These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #81
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
could be, but I'm not betting in it. Hope it is though since I'm buying it and don't want to be disappointed.
It's going to be better than the AUD guaranteed. Better than Luther? That's a tall order. Setlist wise I like this show more, but the sound quality and mix on Luther is almost too perfect that it's unfair to expect anything to compete. The mastering job Imo really does have a lot to do with it. A lot of the LT out there are compressed WAY too much and really degrades the sound quality. Usually the case with the bands in store releases. Radio City D+T and releases like Live in AC and Wrigley are good examples of how to mess up the mastering process.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #82
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

It is easily possible alex's remastered tape could be better. Auds can certainly be better than sbds.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #83
Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It is easily possible alex's remastered tape could be better. Auds can certainly be better than sbds.
show me one.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #84
cjlawler

Quote:
Basically. This, 2/6/99, 3/13/99, 3/28/29/03 and a few others. Butt his is certainly hard to argue.
Is this the 2/6/99 recording you're talking about?

Taper: Mike Heally

Source: Audio-Technica AT3528->Tascam DA-P1

cjlawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #85
NiCK Crush

Is Stay in 6/8 the most difficult thing Dave has ever done? I can't comprehend how he does that. Guitar sped up, verses slowed down, mind twisted.

I love it.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #86
greykitkat36

Quote:
Well it all depends on what your definition of better is I guess. Like Fan#41 doesn't like SBDs that contain little to no crowd noise, so to him some AUDs may be better in that regard.

But, this will be a professionally mixed multitrack show. Alex's remastered AUD is still an AUD--meaning just 1+ microphones pointed at the speakers out in the crowd. From a mixing standpoint there's only so much that can be done to it. A multitrack you can isolate the imdivual guitar, vocals and mix them all separately/add effects etc and what not, which I'm sure you already know. In a technical sense I don't agree that an AUD will ever be better.

That being said, there are SBd recordings where they really messed up the mixing and mastering or there's no audible crowd noise, or it sounds too studio like, and I can see where that can ruin the listening experience where as the AUDs capture that "being there" feeling better sometimes.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #87
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlawler View Post

I'm almost certain 2/6 is a SBD unless I'm thinking of 2/5..I have one of those shows and it's most certainly a SBD.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 AM   #88
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Is Stay in 6/8 the most difficult thing Dave has ever done? I can't comprehend how he does that. Guitar sped up, verses slowed down, mind twisted.

I love it.
Definitley could be. Wonder what made him try it that way, seems very random.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #89
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I'm still shocked that this show is getting released. Can't wait to re experience this show again.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #90
dmbphan41
As heavy as stone...

Quote:
Basically. This, 2/6/99, 3/13/99, 3/28/29/03 and a few others. Butt his is certainly hard to argue.
are you referring to Scott Brown's 3/28/29/03?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #91
sean52692
You have failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
To get a solid release of Wild Horses, If I Had A Boat and Wynona is awesome because we don't have any of of those officially released D+T I don't believe.
This will be the first D&T release of Wynona. We got Wild Horses and If I Had A Boat on the 3/3/99 DMBLive release.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #92
cjlawler

Quote:
I'm almost certain 2/6 is a SBD unless I'm thinking of 2/5..I have one of those shows and it's most certainly a SBD.
You're thinking of 2/5.
cjlawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #93
fortyone
Maybe THIS Year

Vaguely remember listening to this show back in college, but as someone who needs a refresher, what's the main differences between this and the 3/3/99 DMBLive release? Aside from song selection, of course.
there stood my dreaming tree
fortyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #94
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
This will be the first D&T release of Wynona. We got Wild Horses and If I Had A Boat on the 3/3/99 DMBLive release.
thanks for confirming. I had a feeling they were released already, but on DMBLive--which is straight SBD..so these at least sound quality wise should be better versions on this LT. Love Wynona D+T, Tim really gets eerie, creepy vibe so perfect which is exactly the right vibe for it.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 AM   #95
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyone View Post
Vaguely remember listening to this show back in college, but as someone who needs a refresher, what's the main differences between this and the 3/3/99 DMBLive release? Aside from song selection, of course.
The major difference is going to be that the 3/3/99 show was released directly from the SBD without really much done to it. This show will be totally mixed and mastered for mass consumption--so it should sound "better". I do agree, there are a lot of repeat songs from that release, but on this one we do get some firsts with releases-- '99 Help Myself, Beauty Of Wynona (first time released D+T) as well as some different songs from the DMBLive.

Neither of these shows are the best of the tour, but most seem to agree that this show is overall much better than 3/3 in terms of performances, flow, energy and overall song choice.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #96
fortyone
Maybe THIS Year

Quote:
The major difference is going to be that the 3/3/99 show was released directly from the SBD without really much done to it. This show will be totally mixed and mastered for mass consumption--so it should sound "better". I do agree, there are a lot of repeat songs from that release, but on this one we do get some firsts with releases-- '99 Help Myself, Beauty Of Wynona (first time released D+T) as well as some different songs from the DMBLive.

Neither of these shows are the best of the tour, but most seem to agree that this show is overall much better than 3/3 in terms of performances, flow, energy and overall song choice.
Thanks!
there stood my dreaming tree
fortyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #97
buddha05
Gene Parmesan

Just curious which shows you think are better from the tour - as this has always been the high water mark for me from 99. 3-7 would be the runner up and I seem to remember one of the first shows being great, 1-19 or 1-20 maybe?
buddha05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #98
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlawler View Post

Yup

This is the one people label as a sbd. Again, as always, if you can hear crowd during tim's solos, it's not a leaked sbd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbphan41 View Post
are you referring to Scott Brown's 3/28/29/03?
Yes, but not just Scotts'. There were a few tapers kissing the stage monitors.

Quote:
A lot of people consider 3/13 the greatest d&t show ever, and most certainly it would win any poll of the best show of the '99 tour.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #99
.Gary.

Spooner is finally getting its due.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #100
raven

Quote:
Well, we don't. We have a killer aud of this one.
Quote:
2/5 is SBD, 2/6 is AUD
raven is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc