto tune there is nothing that can be done in post to fix skrees?
Yeah, I've always thought this too. They had Boyd re-record and overdub his parts for the Live in Chicago release and that was 15 years ago. At best he could come in and do that if needed, but I guess it's easier to just find a show where he was more in point.,
Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #85
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah, I've always thought this too. They had Boyd re-record and overdub his parts for the Live in Chicago release and that was 15 years ago. At best he could come in and do that if needed, but I guess it's easier to just find a show where he was more in point.,

How much confidence do we have that his overdubs in 2015 would be better than his playing in 1999?

Anyway, I'd rather they eliminate those shows/songs than "fix" them. I hate it when bands do that.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #86
Fan#41

Quote:
I was under the impression he meant we generally skip listening to shows from '99 because a good portion of them fall short mostly because of Boyd.

Quote:
I'm still not sold on the rumor that this actually happened. Without a doubt there were major touch-ups and such done to some of Boyd's solos for that release but the idea that they made him go into a booth and record solos for a live release...eh. Especially for a band with so many options to choose for a release, it just makes no sense.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #87
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Cant we just compare to a crowd source or the webcast?
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #88
greykitkat36

Quote:

I'm still not sold on the rumor that this actually happened. Without a doubt there were major touch-ups and such done to some of Boyd's solos for that release but the idea that they made him go into a booth and record solos for a live release...eh. Especially for a band with so many options to choose for a release, it just makes no sense.
Yeah, I'm just stating the rumor for people who forgot or didn't know, but I also find it hard to believe they'd do that. Not sure where that rumor started or if it had any truth to it, but they def did something to those solos it appears. Considering it was only the second full band love release at the time it's possible they decided to fix it,.. Because either hey had already announced they were releasing it to the public or Beacuse the rest of the show was too good NOT to release because of Boyd.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #89
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Is it possible that the LIOG solo that they used wasn't from Boyd then? It is clearly different from the real solo.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #90
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Is it possible that the LIOG solo that they used wasn't from Boyd then? It is clearly different from the real solo.
No it's def Boyd, but like I said, he probably went into a studio a re-recorded it, and maybe the spliced the two versions together in post (very possible to do for someone with lots of experience doing it, not that difficult to make it sound like the same solo.)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #91
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
No it's def Boyd, but like I said, he probably went into a studio a re-recorded it, and maybe the spliced the two versions together in post (very possible to do for someone with lots of experience doing it, not that difficult to make it sound like the same solo.)

Yea, that's what I remember reading many years ago.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #92
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Yea, that's what I remember reading many years ago.
Yeah when you listen to the release his solos sound very reverb'd out, which is usually a recording technique when you want to take a part and blend it into the background of the mix. So if Boyd figured out what he was playing originally by listening to be recording and then replayed it, the engineer would have just taken the best parts of each, and used reverb to make it sound like they its just one solo. Hard to explain but that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #93
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Yeah when you listen to the release his solos sound very reverb'd out, which is usually a recording technique when you want to take a part and blend it into the background of the mix. So if Boyd figured out what he was playing originally by listening to be recording and then replayed it, the engineer would have just taken the best parts of each, and used reverb to make it sound like they its just one solo. Hard to explain but that's what it sounds like to me.
thanks for the explanation. I like learning more about this stuff.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #94
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post

What songs did he use it on at 7/9? Or what songs in general were the Chet songs that year?
I remember Recently. Also always used on Stay iirc.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #95
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I just downloaded the aud for this show. I'm gonna give it a listen now.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #96
celluloid hero

give it a review in the Rate a Show thread.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #97
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
give it a review in the Rate a Show thread.
you got it
Old 06-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #98
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
They weren't randomly selected. The highlights are the full #40 (light accompaniment by Stefan and Carter), a very good Two Step, and whoever wrote the write up did not lie about The Last Stop. There's a 5 minute silence before it because Dave went through 2 guitars before getting one that worked and he took his rage out on it.
This makes me happy.

Any chance they're giving us the Heartbeat with that Rapunzel track? I'm guessing not.

I want this thing now. Haven't felt that way about an LT since 23 I think.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #99
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post

On 7/9 the Chet was used on everything except True Reflections, Tripping Billies, Watchtower, Sweet Up & Down and Grey St. So 13 of the 18 songs that night were on the Chet. That number would dwindle with each passing Stadium show up until 7/25/00 where it was used on one or two songs, never to be seen again.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #100
SeekUpAB

Quote:
On 7/9 the Chet was used on everything except True Reflections, Tripping Billies, Watchtower, Sweet Up & Down and Grey St. So 13 of the 18 songs that night were on the Chet. That number would dwindle with each passing Stadium show up until 7/25/00 where it was used it on one or two songs, never to be seen again.
Good info, thanks. Big fan of the Chet and always curious about the specifics of the end of its run.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc