These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #3341
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Let’s not forget the Bears beat Brady this year.

That’s our super bowl
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #3342
Fan#41

If Todd Bowles continues the same scheme next year with this core defense, and Brady continues to gel with his OC and O-line, and receivers, then we will 100% see a back-to-back Superbowl win which hasn't happened since...the last time Brady did it.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #3343
mja271

Yea hard to not see them improving if they stay relatively healthy. I think the last month of the season and the playoffs really unlocked the potential of that group. It all finally came together. Now give them a whole offseason together. Could easily see them as a 13 win team next year right in position to have another go at a ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #3344
Josh.0

Yeah the Bucs have the inside track to the #1 seed next year. With Brees likely done they’re going to win the division - probably sweep it - and their only real competition for the top seed will be Green Bay, which has an “Angry Aaron Rodgers” issue.

I think, at least as an early prediction, we’re going to see the same two teams in the Super Bowl next year. And KC better win it that time, because they’ve got cap hell awaiting afterwards.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #3345
Josh.0

What impressed me the most about the Bucs this year is they didn’t just beat Brees, Rodgers, and Mahomes.

They won three playoff games on the road (Washington, NO, GB) and then beat the shit out of a loaded KC team on a clear and perfect night in Tampa. KC had perfect conditions to show up and run up the score and they still couldn’t do a damn thing.
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #3346
Josh.0

And actually, the Chiefs are already $18 million over the cap this upcoming year and they have a ton of free agents on the defensive side of the ball.

They better be prepared to start winning games 41-38.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 02-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #3347
Josh.0

Sorry for yet another post, but, here’s a total look at the league heading into 2021. The Patriots may be able to right their ship fairly quickly. Remember: the cap is going down to $180 mill in 2021 which means a LOT of quality players will be cut and available at “below market” value.

This is where Bill Belichick, for all the shit he’s taken this week, knows he may be the one laughing in the end if he can rebuild the Patriots fairly quickly with below-market contracts in a year where he has a ton of cap space. I suspect they’ll free up even more space by cutting some high-priced vets that had opt-out in 2020, paving the way for young guys to get reps and move into starter roles in 2021 (such as Kyle Dugger).

Half the league has from $4 million to -$74 million (yikes) in cap space. Remember, teams need a few million dollars free just to sign their 2021 draft class. Hello bargain FA’s!

The Jags are in an incredible spot where they’re about to get a generational QB on a rookie contract with by far the highest available cap space in the league in a year where quality FA’s will be bargains. There’s a chance, if they don’t fuck it up, Jacksonville is going to get really good really quick.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #3348
Fan#41

The Bucs just found their groove and got hot at the perfect time in December. It took them 3 months of football to work as a truly cohesive unit both offensively and defensively. The whole season everyone was taking about Tampa's secondary being the weak-link that will cost them a shot at making it deep into the playoffs, but look what happened? The last 4 games of the season that secondary really started to play harder, stronger and communicate like a championship minded defense and that intensity carried over into the playoffs and eventually the Superbowl.

I don't remember if it was Shannon or Skip yesterday who also mentioned how effective the Bucs O-Line was. Brady was heavy/rush-pressured a total 4 times all game. Most of his Superbowl appearances he's been pressured at least 6 times a Quarter. That allowed the offense play calling to remain so balanced throughout the game by putting the ball in Jones and Leonard's hands, then creating space for Play Action calls which 3 of those PA calls were passes to Gronk, 2 TD's and a 20 yard gain. It was an incredibly fine display a team that was playing at very determined and intense and focused level on both sides of the ball.

Also, while I do agree with some people saying Brady should have also been flagged with that whole honey badger squabble, I was just so happy to see that fight and fire and grit in Tom after 20 fucking years...you rarely see that fire in an athlete that has played that many years at that age. When he was barking at Mathieu and then ran after him to bark some more...I knew right then and there if this guy doesn't get injured...he's playing beyond 45.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #3349
K270
Kan Pai

So, when does the Bad Lip Reading video come out for this year? One of the things I look forward to at the end of the NFL season.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #3350
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Before i say this, I want to say I am a big fan of Serena Williams and have nothing bad to say about her.... BUT!

I can't stand people saying she is 'better' than Tom Brady because she has 23 majors vs Tom Bradys 7 super bowls.

How many Super Bowls would Tom Brady have if there were 4 every year?
Old 02-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #3351
greykitkat36

Josh is 100% wrong about Mahomes, but he's 100% right about the cap. Once they can't afford to keep all these weapons, we're going to really see how good Mahomes is and if he can lead a new group of talent. No doubt it'll be an adjustment period. I do think Mahomes has all the of X factor needed, but he's still young, and he has plenty to learn and can get better still in terms of the "control" part of the game.

As far as Bucs repeating, it's just really hard to do, only the Pats have done it in the past 25 years once. There's always injuries and you just never know. Green Bay, Rams and Seattle will be threats again for sure, 49ers will be healthy and back next year and I think Arizona is going to be a real player as well. Certainly won't be easy.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #3352
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
So, when does the Bad Lip Reading video come out for this year? One of the things I look forward to at the end of the NFL season.
Might be my favorite one. Love that they started doing the key&peele player intro style.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #3353
Fan#41

Skip and Shannon talking about some guys potentially taking paycuts to keep the current Bucs roster:

Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #3354
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

It's crazy that players have to make that sacrifice.

I don't like salary caps in pro sports. It benefits owners over everyone else.

The league makes 7B a year off media rights deals alone. Why on earth is team payroll capped at ~200m? Crazy
Old 02-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #3355
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
It's crazy that players have to make that sacrifice.

I don't like salary caps in pro sports. It benefits owners over everyone else.

The league makes 7B a year off media rights deals alone. Why on earth is team payroll capped at ~200m? Crazy
So that the same teams don't keep winning every year. Look at baseball--no salary cap and it's always the same teams every year. Also, it's not like these players are making minimum wage either We're talking a few million off their double digit million salaries. Yes, the owners make much more than the players, but they also own the team and can do whatever they want. Players these days make 10X the amount they did 30 years ago. I don't feel bad for them.

Then again, NBA has a salary cap and they have the same problem as baseball, even worse so. But I think that has much more to do with the sport itself than anything else.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #3356
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Mlb hasn’t had back to back WS champions since the Yankees 98-00. There is more parity in MLB than you realize.

Since 2000, there have been more unique mlb champions (14) than the nfl (13).

And the median nfl salary is 850K.

If you still want an nfl cap it should absolutely be higher than 200m. I just don’t think we should be celebrating players taking pay cuts to stay on some teams. The balance is way off.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #3357
greykitkat36

Quote:
Mlb hasn’t had back to back WS champions since the Yankees 98-00. There is more parity in MLB than you realize.

If you still want an nfl cap it should absolutely be higher than 200m. I just don’t think we should be celebrating players taking pay cuts to stay on some teams. The balance is way off.
That's true but the teams in the playoffs are very very similar, and it's usually for the most part the teams with the highest payroll (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Astros etc.) Obviously there are outliers like The Rays and Braves who have managed to be really good without grabbing top players, but for the most part, there really isn't a lot of parity imo. The teams at the top of all the divisions have been consistent for years. Now that Mets finally upgraded their payroll, you'll notice them being much more competitive now too.

The way MLB GMs have handled their farm systems have changed a lot though, and more teams are now looking to develop young players at the AAA level so they don't need to have big payrolls or spend huge money on bad contracts where the back 5 years end up killing them.

I agree NFL cap could definitely be higher, I'm with you on that. And despite the small cap, the NFL playoffs have often looked super similar too the last few years. It's not all about the money either, sometimes there really is a talent in GM/Coaching that can find the right pieces that fit and build a winning team without a lot of top name talent. The Pats have done it year after year.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #3358
greykitkat36

That being said, the cap has worked in the NFL in stopping dynasties (aside from the Pats). The Seahawks dropped down once they had to pay Russell Wilson, same will happen to the Chiefs now that Mahomes is making 40 mil and other players are up for contract.

I like salary cap personally because I think it's a skill and an artform to be able to build a team within that framework. When you can just go out and buy whoever you want and outbid other owners, it really becomes more about which owner has more wealth and power to get every good player available. It doesn't always work as we've seen in recent years (The yankees have totally changed their model) but overall, I do think being forced to pick the top players you have to build around makes the league much more interesting and much more about actual skill.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #3359
Fan#41

Quote:

I don't think anyone was "celebrating" it. I think Skip was pointing out the fact that what Evans offered showed character. Skip didn't need to go into a diatribe of how this shouldn't even be the case, it's been said a billion times and every player and analyst agrees. So setting aside the sad fact that this is the case, it also says a lot about what a player is willing to do in this league to win another title...giving up some of his well earned salary. Brady actually did this TWICE in his career, and it got him 3 more rings with the Patriots.

I personally don't care about salary caps. I get the argument, but also it's like crying that Billionaires are not totally feeding the Millionaires. Especially in a time like this...it's hard to feel bad for anyone in either of those positions. I mean to be honest...I'd like to see the league minimums raise. THAT would be more interesting to me because it would add a new element to GM planning in Football considering you have so many players signed for a single season. I think right now the league minimum sits around $600,000. Which is interesting because also with no salary cap...Baseball's league minimum is less at around $500,000.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #3360
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Mahomes is a good quarterback.

But he’s not a great quarterback. At least not yet, and maybe not ever. He has a lot of athleticism at 25 and the best position group in the NFL, maybe in the last decade, to work with..
He's played shitty in both SBs(don't want to hear about his OL, I once saw Brady with a patchwork OL and a C that was tipping the snap come within a missed XP of beating Denver and getting to another SB) . But he'll never be the GOAT because he's 0-2 against him in the playoffs.

Hey man, Brady had 3 SBs before he lost his first and since his 2 losses in '07 & '11 he's won 4 and should have 5 if his defense would have played better which would have been a 3-peat.

GOAT stuff is -

Going up against a guy that was looking to repeat

and stopping him

to defend his own record of being the last QB to win back to to back SBs

There's just never been a Tom Brady in sports.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc