These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #201
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Had a really good time. Bill and Jack pretty much said everything. Just to add a couple more things though. I've been against the cartoons and videos playing during songs since Fenton first started doing it. I don't mind if they use giant screen(s) as a backdrop on stage for stage shots or even just something like a rain effect during a Seek Up, but Christ...this monstrosity must be worth a ton, takes every stage hand and crew member to rig up, take up almost a whole truck by itself....I'd imagine the cost of it all, power, assembly, transportation, it's gotta be close to the equivalent of paying a guest to tour with the band. It probably costs more for that fucking thing than what they're paying Buddy.

Mansfield crowd was feelin it and in turn Dave fed off that. He stayed on stage basically as long as Carter did after the show, taking selfies with fans, signing autographs, waving and talking to people, of course to all the close people in the pit, but still it's something that he would have never done 10 - 15 years ago. I know he's been doing it all tour and he did it some last year as well, but I don't know if it's some new found appreciation he's got, maybe someone told him to do that, maybe it really is close to the end and he just wants to get those moments in when he can? Who knows.

As others have said when you're their live, you do notice Boyd missing, but to me, especially during a solo he's supposed to be taking, I just look it at like "oh wow, Tim's FINALLY soloing on LIOG which we've been wanting for years now." Instead of being bummed, upset, disappointed or whatever it was quite refreshing.

I will say this as well, I'm still not even close to the realm of being in camp Rashawn, but I was pleasantly pleased to see/hear him structure his solos with a bit more focus instead of trying to reach the highest pitch in the first measure. ALSO, I don't know if the horns have been turned down in the FOH mix during someone elses solo, but I was so nervous to see Rashawn telling Jeff to playing something during one of Tim's solos, then watching them walk up to their mics and I was so focused on them at that moment ready for them to start drowning Tim...but they didn't. I was such a relief. Holy shit, they just played a few lines that didn't draw you away from the focus of the moment rather they actually enhanced which is what a horn sections is supposed to do. I was quite happy with the musical results from Mansfield. Now Hartford on the other hand...Rashawn BARELY started to creep back into his ways with some squeals, though to be fair Warehouse is his squeal space and has been for 10 years, so it was expected.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #202
sean52692
You failed this band

Just watched a video of Virginia. I was worried it wouldn't be as seamless without Dave on the keys but it sounded good. Looked like Dave was playing some chords in the chorus.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #203
Fan#41

Virginia was good but I can definitely see it becoming what everyone hated about Ditch in '00 and '02, it's a great fucking song (especially studio) but it drains the life out of everything in the building. I am glad I didn't get to see it live though.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #204
mattinmass
heady

Tim's solo on LIOG was fantastic
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #205
fortyone
(41)

Did a tape surface? I wasn't sure if I missed it or not.
there stood my dreaming tree
fortyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #206
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Virginia was good but I can definitely see it becoming what everyone hated about Ditch in '00 and '02, it's a great fucking song (especially studio) but it drains the life out of everything in the building. I am glad I didn't get to see it live though.
It was really impressive how immediate and thorough the exodus was. Dave said, “this is kind of a summer song,” buddy hit the first note and 50% of the pavillion disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyone View Post
Did a tape surface? I wasn't sure if I missed it or not.
I only saw one mic stand. So, it got taped, but sometimes mansfield shows take forever to come out. N2 ‘07 took years.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #207
patsfan39

i saw 4 taper stands up by the sound board + one right in front of the right stack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #208
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It was really impressive how immediate and thorough the exodus was. Dave said, “this is kind of a summer song,” buddy hit the first note and 50% of the pavillion disappeared.
Movement of jah people
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #209
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Tim's solo on LIOG was fantastic
It was. I've been waiting for that from him for 10 years now.

Quote:

I only saw one mic stand. So, it got taped, but sometimes mansfield shows take forever to come out. N2 ‘07 took years.
Yeah it was funny watching everyone bail from the first note of VITR. But man it was nice watching them kinda flesh it out live.

There were two tapers in the pit, I saw one next to the FOH. I'm sure the tapes will be out in a few weeks.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #210
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
i saw 4 taper stands up by the sound board + one right in front of the right stack.
Quote:
There were two tapers in the pit, I saw one next to the FOH. I'm sure the tapes will be out in a few weeks.
I was in 600 right behind FOH. I believe those 4 mic stands there were band crowd mics. Also some finance bro was rubbing up against the one in the vip box on 600/500 interior rail all night.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #211
mattinmass
heady

Hearing VITR live made me feel like I did back in the 90s going to see DMB - got the chills. kind of a downer that the crowd sat down/went to bathroom, but whatever. it gave time for the bathrooms to clear by the time I went during Me and Her (song is unforgivable)
Old 06-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #212
Fan#41

Quote:
I was in 600 right behind FOH. I believe those 4 mic stands there were band crowd mics. Also some finance bro was rubbing up against the one in the vip box on 600/500 interior rail all night.
Oh, I was told it was Tom G (Rockinman) who had a set up near the FOH, maybe that was bad info. I do know Drews and Mendleson were taping in the pit.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #213
klillyblad

Quote:
Oh, I was told it was Tom G (Rockinman) who had a set up near the FOH, maybe that was bad info. I do know Drews and Mendleson were taping in the pit.
Tom wasn't there.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #214
mattinmass
heady

pretty sure I saw Joe Shambro eating a sausage down by section 3
Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #215
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by klillyblad View Post
Tom wasn't there.
Bad info it was then. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
pretty sure I saw Joe Shambro eating a sausage down by section 3
Old 06-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #216
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
I do know Drews and Mendleson were taping in the pit.
Pretty impressive Greg and Travitz are still taping. Pretty rare to have guys who have basically been around since the beginning still being active.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #217
Fan#41

On the flipside of that, I was standing next to a girl who saw her first show in July 2008, and in Hartford someone was seeing them for the first time. We're now in an era where people are going to shows (some for almost 10 years now) who have never seen the band live with Roi (and now Boyd). So bizarre.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #218
patsfan39

Its so true, i met a girl at Mansfield who hadnt seen Dave Matthews or the band since seeing D&T in 2003 at the Ryan center. Also, met a guy in Hartford who hadnt seen dmb since 1999. Overall crazy to have those conversations with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #219
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Its so true, i met a girl at Mansfield who hadnt seen Dave Matthews or the band since seeing D&T in 2003 at the Ryan center. Also, met a guy in Hartford who hadnt seen dmb since 1999. Overall crazy to have those conversations with people.
Were they disgusted by your thank you chant?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #220
BigVodka

I met several people in Mansfield going to their first show. Pretty cool to chat with them.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc