These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #18401
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
and you know that's not true.
All I'll say is that I live in Colorado and have been to Red Rocks several times yet don't really recall any of them.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #18402
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]
Diggy lessard show
Not sure if these have been posted but there are several up with Stefan playing bass in his son's band...his son is singing...

Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #18403
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycreep View Post
Not sure if these have been posted but there are several up with Stefan playing bass in his son's band...his son is singing...

Includes the lovely ladies too
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #18404
gweeps

I'm probably not saying anything mindblowing here, but boy does the new Sugar Will lyric stink. The chorus makes even less sense now than it did back in 2004. The verses are so terribly plain. Where's the dangerous mystery from the drafts of 2004? Man, Dave has lost his improvisational edge. That's such a damn sad shame.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #18405
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I'm probably not saying anything mindblowing here, but boy does the new Sugar Will lyric stink. The chorus makes even less sense now than it did back in 2004. The verses are so terribly plain. Where's the dangerous mystery from the drafts of 2004? Man, Dave has lost his improvisational edge. That's such a damn sad shame.
Sugar Will is such a shell of what it is was, agreed. I wasn't excited to hear it at CVille even though that was the first time hearing it live. So pumped when it started, so dissapointed how little I liked it after. But, I've always never been a big fan of the song in general. Even in '04, it wasn't one of favorities. I thought Crazy Easy was the best and GGT had a lot of potential. Sugar Will never sounded close to finished ever to me. The new versions sound like a band that forced themselves to finish an incomplete song. It's so incredibly contrived. I agree with Dave that it's better to move on and write new stuff because you can't capture the magic of those songs again like they were when they first happened.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #18406
dmb2much40

The 2008 performances were good. The song lost a lot with roi. He had that jam damn near perfect by the end of 2004.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #18407
willndmb

I just watched the Big Voice Jack doc again, man these are sweet sounds.
I would love to get a lt release with him mixed right.
Along with rso show.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #18408
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Turned Big Whiskey on while cleaning the house, still fucking love WIA. It's got that, fuck you - you do you - thing.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #18409
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
I just watched the Big Voice Jack doc again, man these are sweet sounds.
I would love to get a lt release with him mixed right.
Along with rso show.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #18410
ggies
Sugar Will '04

man I fucking miss the early DMB sound - specifically '95.

We need to Ross to go, Jeff step up, and Boyd and Jeff need to start playing off each other more during the main song.

Just my Sunday afternoon dreaming going on here.......
Old 04-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #18411
sean52692
You have failed this band

I want Carter, Tim, and RR to scale back their playing. Less speed from Carter, more precision and groove. Tim needs to shift his playing back to the way he sounded in 2008 - adding different riffs and parts to songs rather than primarily playing the same parts as Dave.

Add Butch. Really open the music back up again. Longer jams, different solos, and more focused playing. Adding Butch would also get Dave off the piano.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #18412
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
I want Carter, Tim, and RR to scale back their playing. Less speed from Carter, more precision and groove. Tim needs to shift his playing back to the way he sounded in 2008 - adding different riffs and parts to songs rather than primarily playing the same parts as Dave.

Add Butch. Really open the music back up again. Longer jams, different solos, and more focused playing. Adding Butch would also get Dave off the piano.
I think a competent violin player goes along with that. Remember that Break Free from last year when Boyd was probably unknowingly playing over the outro, completely changed the vibe of the song for the better
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #18413
timh.
tasty.

random observation of something that, to me, somewhat explains a lack of "tightness" in dave matthews guitar playing at modern dave & tim shows.

there has basically always been a direct line coming out of dave's guitars at D/T shows, but there used to be a microphone positioned in front of it too. that stopped after 2003 from what i can tell.

the fact that they aren't putting a microphone on his guitar anymore i think has changed his posture while sitting and playing dave and tim shows, and changed it in a way that lends itself to sloppier playing. and, perhaps changed a mental approach as well. when you mic a guitar, i think it creates an expectation of "studio quality" playing and creates a more mindful player... beyond the psychology of knowing that mic is right there to capture your every note, you also have to think about what you're playing in a way that relates to the microphone. there's just more thought that goes into it... the playing, the positioning, the posture necessary for directing/projecting your sound to the microphone etc. removing the mic i think has removed some sense of accountability to precision and sound.

and, in fairness, i can see where the way it's being done now would be far more comfortable for dave... he doesn't have to be considerate of the condenser mic right there keeping him honest. but anyway... whatever.

notice the difference in postures and angle he keeps the guitar neck. mic'd up seems more squared and precise, unmic'd looks more removed and lounging, almost reclined at times. he has a tendency to play it off his hip instead of his knee (knee usually allows more stability and control i think)... and holds the neck far more upright than parallel with the ground or his shoulders. i really do think it's changed the way he plays at dave/tim shows these days, for the worse.
Mic'd:

no mic

i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #18414
willndmb

Good observation, not sure it effects playing or sound as I have no experience in great depth or anything but it's clear the position has changed.
I do wonder if it has anything to do with the martins being a larger body guitar, not to mention a much better sounding guitar as least in an acoustic setting I feel
Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #18415
mario

It may also be compensation for his carpel tunnel. (I know you know this) the higher angle provides more leverage in the the elbow instead of the wrist.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #18416
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
It may also be compensation for his carpel tunnel. (I know you know this) the higher angle provides more leverage in the the elbow instead of the wrist.
Yup. I would agree with Mario on this, and that's rare. I also play guitar, and I can vouch that timh made some valid points. Clearly he's holding and playing the guitar differently now than he used to. But he's angling the neck up to make it easier on his wrist, especially for harder songs. If you notice, the angle changes especially on songs like Crash, because it actually hurts to play. I've tried playing that song normally and then angled up like Dave does now, and the way he play now its WAY easier on the wrist and doesn't hurt as much. He also has the strap on and has it up pretty high, so that the guitar is closer to his neck, which also makes it much easier to play and move around on it.

So basically, I don't think the microphone has anything to do with it at all. I think it's totally an age thing/carpal tunnel thing. Not having the mics though is affecting the sound, especially for live releases. Direct guitar is nowhere near as good sounding as mic'ing. Seems like FOH if they did use both signals, they mixed up together for a nice blend. Now, it's just straight DI and it sounds VERY plugged in. No so much Tim, but Dave's guitars really don't sound as good and that's probably one of the main reasons (aside from it not being a Martin)

P.S.--Sloppiness can also just be from lack of practice. It's very possible Dave barely plays anymore when he's not on tour. Obviously none of us know that, but, he certainly doesn't seem to practice as often as he might have been back in the day.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #18417
TwoStepN34

Couple of Carter-centric clips that I have not seen posted yet:

Music of Weather Report concert clip (w/Jeff) - 4.1.17

Bismarck, 6.10.16 - (Vic Firth Carter-cam clip)
Old 04-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #18418
sean52692
You have failed this band

Bismarck sounded really sweet from that clip.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #18419
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStepN34 View Post
Couple of Carter-centric clips that I have not seen posted yet:

Bismarck, 6.10.16 - (Vic Firth Carter-cam clip)
nice, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Bismarck sounded really sweet from that clip.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #18420
Tomacco

Weird video. Mix didn't even include the horns.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc