These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #17441
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I have nothing to complain about Stefan's playing. I don't think I ever have. He may just be the perfect musician of the band.

Then again, can you noticeably fuck up bass playing like you can drums, violin, guitar or a horn?
Of course..
Old 08-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #17442
dmbguy987

[Only registered users can see links.]
dmbguy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #17443
TheNoise
Hello, my name is Mr... Snrub.

cool, thanks!

TNT Sunday, Sept. 11, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT)

Filmed earlier this year in the band's hometown of Charlottesville, Va., portions of the performance will be presented as part of Neighborhood Sessions, an ongoing series of music specials created by State Farm

Throughout the special, band members take viewers to various places in Charlottesville that influenced their lives. They also introduce some of the neighbors who do their part to help others and bring positive change to the community, proving that Good Neighbors Help Life Go Right™.
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #17444
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I have nothing to complain about Stefan's playing. I don't think I ever have. He may just be the perfect musician of the band.

Then again, can you noticeably fuck up bass playing like you can drums, violin, guitar or a horn?
Well, yes, you can land on wrong notes or offbeat just like you can in any other instrument.

More relevant, though, is that you can be boring or alternately intrusive very easily. Stefan has a long string of bass parts that are incredibly inventive, melodic, and dynamic without interfering with vocals or drums or guitar parts. He knows when to lock in and just hit the root note (Don't Drink The Water) and when to go crazy and fly all over the place (Grey Street chorus). When Dave is heavy on a bassline-like guitar pattern, Stefan will dance above it (So Much To Say verse). Etc, etc.

One of my favorites is The Stone. The verse starts off with a little run of notes that pretty clearly forms a D minor chord; bass starts on a D note. Then Dave hits a G minor cord, bass hits a G note. Then there's a little run of notes that doesn't obviously resolve into any particular chord at all - a little transition - before a walk-up from Bb to C and back to D minor to restart the riff. On the Bb and C, Stefan walks with him. But then there's that little transition, and that's where Stefan puts his fills, the occasional high-pitched pair of emphasized notes, and that fast slidey-thing that just adds weight without landing on any particular note. Where the riff is ambiguous, Stefan finds interesting things to do that add to that ambiguity; where the riff lands on movement of chords, Stefan anchors them so they sound even more massive. Not to mention that he has a really unique, lightweight fingering pattern for the chorus, and he introduces it in a walkdown inside the last repetition of each verse before the chorus, providing a smooth transition between two incredibly different feels. It's one of my favorite bass parts ever.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #17445
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

He really does read Stone perfectly. What a great piece of music.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #17446
Steveo Style
"American Baby"

That Chickapig game image from the DMB email is a ripoff of my avatar
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #17447
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
That Chickapig game image from the DMB email is a ripoff of my avatar
That you ripped off...
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #17448
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Well, yes, you can land on wrong notes or offbeat just like you can in any other instrument.

More relevant, though, is that you can be boring or alternately intrusive very easily. Stefan has a long string of bass parts that are incredibly inventive, melodic, and dynamic without interfering with vocals or drums or guitar parts. He knows when to lock in and just hit the root note (Don't Drink The Water) and when to go crazy and fly all over the place (Grey Street chorus). When Dave is heavy on a bassline-like guitar pattern, Stefan will dance above it (So Much To Say verse). Etc, etc.

One of my favorites is The Stone. The verse starts off with a little run of notes that pretty clearly forms a D minor chord; bass starts on a D note. Then Dave hits a G minor cord, bass hits a G note. Then there's a little run of notes that doesn't obviously resolve into any particular chord at all - a little transition - before a walk-up from Bb to C and back to D minor to restart the riff. On the Bb and C, Stefan walks with him. But then there's that little transition, and that's where Stefan puts his fills, the occasional high-pitched pair of emphasized notes, and that fast slidey-thing that just adds weight without landing on any particular note. Where the riff is ambiguous, Stefan finds interesting things to do that add to that ambiguity; where the riff lands on movement of chords, Stefan anchors them so they sound even more massive. Not to mention that he has a really unique, lightweight fingering pattern for the chorus, and he introduces it in a walkdown inside the last repetition of each verse before the chorus, providing a smooth transition between two incredibly different feels. It's one of my favorite bass parts ever.
Very well said. I have always enjoyed his playing and admired him for his sense of composition.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #17449
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
Very well said. I have always enjoyed his playing and admired him for his sense of composition.
It's very cool to think about how Dave and Stefan sat together in a cabin in the woods and wrote a lot of Streets together.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #17450
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
It's very cool to think about how Dave and Stefan sat together in a cabin in the woods and wrote a lot of Streets together.
Then in 2005 him and Dave sat in Virginia together and wrote hunger for the great light
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #17451
Steveo Style
"American Baby"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
That you ripped off...
Pshhh
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #17452
Jayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Is this a thing? Could I have been ignorant of this for the last 16 years?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #17453
BeaufordBuddy

BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #17454
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Is this a thing? Could I have been ignorant of this for the last 16 years?
Very much true
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 AM   #17455
kylebond13
soul singer in a session band

Which cabin and which woods
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #17456
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Just saw this posted on facebook. What a cool song that has totally disappeared. Do we have a best version of this?

roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #17457
JimBeam41

That was a great listen, thanks for sharing
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #17458
Jayes

The video is whatever, but this is my favorite ADSR. I lost the audio copy I have and can't for the life of me remember the date. Anybody know? I really enjoyed it Dave on guitar, simple as it is. i'll say it again, he should try Bob Law on guitar. Prolly give it a lot more character.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #17459
SomeDevil17

Weird they tacked on Dave saying that about Roi since it's never been played without Roi, but maybe the Hollywood bowl show at the end of 07?
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #17460
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Guessing it's 9/2/07; judging from the title of that youtube video: [Only registered users can see links.]
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc