These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #23401
bassplayer22

Surprised at the positive reactions the Riley Walker album is getting. Tried it again this afternoon. A real snoozer.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #23402
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Yeah, but either way, you have to admit there's emotion in the 2000 / 2001 versions that hasn't been heard since.
For me, Roi was the emotion and soul of the song. He had solos in 06 and 07 that brought that emotion. The hoedown was always just a bonus to me.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #23403
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Surprised at the positive reactions the Riley Walker album is getting. Tried it again this afternoon. A real snoozer.
It sucks, donít let these jokers tell you otherwise.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #23404
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
For me, Roi was the emotion and soul of the song. He had solos in 06 and 07 that brought that emotion. The hoedown was always just a bonus to me.
I understand, but I really disagree. The most important thing about the song was how Dave sang it, and there was something genuine in his delivery, early on, that I think he lost later. Almost as importantly, I think the 00 / 01 Graces were Boyd at his absolute best - when he nails it, his counterpoint against the vocal line throughout the song is some of his finest playing across any era of DMB. Leaving that out of the studio version was such a bad choice, but then Boyd still played live (though less consistently; 2002 wasn't his best year) and so I felt like the song became hit and miss after Busted Stuff was recorded. The sax solo was always just a bonus to me!

The hoedown was just stupid.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #23405
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
I understand, but I really disagree. The most important thing about the song was how Dave sang it, and there was something genuine in his delivery, early on, that I think he lost later. Almost as importantly, I think the 00 / 01 Graces were Boyd at his absolute best - when he nails it, his counterpoint against the vocal line throughout the song is some of his finest playing across any era of DMB. Leaving that out of the studio version was such a bad choice, but then Boyd still played live (though less consistently; 2002 wasn't his best year) and so I felt like the song became hit and miss after Busted Stuff was recorded. The sax solo was always just a bonus to me!

The hoedown was just stupid.
Heh, yeah, we appreciate different aspects for sure. For me, I always understood why Boyd was highlighted on such a bluegrassy-ish song. But Roi always stole the show for me.
9/7/02 from the Gorge release is one of my favorite versions. Love Roi on it.
Though I also do love the Live Trax Prelude > Grace from 2001 a lot too.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #23406
sean52692
You failed this band

12/21/02 LT 40 is the best GIG.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #23407
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

For me, Trax 3 is definitely the best GIG. Rips your heart out. Prelude > GIG is a close second.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #23408
Tomacco

Roi's last GiG is one of my all-time favorites. And not just for that sentimental reason. I loved it from the moment I saw it on the West Point webcast.

Missing Black Water on this video, but still...
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #23409
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

9.7.02 is *the* version of Grace is Gone, and the climax of that solo is probably one of my favorite 'Roi moments period.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #23410
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Dave lost all emotion singing when he switched to the prompter. Those are just the hard facts, itís not going away either.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #23411
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
9.7.02 is *the* version of Grace is Gone, and the climax of that solo is probably one of my favorite 'Roi moments period.
I always felt this way until I heard this yearís version at The Gorge. But yes, two of the top performances of Grace, period.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #23412
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Dave lost all emotion singing when he switched to the prompter. Those are just the hard facts, itís not going away either.
I think that kind of happens naturally when you introduce one. Some people are great at reading from a teleprompter like they're having a conversation, and others you can really tell they are reading and having Ron Burgundy moments

It never really bothered me that much when Dave would forget lyrics, and we certainly have lost some things like Two Step intros, and songs like Crazy Easy and Good Good Time and Sugar Will would never really be possible again because I imagine they'd set lyrics after one attempt.

It lead to some real trainwrecks on a few occasions, but also can end up creating something unique that still sounds cool. The studio Shotgun demo comes to mind. That whole bit at the end where he talks about how he "used to know how to play OK" and the way he was "conducting" the band with the "falling down the stairs" before they'd play the chorus were kind of fitting for that song.
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #23413
celluloid hero

I think he lost his connection to the crowd. He relies on it less now, but he was always looking down while trying not to look like he was looking down. He lost a lot of his charisma and stage presence because he was no longer natural Dave, he was focused elsewhere.

It obviously has its positives as they can break out more songs, but that was a big negative and songs like Say Goodbye are now way worse. Itís not JUST the alt lyrics, but itís also that he doesnít sing it like he knows and owns it, because he longer has to and heís trying to read sing the lyrics unnaturally in a natural cadence.

Still probably worth it for the songs that can get played a handful of times a year because he has the lyrics in front of him.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #23414
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I think he lost his connection to the crowd. He relies on it less now, but he was always looking down while trying not to look like he was looking down. He lost a lot of his charisma and stage presence because he was no longer natural Dave, he was focused elsewhere.

It obviously has its positives as they can break out more songs, but that was a big negative and songs like Say Goodbye are now way worse. Itís not JUST the alt lyrics, but itís also that he doesnít sing it like he knows and owns it, because he longer has to and heís trying to read sing the lyrics unnaturally in a natural cadence.

Still probably worth it for the songs that can get played a handful of times a year because he has the lyrics in front of him.
well said!
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #23415
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post

This is just way too accurate.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #23416
gweeps

Let's not forget to take into consideration how he's sang some of these songs hundreds of times over the years.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #23417
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

For me it’s whatever though. There are a lot more irksome things about DMB ... like Rashawn. I think Dave is performing pretty damn good all things considered. Performing does not include setlist decisions
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #23418
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Let's not forget to take into consideration how he's sang some of these songs hundreds of times over the years.

Seriously. Should I cut back on the smoke NOW?
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc