These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #221
batleon

Biggest drop off of consecutive shows at a venue ever?
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #222
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Biggest drop off of consecutive shows at a venue ever?
It absolutely has to be.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #223
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

It's up there with 12/20/02 to the '05 MSG shows.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #224
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
It's up there with 12/20/02 to the '05 MSG shows.
Nah. MSG n2 2005 is still a well-regarded show.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #225
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
That’s just Jeff’s style really. But he can play more tastefully just chooses not to.
But "tastefully" doesn't always mean fewer notes. On a high-energy song with a fast tempo, more notes are often better.

Roi struggled on those types of songs because he simply didn't have the skill to play like Jeff does. But he was amazing on the slower ones.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #226
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
But "tastefully" doesn't always mean fewer notes. On a high-energy song with a fast tempo, more notes are often better.

Roi struggled on those types of songs because he simply didn't have the skill to play like Jeff does. But he was amazing on the slower ones.
Not so sure about this. When Roi dug in (likely a mood thing), he could smoke the uptempo songs. His issue as they went on was that he became stagnant. I would put all I have on that not being related to skill. Jeff blowing his off on that Grey Street above does nothing for me. It’s just an awesome technical showing. Roi may not have gone balls to wall as the band got older but I’ll still take that over 95% of Jeff post ‘08. Jeff’s spots with the band prior to Roi’s passing were better than anything I’ve heard from him post joining full time. Sure Jeff is more skillful. He’s likely as skilled as they come. I don’t find him to be very tasteful with DMB and their music. I may be coming across ignorant but it’s just what think. He’s a machine. He doesn’t hit my soul.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #227
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Not so sure about this. When Roi dug in (likely a mood thing), he could smoke the uptempo songs. His issue as they went on was that he became stagnant. I would put all I have on that not being related to skill. Jeff blowing his off on that Grey Street above does nothing for me. Itís just an awesome technical showing. Roi may not have gone balls to wall as the band got older but Iíll still take that over 95% of Jeff post Ď08. Jeffís spots with the band prior to Roiís passing were better than anything Iíve heard from him post joining full time. Sure Jeff is more skillful. Heís likely as skilled as they come. I donít find him to be very tasteful with DMB and their music. I may be coming across ignorant but itís just what think. Heís a machine. He doesnít hit my soul.
I guess "tasteful" is more of an opinion. But a lot of people around here seem to think that it's distasteful anytime Jeff plays quick runs with lot of notes, or anytime Rashawn plays notes is a high register. Those styles don't work all of the time, but there are instances when they are the right choices.

And I guess Roi was just too inconsistent for my liking. Sometimes he was pretty good on the uptempo, extended solos, and other times not at all.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #228
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
And I guess Roi was just too inconsistent for my liking. Sometimes he was pretty good on the uptempo, extended solos, and other times not at all.
This is completely accurate. Funny thing is, I recall standing in an elevator with my buddy back in the semi-early-to-mid 2000's, and we both thought how amazing it would be if someone like "Jeff Coffin" played sax for DMB instead, because Roi was just too slow most of the time. I think we all forget this. Myself included. That said, there's a reason I only listen to DMB pre-2004. Roi aside, honestly, Carter.. Butch, and Dave's acoustic are major reasons. But Roi.. when he was on. Nothing better. And this is coming from someone who still goes to 2-3 shows a year.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #229
dmb448

What an amazing show to have in a collection! I wish we got a Blu-Ray dvd with it though. This was truly a band at its peak.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #230
Ras Trent

Can this be downloaded directly to an iPhone if I purchase it with my phone? I don’t use a computer anymore...
Ras Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #231
blumathu

I don't believe so
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #232
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Trent View Post
Can this be downloaded directly to an iPhone if I purchase it with my phone? I don’t use a computer anymore...
This so much.
Like get with the times mgmt.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #233
Ras Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
This so much.
Yeah. And I guess I sort of understand why they donít have the last 30 Live Trax releases on streaming services, but damn itís annoying.
Ras Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #234
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
This so much.
I never do it so, how does one download any music purchase to their phone other than in iTunes?
Do other sites have an app or allow songs to load in ďmusicĒ/iTunes?
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #235
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Damn, Sugar Will could have been a monster by now.....could have been a Bartender, LIOG, Two Step, Seek Up.....it took the fate of a Dancing Nancie I guess....

Oh man, start at 8:05 for Roi bringing some groovy funk sass.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #236
sean52692
You failed this band

Dave's parts in this Sugar Will are some of the best among released versions. So damn creative and free flowing.

Although the jam is good, I still prefer the released Gorge 04 version which has the best released jam.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:56 AM   #237
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Not so sure about this. When Roi dug in (likely a mood thing), he could smoke the uptempo songs. His issue as they went on was that he became stagnant. I would put all I have on that not being related to skill. Jeff blowing his off on that Grey Street above does nothing for me. Itís just an awesome technical showing. Roi may not have gone balls to wall as the band got older but Iíll still take that over 95% of Jeff post Ď08. Jeffís spots with the band prior to Roiís passing were better than anything Iíve heard from him post joining full time. Sure Jeff is more skillful. Heís likely as skilled as they come. I donít find him to be very tasteful with DMB and their music. I may be coming across ignorant but itís just what think. Heís a machine. He doesnít hit my soul.
Agree with you on Roi... When he dug in he would rip some BOWAs or rapunzels or most impressively seek up.

I disagree on the Jeff assessment. The main issue since 2005 has been the absolute lack of inspiration in the bands song catalogue. He had many many soulful moments within the flecktones. He and Tim now are just kind of restrained and by numbers. By all accounts 2 extremely creative and technically brilliant guys. . . Both maligned for overplaying / underutilization in DMB.

Anyway, I respect each person's opinion, but I still maintain that there's a DM problem in dmb.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #238
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
Agree with you on Roi... When he dug in he would rip some BOWAs or rapunzels or most impressively seek up.

I disagree on the Jeff assessment. The main issue since 2005 has been the absolute lack of inspiration in the bands song catalogue. He had many many soulful moments within the flecktones. He and Tim now are just kind of restrained and by numbers. By all accounts 2 extremely creative and technically brilliant guys. . . Both maligned for overplaying / underutilization in DMB.

Anyway, I respect each person's opinion, but I still maintain that there's a DM problem in dmb.
What I meant to say is that it's not that Jeff CAN'T play tastefully. Obviously he can and we've heard it from time to time. He just chooses not to most of the time these days. In my opinion, I think it's a result of him not being used as much. When he finally DOES get a chance to solo, he feels then need to kind of "get it all out of his system" and "show off" in a way, because hey, this is the only chance you're gonna get tonight. No one knows what he's thinking but himself obviously, but to me it could totally be the case.

The DM problem is def there for sure, in terms of the songwriting quality. It's not there like it was, that's not really debatable. But in terms of mixing things up, I don't blame Dave, I look at D+T shows and they're much more creative than the band is. I don't think Dave is telling the guys before a show, "Make sure you sit back and know your role" .
Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #239
Hopper

My CDs haven’t arrived yet.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #240
NiCK (Crush)

Have you reached out to customer service?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc