These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #2101
FiddySpence
TDCya

and one of my favorite parts of the show is ed screaming at the back of the crowd to stand up.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #2102
buddha05
Gene Parmesan

Thats a fair point. I feel like most of his ranting as he got older had a purpose politics, etc. When I listen to Boston, and some of the earlier shows it feels like he angry but doesn't know why or how to express it and it comes out in obnoxious ways.

Telling someone that their music choices are poor or yelling to stand up, just feels like a childish way to express the anger. Where as getting angry and directing your energy to a political, environmental message seems to be more productive.

I still consider some of his ranting to be childish and annoying to this day, but in general he seems to channel his anger in more productive ways now.

To go back to the show comparison, I feel like Atlanta is focused where as Boston is a bit erratic. Both intense and powerful, but for me the focus pushes Atlanta over the top.
buddha05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #2103
FiddySpence
TDCya

i guess i just don't see the differences as a "focus" issue. that seems to be a very vague way to describe why they're different.

and what's wrong with telling the crowd to stand up? do you think it's childish when bruce did/does the same thing?

he was young, passionate, and angry. about a lot of things as young artists often are. i don't see a problem with it, and it's one of the things that defined him and made him a magnetic and unpredictable personality. i enjoy it. it's rock and roll.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #2104
buddha05
Gene Parmesan

I can see that its a narrow distinction. There was just so my bile and contempt in Ed's voice, it was almost as though he was lumping the people that come out to the shows with the media. Which may or may not have been true.

When Bruce yells "get up" its a celebratory feel. When Ed yelled get up (at that show) it felt like he wanted to make the crowd prove to him that they were there for the right reasons.

Anger is one thing, focusing that on your music can produce incredible things. However directing it at the people that come out to see you seems a little misguided. That is one of the reasons (speaking broadly) that 70's punk never did it for me.

That said we may just be coming at this from two different perspectives.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #2105
FiddySpence
TDCya

we clearly are. if i were ed i'd be pissed that people were sitting at a PJ show circa 1994 too. they deserve to be yelled at for that.

it's punk rock. if you don't like the punk attitude i could see how that rubs you the wrong way, but i've grown to find insulting your own crowd oddly endearing and ballsy.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #2106
buddha05
Gene Parmesan

Yeah, I just don't get that approach or attitude. I think if a crowd is giving alot back than you play harder and longer, if they are not, then its a one encore night.

The show they played in buenos aires recently was a good example. That crowd sounds like it was going bonkers and seemingly having a great time, as such it seems like the band left it all out there and were exhausted coming off stage.

Kids are stupid and so is the media, but verbally berating them to me is a bit childish, and does nothing but make the entire situation worse; but that is probably the gray which is creeping into my hair talking.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #2107
FiddySpence
TDCya

this whole time i was thinking "this motherfucker seems old and stuffy". glad i was right
Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2108
buddha05
Gene Parmesan

70 year old stuck in a younger man's body. Sad thing is I've been this way since I was 18. If only Barry Manilow and John Tesh could write a decent song, I'd be listening to elevator music by now.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #2109
blrobl

no mention?

Eddie Vedder has announced the postponement of his 15-city U.S. solo tour today due to temporary nerve damage in his right arm, the result of a back injury sustained earlier this year.

... Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis explains, "After having worked aggressively with doctors and physical therapists for the last eight weeks to repair the damage, the intensity of the injury and time needed to heal has made it impossible to play the shows as scheduled. There was hope up until the last minute that the treatments would be successful. Sincerest apologies go out to those who have made plans and bought tickets. Eddie is frustrated beyond measure, but remains positive that come this summer all will be back in good form."

All postponed dates will be rescheduled for November and December 2012. Tickets will be honored for rescheduled dates. Refunds will be available upon request through the point-of-purchase. Fan Club members with Ten Club pre-sale ticket will receive an email regarding proper refund procedures today, Thursday April 5th.

Rescheduled dates are as follows:

Special guest Glen Hansard (The Swell Season, The Frames) will join Vedder on the road for these shows.

Orig. Date New Date City Venue
4-10 10-31 Las Vegas, NV The Pearl
4-11 11-1 Las Vegas, NV The Pearl
4-13 11-4 Phoenix, AZ Comerica Theater
4-16 11-6 Albuquerque, NM Kiva Auditorium
4-17 11-7 El Paso, TX Plaza Theater
4-19 11-18 Tulsa, OK Brady Theater
4-20 11-19 Tulsa, OK Brady Theater
4-22 11-12 Houston, TX Jones Hall for the Performing Arts
4-23 11-13 Houston, TX Jones Hall for the Performing Arts
4-25 11-16 San Antonio, TX Lila Cockrell Theatre
4-27 11-9 Austin, TX Bass Concert Hall
4-28 11-11 Austin, TX Bass Concert Hall
4-30 11-15 Dallas, TX The Music Hall at Fair Park
5-1 11-21 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theater
5-3 N/A New Orleans, LA New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
5-7 11-25 Jacksonville, FL Moran Theater
5-8 11-24 Jacksonville, FL Moran Theater
5-10 12-3 Clearwater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
5-11 12-4 Clearwater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
5-13 11-30 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Broward Center for the Performing Arts
5-14 12-1 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Broward Center for the Performing Arts
5-16 11-27 Orlando, FL Bob Carr Performing Arts Center
5-17 11-28 Orlando, FL Bob Carr Performing Arts Center
blrobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #2110
batleon

I hope that doesn't mean no US Pearl Jam dates in the fall.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #2111
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I hope that doesn't mean no US Pearl Jam dates in the fall.
the "all will be back in good form" by the summer comment i think puts those fears to rest. at least for now.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #2112
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
the "all will be back in good form" by the summer comment i think puts those fears to rest. at least for now.
It's not that I don't think he'll be healthy enough to do it by that point. Just worried with the solo tour dates now being pushed to fall that leaves less time for PJ to tour.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #2113
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I'm fine with them not touring and staying in the studio...it's looking like it's going to be another 3 and a half to four years between records, and their last one was 30 minutes long.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #2114
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I'm fine with them not touring and staying in the studio...it's looking like it's going to be another 3 and a half to four years between records, and their last one was 30 minutes long.
shorter = better.

some of the best records are under 40 minutes.

i will say that i was surprised to be reminded that it's been almost 3 years since Backspacer came out. time flies, and i'm not nearly as annoyed with their time between albums as i get older and 3 years feels like 2 at most.

if it's between touring and finishing the album, finish the album. but they should tour the fuck out of it when it's done. though that of course won't happen because they're a bunch of pussies now and can't handle more than 2 months away from home at a time anymore.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #2115
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I'm not knocking Backspacer for it's length, it's just that that is a long amount of time. We will have had a half-hour of new PJ music in a six-year time span if it doesn't come out this year. It's not like they're Radiohead, anyways, locking themselves in the studio for a year and going crazy.

It doesn't just apply to PJ, but in general I wonder why it takes bands so long between records. They're past the point where they do a one-to-two year push on each album.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #2116
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
It doesn't just apply to PJ, but in general I wonder why it takes bands so long between records. They're past the point where they do a one-to-two year push on each album.
it's obviously just a lack of hunger. it's almost an absolute that bands will pump out albums practically on a yearly basis the first 10 years of their career then when they've had a few years of steady big time success and are comfortable they just fall into a more relaxed pattern. release album-->tour for 1 or 2 years (take the 2nd year off if they don't tour it)-->spend a year thinking about making an album then making it-->all of a sudden it's 4 years later.

it's frustrating, but it's just the way it is. can't really knock them for it, i'm sure if i was 40 years old and a millionaire my life would move at a disgustingly sedate pace
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #2117
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
it's obviously just a lack of hunger. it's almost an absolute that bands will pump out albums practically on a yearly basis the first 10 years of their career then when they've had a few years of steady big time success and are comfortable they just fall into a more relaxed pattern. release album-->tour for 1 or 2 years (take the 2nd year off if they don't tour it)-->spend a year thinking about making an album then making it-->all of a sudden it's 4 years later.

it's frustrating, but it's just the way it is. can't really knock them for it, i'm sure if i was 40 years old and a millionaire my life would move at a disgustingly sedate pace
for the great light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #2118
FiddySpence
TDCya

Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #2119
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I am really enjoying this "Immortality" from the Orpheum show. The alternate lyrics are pretty cool.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #2120
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I am really enjoying this "Immortality" from the Orpheum show. The alternate lyrics are pretty cool.
great version

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc