These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #1481
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The bloom is definitely off the rose. Iíve gone back to drinking macro, or macro micro types (sierra types) if Iím just looking for a beer. I donít want to spend $20 on a 4 pk and then not like it. But it also is just so bad for you, Iíve mostly moved on to bourbon
Yeah, Iím drinking mostly whiskey and mixing cocktails for fun now, but I always keep some local craft beer in the beer fridge. But yeah, it got both overwhelming and disappointingly homogeneous.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #1482
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Overwhelming is right. My local liquor store has so much local beer, it’s insane. There must be 200 different four 4pks to choose from. I’m also not a big NE IPA guy, which is what most everything is nowadays. The ABV are just getting silly too. Drinking more than one 8%’er just isn’t in the cards for me anymore. I make my 3 trips to VT every year, load up with Alchemist, and make that last as long as possible.

One other thing is how all the beers people use to line up for just sit on shelves now. You can go into stores and see KBS, CBS, BCBS all just collecting dust. We also get a steady supply of Lawsons now which is nice. They’re starting to distribute Sip, which is delicious. Can’t wait to have a few of those on the deck when the whether turns.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #1483
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

All Things Booze... and food too

Apologies in advance for the lame and laziness of this ask, but can anyone recommend a good countertop toaster-oven? I suppose Iíd like to be able to do pizza in it if possible, but Iím more thinking bagels, open faced sandwiches, nachos, and the like. It also looks like some of these newer ones have other capabilities now, too. If there is a feature I shouldnít miss out on, comment on that as well. Thanks
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #1484
Bluewater34
Is Old

My old toaster crapped out a few weeks back, so I bought a Mueller toaster oven that I found on sale on Amazon for $40. It’s not an air-fryer model, because I already have an air fryer, but after a little trial and error to get used to the differences of using a toaster oven, I’m happy with it. If I had a complaint it’s that the heating from the top heating element is a little uneven. But it does very well for small baking needs and everyday toasting of bread and bagels.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:08 AM   #1485
NiCK (Crush)

I was able to find a 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam recently and good god damn I had forgotten just how wonderful of a beverage it is.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #1486
Josh.0

Indeed it is wonderful. Still one of the OGís of the craft hops wave.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #1487
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Overwhelming is right. My local liquor store has so much local beer, it’s insane. There must be 200 different four 4pks to choose from. I’m also not a big NE IPA guy, which is what most everything is nowadays. The ABV are just getting silly too. Drinking more than one 8%’er just isn’t in the cards for me anymore. I make my 3 trips to VT every year, load up with Alchemist, and make that last as long as possible.

One other thing is how all the beers people use to line up for just sit on shelves now. You can go into stores and see KBS, CBS, BCBS all just collecting dust. We also get a steady supply of Lawsons now which is nice. They’re starting to distribute Sip, which is delicious. Can’t wait to have a few of those on the deck when the whether turns.
We’re in the same boat on beer. 400 calorie 20oz NE IPAs at 8-10% ABV aren’t what my mid-30’s body is interested in anymore. I think breweries would be wise to go back to 12oz cans because the tall boys push a lot of buyers like me away. I know I MAYBE want about 10oz-12oz of those types of beers MAYBE once a week or every other week and that’s about it. But they age poorly so often I buy these four packs and they sit in the fridge for months, then taste like shit, so I end up tossing them or giving them to someone that doesn’t mind skunked hops. There are also WAY too many breweries that have flooded beer stores with subpar hop bombs that are trying to charge Alchemist prices.

I still love sours. Lambic is king, and has been for a long time for me. 4-5% ABV and you can often find 375ml bottles. Perfect. Whole thing is like 150-200 calories and you don’t wake up feeling like shit. Only issue is it’s pricey, but it is what it is.

Back to hops: if you don’t want to drive all the way to Stowe but want a really well-made VT four pack, try Upper Pass. Cloud Drop is my favorite VT DIPA, sans when Hill brews Double Citra (which I think is constantly available now - IMO it’s the best DIPA in the world).
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #1488
beitsaad
it must have been the roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Weíre in the same boat on beer. 400 calorie 20oz NE IPAs at 8-10% ABV arenít what my mid-30ís body is interested in anymore. I think breweries would be wise to go back to 12oz cans because the tall boys push a lot of buyers like me away. I know I MAYBE want about 10oz-12oz of those types of beers MAYBE once a week or every other week and thatís about it. But they age poorly so often I buy these four packs and they sit in the fridge for months, then taste like shit, so I end up tossing them or giving them to someone that doesnít mind skunked hops. There are also WAY too many breweries that have flooded beer stores with subpar hop bombs that are trying to charge Alchemist prices.
I hear you there, I realized I couldn't just drink 4 packs day after day of M43 anymore, luckily there are a lot of low-cal IPAs out in Michigan right now that I can at least have something with a little flavor.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #1489
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Weíre in the same boat on beer. 400 calorie 20oz NE IPAs at 8-10% ABV arenít what my mid-30ís body is interested in anymore. I think breweries would be wise to go back to 12oz cans because the tall boys push a lot of buyers like me away. I know I MAYBE want about 10oz-12oz of those types of beers MAYBE once a week or every other week and thatís about it. But they age poorly so often I buy these four packs and they sit in the fridge for months, then taste like shit, so I end up tossing them or giving them to someone that doesnít mind skunked hops. There are also WAY too many breweries that have flooded beer stores with subpar hop bombs that are trying to charge Alchemist prices.

I still love sours. Lambic is king, and has been for a long time for me. 4-5% ABV and you can often find 375ml bottles. Perfect. Whole thing is like 150-200 calories and you donít wake up feeling like shit. Only issue is itís pricey, but it is what it is.

Back to hops: if you donít want to drive all the way to Stowe but want a really well-made VT four pack, try Upper Pass. Cloud Drop is my favorite VT DIPA, sans when Hill brews Double Citra (which I think is constantly available now - IMO itís the best DIPA in the world).
Pretty much agree with all of this post but feel obligated to point out that every 4 pack at The Alchemist is $12.50 which actually drives home your point about the absurd pricing from mediocre breweries even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #1490
Josh.0

Wow, yeah I forgot Alchemist is still only $12.50, for some reason I thought they were $14-$16 like seemingly everyone else now. Itís crazy to me that so many shit breweries - of which there are a lot now - seem to think theyíre deserving of Hill, Alchemist, Lawsonís etc. price tags. Itís laughable.

Market is way over-saturated with bros that were, like, college buddies and one of them had a rich parent/uncle/grandpa that hooked them up with starter funds, yet neither bro has any brewing experience outside of their 5-gallon Home Depot bucket and a lobster pot.

Didnít Shaun Hill, IIRC, brew for years in I think Denmark before starting HF? Thereís a reason the guy is as good as he is...he took the time to become really fucking good at it. Few others do that anymore, many just take old family money and turn it into some BS half-assed operation. I donít feel bad if those are the ones going under during COVID. Way too many imitators ripping people off in the craft beer world now.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #1491
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Pretty much agree with all of this post but feel obligated to point out that every 4 pack at The Alchemist is $12.50 which actually drives home your point about the absurd pricing from mediocre breweries even more.
Have you been to OEC Brewing in Oxford? They consistently produce and select some of the best Sours I've ever had. I went last September to pick up a few bottles of Plumtastic - [Only registered users can see links.] and then ended up grabbing a bunch of other stuff like:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Plus, it's just a great place to relax and enjoy some tastings. Hopefully they're able to at least have some spaced out seating this Spring for in-house tasting and eats.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #1492
mja271

I enjoy the hangs at a bunch of places that have popped up locally in recent years but it's abundantly clear that so many of these breweries are home brewers who got family/friend money to try and scale up their hobby. Which is fine in some capacity, not everything has to be world class beer. But when you're then sending 4 packs of your subpar beer into the distribution void and charging like $18 it's hard to be supportive.

Strangely enough over the weekend me and the wife were randomly watching a video of John Kimmich drinking his own beer (hilarious btw, seek it out on YT) and ended up watching a HF retrospective that recounted Shaun's experience of spending a few years overseas under a renowned brewmaster. That was a clear aha moment, like no shit this guy is amazing. He honed his craft for years before starting his own operation, and it's abundantly clear the difference in quality he produces.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #1493
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Have you been to OEC Brewing in Oxford? They consistently produce and select some of the best Sours I've ever had. I went last September to pick up a few bottles of Plumtastic - [Only registered users can see links.] and then ended up grabbing a bunch of other stuff like:

Plus, it's just a great place to relax and enjoy some tastings. Hopefully they're able to at least have some spaced out seating this Spring for in-house tasting and eats.
Big fan of OEC. Consistently excellent beers and great environment
Quote:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #1494
Josh.0

OEC brews INSANELY delicious stuff. I knew a spot in Denver that would on occasion get OEC kegs, which blew my mind, and one of the people that worked there would always give me a heads up when it was close to getting tapped because she knew I loved it and sought it out.

Truly amazing stuff. I may have to swing down there soon.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #1495
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

All Things Booze... and food too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
I was able to find a 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam recently and good god damn I had forgotten just how wonderful of a beverage it is.

I worked in the original Kalamazoo brewery location in their stellar music venue and beer garden stage from 2012-2015 mixing bands (Digico SD8, D&B arrays on D12ís, B2ís, very legit). Fantastic opportunity, a lot of great bands (too many to name, but TR3 also came through and thatís when I met Tim), so much good beer. I really miss Hopslam. Flew in yesterday to surprise mom for her 60th. There will be a stop downtown at Bellís
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #1496
beitsaad
it must have been the roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I worked in the original Kalamazoo brewery location in their stellar music venue and beer garden stage from 2012-2015 mixing bands (Digico SD8, D&B arrays on D12ís, B2ís, very legit). Fantastic opportunity, a lot of great bands (too many to name, but TR3 also came through and thatís when I met Tim), so much good beer. I really miss Hopslam. Flew in yesterday to surprise mom for her 60th. There will be a stop downtown at Bellís
you should be able to find it all around too, things don't move as fast as they used to.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc