These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #61
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I can't even watch the Radio City DVD without being embarrassed as a fan. Just disrespectful, jackassses left and right acting like they're at a rock concert.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #62
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I can't even watch the Radio City DVD without being embarrassed as a fan. Just disrespectful, jackassses left and right acting like they're at a rock concert.
Sleeves for your phones and a strict no talking policy.....it'd be nice, but with DMB management, it's a pipe dream. The band was founded on drunken fratboys. That's still the key demographic, not to mention aging drunken fratboys, who are worse.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #63
wiebrod

Quote:
I know this will never happen, but play indoor theatres and proactively promote an environment that leads to listening to the music. Require ushers to enforce sitting down, no phones, etc. Other musicians do it.

There's absolutely no justification for someone jumping around or yelling during a dave and tim performance. I wish they had the balls to do something about it.
Exactly, it should happen, but won't ever happen.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #64
greykitkat36

They could, but they'd have to play small theaters or that's something that can't be enforced. Honestly I truly feel it's as simple as not serving alchohol in the venue and don't allow tailgaiting. You'll still have some people who will spend money at the bars all day and take an uber or walk to the venue, but if you don't allow tailgaiting and you don't serve drinks inside, you'll see that stuff slow down quick.

I'm not sure how to convince venues to do that, because they are making a good amount of money on the alchohol. I would assume the band, or in this case Dave and Tim might have to shell over a small percentage of profit to keep them servIng alchohol, but I have no idea. Wonder how that's done.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #65
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Fuck that, I can drink a few beers and not be an asshole.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #66
greykitkat36

Also it comes down to Dave and Tim themselves. If they really cared about the crowd being rude or loud, they could easily get management involved and do something about it. Dave is the kind of guy that wants people to have a good time--he knows people like to drink and hang out and he's not the kind of dude to step up and say "don't do this, you can't do that" and actually take action to enforce it.

They're past that point I beleive. They play to entertain people and don't care if everyone is paying attention--they know there's a good chunk of people who do and people who don't and theyre ok with that clearly. It's not good for being in the audience that's for sure though. What would be cool is if they allowed people to pay extra to have a small earpiece or headphones they could wear at the show that fed a soundboard feed so that people being loud wouldn't obscure your listening experience. But I'm sure enforcing quiet is much cheaper that putting in a system like that
Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #67
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Fuck that, I can drink a few beers and not be an asshole.
Plenty of shows still sell alcohol and people aren't crazy and respectful. The Isbell show I was at plenty of people were drinking throughout the whole show, but they weren't idiots. You could tell from the minute you walked in the venue what the expectation was. Even Isbell himself immediately called out people on their phones. I get it, it was a smaller venue, so it's much much easier to do.

However, the expectation of DMB shows is that their crowds are they way they are now, it would take a lot of work to change that expectation for even a D&T show, but you can do it.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #68
dmb4uandme

Smaller venues and no alcohol sales so it can be "about the music"? You guys are hilarious.

This is the Dave Matthew$ and Coran Cap$haw machine we're talking about here.
dmb4uandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #69
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

We're all pretty much aware of the fact it wont happen. We're also clowns posting on a DMB message board in 2016 so let us have our dreams

I think with time things will come full circle. We'll get D/T in small theatres with a receptive audience in 10-15 years. Just wish it would happen sooner.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #70
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
They could, but they'd have to play small theaters or that's something that can't be enforced. Honestly I truly feel it's as simple as not serving alchohol in the venue and don't allow tailgaiting. You'll still have some people who will spend money at the bars all day and take an uber or walk to the venue, but if you don't allow tailgaiting and you don't serve drinks inside, you'll see that stuff slow down quick.

I'm not sure how to convince venues to do that, because they are making a good amount of money on the alchohol. I would assume the band, or in this case Dave and Tim might have to shell over a small percentage of profit to keep them servIng alchohol, but I have no idea. Wonder how that's done.
That would suck. Tailgating is a huge part of the dmb atmosphere.
DIDO36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #71
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

I understand tailgating for DMB.

Tailgating for Dave and Tim?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #72
DIDO36

Quote:
I understand tailgating for DMB.

Tailgating for Dave and Tim?
i thought he said something about full band.

For a normal Dave and Tim show in a small theater it would be a bit ridiculous to tailgate. But if they do play outdoors venues in the summer I could see how people would want to tailgate for that.
DIDO36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #73
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
Plenty of shows still sell alcohol and people aren't crazy and respectful. The Isbell show I was at plenty of people were drinking throughout the whole show, but they weren't idiots. You could tell from the minute you walked in the venue what the expectation was. Even Isbell himself immediately called out people on their phones. I get it, it was a smaller venue, so it's much much easier to do.

However, the expectation of DMB shows is that their crowds are they way they are now, it would take a lot of work to change that expectation for even a D&T show, but you can do it.
Yeah stopping alchohol wouldn't nessecarily fix the problem, but it will definitely help. Isbell doesn't have that "party" stigma that Dave Matthews has. Also, I understand why isbell would yell at the crowd, but that's kind of dickish imo. People are paying money to see you and they want to have a good time. No issue with throwing people out who are being over the top obnoxious and what not, but In 2016, telling the crowd not to be on their phones is just a being a whiny baby. If that's how they want to enjoy the show, let them be.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #74
jeffym
KOAT

At the 3/28/03 Wake Forest show the venue stopped selling beer once the show started.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #75
dmb4uandme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffym View Post
At the 3/28/03 Wake Forest show the venue stopped selling beer once the show started.
3/19/03 beer was not allowed inside the theatre. Only in the lobby area.
dmb4uandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #76
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffym View Post
I remember that, unfortunately the bar across the street had a massive happy hour before the show, Ziggy's I believe.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #77
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

I know I'm not saying anything new here but it really is amazing to me how shitty people are at concerts. It's one thing if you're in a giant shed or a stadium, but I go to a lot of shows in small venues and people are just dicks.

One song you don't recognize or like and you have to loudly talk to the person next to you. It doesn't matter if people around you want to hear it, it's your world they're just existing in it. People whipping out their phones, reading Facebook, etc. Just overall obnoxious, selfish behavior.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but I've let people around me know they're being douches. Some are receptive, some are combatative. I just hate people basically
Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #78
dmb1981

Anyone know who's ticketing the London shows? Is Livenation the only option?
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #79
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah stopping alchohol wouldn't nessecarily fix the problem, but it will definitely help. Isbell doesn't have that "party" stigma that Dave Matthews has. Also, I understand why isbell would yell at the crowd, but that's kind of dickish imo. People are paying money to see you and they want to have a good time. No issue with throwing people out who are being over the top obnoxious and what not, but In 2016, telling the crowd not to be on their phones is just a being a whiny baby. If that's how they want to enjoy the show, let them be.
I disagree, I don't think it was being dickish at all. He was basically setting up the expectation for the crowd like we all talk about. Telling people to stop filming with their phone, being on their phone the entire time, and to enjoy the show in which they paid the money to see, I have no problem with it. It's not like he immediately kicked them out.

I know what you are saying, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I really liked him saying it.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #80
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
Yep, absolutely 1 of my favorite moments at a live show. Just unreal, great song, and then great to hear it live with the crowd like that.

I get that DM and DMB will never be that way, but the closest we "could" get is D&T in a smaller venue.
All around a damn great show! That and Decoration Day are cool moments! I love Never Gonna Change (but I may be partial since my band covers it too)!
priceofacoke910 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc