These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #101
ThememanXX
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 33,148
I remember #27 from Randall's being pretty good, but I don't think any version truly stands out. I'm psyched about Kill the King and Sugar Will though. And that '07 Typical when they were messing around and playing the jam. That's pretty cool. The rest is just money.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #102
torres
 
torres's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,242
Does this Sugar Will have a sax solo?
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #103
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I remember #27 from Randall's being pretty good, but I don't think any version truly stands out. I'm psyched about Kill the King and Sugar Will though. And that '07 Typical when they were messing around and playing the jam. That's pretty cool. The rest is just money.
I think 8.2.07 is a clear stand out, though the first week of the tour it was all kinds of awesome. But that's it for me, it's pretty consistently solid across the board. Little things like mixing up the "feels like dying" & "has me dying" makes a difference to me. This particular version has a consistent change up of those lyrics, and a swagger that matches the '70s nightclub feel of the song. His delivery matches the lyrics as well. When he should sound sad, he does, when he's sick of everything, he sounds sick of it. Really good stuff. But it's not like it's anything that absurdly stands out that they *should* have picked.

#27 - August 2, 2007
[Only registered users can see links.]
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #104
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.
 
TheNoise's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 22,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by torres View Post
Does this Sugar Will have a sax solo?
trumpet > breakdown > tim
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #105
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 4,420
God why does Jeff not solo on like half of the things he should solo on? He's my favorite soloist in the band right now by a pretty large margin (as kickass as Tim definitely is, I just prefer Jeff and sax in general) and he keeps giving away all his showstoppers. 41, Warehouse, Sugar Will, Crush... come on dude.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #106
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
The up to 10 tracks is nice, but I feel Frank and Mersh's pain. Not a lot of really inspiring choices here. Just one really classic track would up the quality of this thing so much. And the repeat of Billies is just ridiculous.
Yeah, I just wish that whoever was in charge of releases had a well thought out, cohesive "big picture" view of things. Don't release songs that have already been released (seems so simple, yet...), don't release a track that's going to be released almost simultaneously on the next LT (again, duh, but last year's SDL). And these WH discs should be for unique and/or fantastic performances that would not otherwise see a release in the foreseeable future. I think the Typical, Recently, KTK, and Sugar Will more or less meet those criteria (unless of course any of those full shows get released soon), so I guess it's a decent release, but of course could be so much better with some thought put in to it.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #107
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Yeah, I just wish that whoever was in charge of releases had a well thought out, cohesive "big picture" view of things. Don't release songs that have already been released (seems so simple, yet...), don't release a track that's going to be released almost simultaneously on the next LT (again, duh, but last year's SDL). And these WH discs should be for unique and/or fantastic performances that would not otherwise see a release in the foreseeable future. I think the Typical, Recently, KTK, and Sugar Will more or less meet those criteria (unless of course any of those full shows get released soon), so I guess it's a decent release, but of course could be so much better with some thought put in to it.
It seems so simple, yet they have released a shit ton of tracks everywhere in every form over the years and like 2 have found their way on to multiple discs. There's no reason for it, but it's hardly criminal. Plus Scranton was a band pick. That wasn't picked the same way as most live shows. Figure Warehouse disc gets announced two months in advance. It comes out right around show announcement time. Show announcement time doesn't come too long after show selection time. If they ask the band what show from the last tour really stood out to them while the Warehouse disc is already in production, they aren't going to not pick the show, and it's too late to change songs on the disc. With as much as they release, the fact it was a Live Trax and a Warehouse disc, both which require a lot of prep time, they just synced in an unfortunate way. The fact that the So Damn Lucky was picked on a disc where they did go out of their way to get some unique stuff (I get not unique enough to some), and then a separate group that actually played the show picked the finale of the same show actually means everyone was on the same page.

I'm not saying there's nothing to gripe about, and the Billies is a bit more egregious because there are websites that track live releases. But it's understandable on rare occasion. I just hope it doesn't become a habit.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #108
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 15,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I think 8.2.07 is a clear stand out, though the first week of the tour it was all kinds of awesome.
Agreed, those earliest versions were some of the best (if not the best, period). 8/2/07 was a great one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
And these WH discs should be for unique and/or fantastic performances that would not otherwise see a release in the foreseeable future.
Agreed. If we can bang out some ideas off the top of our head easily they shouldn't have such a hard time either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
If they ask the band what show from the last tour really stood out to them while the Warehouse disc is already in production, they aren't going to not pick the show, and it's too late to change songs on the disc.
This makes sense. Poor timing rather than poor planning, not a big deal. And the other repeats i.e. 12/8/98 #41 are forgivable because you got a full show release years after the track release. This Billies thing is just kinda dumb though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #109
torres
 
torres's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
God why does Jeff not solo on like half of the things he should solo on? He's my favorite soloist in the band right now by a pretty large margin (as kickass as Tim definitely is, I just prefer Jeff and sax in general) and he keeps giving away all his showstoppers. 41, Warehouse, Sugar Will, Crush... come on dude.
I remember during the Gorge webcast a couple years back, on #41, the band was in a groove and seemed to be waiting on Jeff to come in for his solo. He never did, and Tim picked it up.

Disregard. Wrong performance. Maybe i'm thinking of Crush? Either way, Jeff needs to solo more.
torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #110
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I guess it's a decent release, but of course could be so much better with some thought put in to it.
The thing is, thought gets put into them. I think like around the first couple Warehouse 8s, those were just random grabs of songs that hadn't been on those releases. But there's definitely thought in this. Recently and Typical are the only repeats, both are very different versions from the previous release. The Sugar Will is different from any release, The Riff and Snow Outside are two of the more popular tracks from the album, both released for the first time. You & Me is not on a Warehouse disc and is a direct segue of their Riff pick, Dreaming Tree was tits in 2007 and the other version from the tour is nice, but has a few issues. Then by far the best version of Kill the King and the first from the original tour.

It's not the thought you would have put into it, and really only the Recently might land in a top 50 performances of the past 5 years, but there's thought into the picks. Even the Billies is the first time it's been on a Warehouse disc, right? Just a bad date.

I'm not an apologist, I just think comments like "no thought" are off the mark.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #111
Bigsho
 
Bigsho's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Posts: 791
Heres the sugar will
[Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
Blossom- '07, '08, '09, '10, '12, '13, '14,'15, '16
Columbus- '16
PNC Park- '10
Lakeside (all 3 nights) - '11
Deer Creek N2- '12
Burgettstown N2- '12
Bigsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #112
ThememanXX
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 33,148
for the lazy:

__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #113
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...
 
Poth Ead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,201
Haven't been around here in a bit... there are some very nice selections


Sugar Will 03.06.10 O2 Arena, London, England
Tripping Billies 08.22.07 Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH
Recently 04.18.09 John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville, VA
The Riff 09.07.12 Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre, Chula Vista, CA
Snow Outside 09.09.12 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View,
Typical Situation 09.19.07 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC
Kill The King 06.06.06 DTE Energy Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI

Happy to get this Sugar Will and Riff. Snow Outside too. Debut KTK is pretty fuckin hot.

Including this Billies is odd as we have it.

I'll take any Typical any time
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #114
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
It's not the thought you would have put into it, and really only the Recently might land in a top 50 performances of the past 5 years, but there's thought into the picks. Even the Billies is the first time it's been on a Warehouse disc, right? Just a bad date.

I'm not an apologist, I just think comments like "no thought" are off the mark.
I hear what you're saying, but the fact that we can look at DMB Almanac and see within one minute that that exact Billies was already released shows that someone's asleep at the wheel, at least to some extent.

But again, like I said, I'm genuinely enthused with about half the tracks, which ain't bad.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #115
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poth Ead View Post
I'll take any Typical any time
no doubt
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #116
JustinC
 
JustinC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
The 3/6/10 Sugar Will is tighter
fixed
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #117
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 15,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsho View Post
Heres the sugar will
[Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks for the link

I'm partial to the '04 versions but Tim kills on this. And while I hate the "sweet/good" chorus change the verses with the "Heaven is a place where..." is kinda cool (though it's a Talking Heads rip off)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #118
JWood
 
JWood's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 23,369
Sugar Will 3.6.10
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #119
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 19,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Really glad to see that Kill The King on there. One of my favorite performances that year.
Best one ever.



Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
The up to 10 tracks is nice, but I feel Frank and Mersh's pain. Not a lot of really inspiring choices here.
Sugar Will & Recently are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I remember #27 from Randall's being pretty good, but I don't think any version truly stands out. I'm psyched about Kill the King and Sugar Will though. And that '07 Typical when they were messing around and playing the jam. That's pretty cool. The rest is just money.
It's decent. Dave's voice is kinda hoarse, but he sings it kinda differently. I remember a flub towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I think 8.2.07 is a clear stand out, though the first week of the tour it was all kinds of awesome. But that's it for me, it's pretty consistently solid across the board. Little things like mixing up the "feels like dying" & "has me dying" makes a difference to me. This particular version has a consistent change up of those lyrics, and a swagger that matches the '70s nightclub feel of the song. His delivery matches the lyrics as well. When he should sound sad, he does, when he's sick of everything, he sounds sick of it. Really good stuff. But it's not like it's anything that absurdly stands out that they *should* have picked.

#27 - August 2, 2007
[Only registered users can see links.]
I always loved the DMB debut the day before, but I might be confusing it with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mood View Post
Sugar Will 3.6.10
Ah, good. I always forget which one was the better one.
__________________
Currently listening to:
7/2/04, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #120
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 19,014
I appreciate having that 07 Typical on there, the intro is fairly unique, etc...But it's still a 2007 performance. Plenty of others from 04, 2012 and the 90s that I'd rather have
__________________
Currently listening to:
7/2/04, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05123 seconds with 13 queries