These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #1681
greppson
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
I forgot how much I liked those 2014 versions. It’s the closest you are going to get to the 2004 versions. I like this GGT. It even has some improve lyrics to begin

[Only registered users can see links.]

Then the gorge had a powerful jam

One of my student's went to this show (7/2/04) with her friend and it was her friend's (kelsey) birthday and they had a meet and greet. Kind of cool when I hear this one that I know who it is referring to.

And for anyone that wants to check out other GGTs: [Only registered users can see links.]

greppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #1682
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
I forgot how much I liked those 2014 versions. Itís the closest you are going to get to the 2004 versions. I like this GGT. It even has some improve lyrics to begin

Then the gorge had a powerful jam

Unfortunately, Dave decided not to finger pick his part and just strum instead, which kind of kills it for me personally.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #1683
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
Unfortunately, Dave decided not to finger pick his part and just strum instead, which kind of kills it for me personally.
Completely kills it. Song is absolutely useless without it. Heís such a fool.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #1684
Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
Some quick notes as I've been listening:

-Stefan is slick af on this
-Sugar Will shit wtf happened to this song
-Band is on fire throughout
-STJL is peak old school DMB in the quickest way possible
I have an irrational level of hatred that the line "too much of a good thing, maybe not so sweet" turned into "too much of a good thing, maybe not so...GOOOOOOOD"

It's awkward af and just grates at my brain.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #1685
Tomacco

Seems like almost everyone here has that irrational hatred for that change.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #1686
greykitkat36

Sugar Will really never needed any changing. It was perfect, Dave just had to write some verses
Old 02-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #1687
Tomacco

Yeah I like Dave's changes to the song have been positive, but musically I miss the intro and the longer jam at the end.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #1688
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah I like Dave's changes to the song have been positive, but musically I miss the intro and the longer jam at the end.
I prefer the looseness of the original 2004 arrangement, but I also really enjoyed the 2009 versions. The one that was released on the bonus disc with the lyrics (seemingly) about Roi is very nice and one I go back to a lot. The verse change is super annoying, however. The more recent versions I have found very boring, however. But, I'd need to listen a little closer, I just remember being so disappointed by what had happened to the song when hearing it live at Great Woods.

He does seemingly ruin most songs when he plays with / develops them, but he did a great job with Crazy Easy in 2014. Of course they ditched it because.. dmb.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #1689
.Gary.

I love Santana's fills on the Live Trax 2 version.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1690
Tomacco

Yeah, Crazy Easy in 2013 was awesome.
I don't think Joyride has gained or lost anything over the years.
Hello Again has always been pretty solid. Did they cut the Carter solo in 2018 though? I can't remember.
Good Good Time wasn't bad in 2014, but more picking would be better.
Sugar Will definitely should at least have a longer end jam.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1691
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Thereís a really good sugar will (and grey street) with jamaal Milner. Worth a listen.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #1692
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Thereís a really good sugar will (and grey street) with jamaal Milner. Worth a listen.
7/23/2004, great version
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #1693
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah, Crazy Easy in 2013 was awesome.
I don't think Joyride has gained or lost anything over the years.
Hello Again has always been pretty solid. Did they cut the Carter solo in 2018 though? I can't remember.
Good Good Time wasn't bad in 2014, but more picking would be better.
Sugar Will definitely should at least have a longer end jam.
Here's my take on this:

Crazy Easy - DON'T play it again if not the original way
Joyride - I've never cared for it much, but it's changed the least of those songs
Hello Again - I will always love it and think it's fine with this lineup, I liked the drum solo but am fine without, I just love the song
GGT - DON'T play it again if not the original way, not finder picking it is beyond lame
Sugar Will - NEVER play it again if not the original way, should be a 5 min sax solo only with Carter holding it down 8 days a week
Old 02-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #1694
Steveo Style

Sugar Will got tighter but not better. Repeating the lyrics in the verses is a strange decision. Rashawn ruins the jam.

Crazy Easy got tighter and better with the set lyrics, in my opinion. Similar song evolution as Raven.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #1695
dmb2much40

Crazy Easy was strong in early 2004, but lost its way by the end. I thought it was pretty good when they brought it back in 2013, and it was a shame they dropped it again so fast.

Sugar Will was at its best in 2004, and the 2008/10 performances were ok, but it stunk the way they arranged and shortened it in 2016.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:12 AM   #1696
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Here's my take on this:

Crazy Easy - DON'T play it again if not the original way
Joyride - I've never cared for it much, but it's changed the least of those songs
Hello Again - I will always love it and think it's fine with this lineup, I liked the drum solo but am fine without, I just love the song
GGT - DON'T play it again if not the original way, not finder picking it is beyond lame
Sugar Will - NEVER play it again if not the original way, should be a 5 min sax solo only with Carter holding it down 8 days a week
I would take Crazy Easy so fast these days. It sounded really good in 2013. Boyd just didnít play his fill, but thatís the only difference really. I really enjoy the Jeff sax solo. Very Smooth!

You know whatís Crazy? Crazy Easy hasnít been played in nearly 8 years now. Thatís only 1 year shorter than itís hiatus from 2004-2013. Itís likely the band wonít play again until 2022, so it will at very least match that 9 year hiatus, and probably surpass it. Wow those are scary thoughts. 2013 does not seem that long ago.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #1697
patsfan39

Quote:
I would take Crazy Easy so fast these days. It sounded really good in 2013. Boyd just didnít play his fill, but thatís the only difference really. I really enjoy the Jeff sax solo. Very Smooth!

You know whatís Crazy? Crazy Easy hasnít been played in nearly 8 years now. Thatís only 1 year shorter than itís hiatus from 2004-2013. Itís likely the band wonít play again until 2022, so it will at very least match that 9 year hiatus, and probably surpass it. Wow those are scary thoughts. 2013 does not seem that long ago.
I think about this a lot. I cant tell if its we are getting older or that DMB has only played in 2 summer tours since 2016. I think its the latter, but im really not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #1698
celluloid hero

The next three weeks are either released or previously aired.

LT04 this week, the Europe 3.8.19 next week, and LT33. Next possible archive is 3/19
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #1699
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
The next three weeks are either released or previously aired.

LT04 this week, the Europe 3.8.19 next week, and LT33. Next possible archive is 3/19
Yeah, makes sense. Seems to be they put out something new or different once a month.
Watch, the next "new" one will be that WH exclusive 2019 show.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #1700
Rowsdower
TIMING FREE!

Finally listened to 7/2/04 from start to finish with good headphones on. What an incredible release. This is the band I fell in love with and continue to miss to this day.

There are many highlights here, but a few songs really surprised me with how well they were performed:

- Don't Drink the Water has been stale for a while, but it sounds so fresh and powerful here.
- Sugar Will has some great improv lyrics ("Oh, I'd love to wrap my fingers around your sweet little neck") and the jam has such a hypnotic groove.
- Help Myself is severely underrated as a song, and this performance is proof of that.
- Recently ending instrumentally is a really nice touch. The whole performance is rather stunning overall.
- What Would You Say is smoking here. The jam is tons of fun.
- Cry Freedom is absolute perfection. This is a very emotional and haunting performance.

Stefan is the real MVP of this show, but Boyd deserves a special mention. Not only does he manage to not-suck, but he actually sounds great on many songs.

2004 was such a unique year for DMB and one of many contradictions. The new songs being road tested were fun, but you ended up getting the same 4-5 songs each night. The setlists were consistently strong, but setlist variation was very low. The songs they had in rotation were good, but many rarities were kept in the vault. There were things I would have changed about the tour, but what we got is still one of my favorites of all time.

I also enjoyed how the new songs evolved over the course of the tour. In my opinion, Sugar Will, Hello Again, and Joyride all improved during the tour while Crazy Easy and Good Good Time became less interesting. It's nice we have releases from throughout the 2004 tour to hear these songs as they changed. This show captures both Sugar Will and Hello Again as they grew into the bigger songs they would become, while Crazy Easy and Good Good Time both still sounded inspired. Joyride...well, it still had a ways to go.

Major props to the DMB camp for randomly dropping this show on us.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc