These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #1141
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Album spread from this tour in Europe, notice AFTW at the bottom (only Rooftop x4, Snow Outside x1, If Only x2, and Mercy x1):

Under the Table and Dreaming
Unreleased
Crash
Dave Matthews - Some Devil
Before These Crowded Streets
Busted Stuff
Tim Reynolds Solos
Everyday
Stand Up
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
Cover Songs
Remember Two Things
Misc Release
Away from the World
Live Collaboration
Misc Covers
Interesting. Nice to see the big 3 up at the top (and the next two best albums up there too).

What from Stand Up got a ton of plays? YMDT? I know Dreamgirl popped up - was it only once?
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #1142
sean52692
You have failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Interesting. Nice to see the big 3 up at the top (and the next two best albums up there too).

What from Stand Up got a ton of plays? YMDT? I know Dreamgirl popped up - was it only once?
Old Dirt Hill x5 and Out of My Hands x4. Dreamgirl was played twice.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #1143
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Totally forgot about ODH. I like that D/T.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #1144
d.m.bfan222
Nothing beats BTCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Any idea if they video recorded every show this tour?
They didn't video the Italy shows...
d.m.bfan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #1145
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Album spread from this tour in Europe, notice AFTW at the bottom (only Rooftop x4, Snow Outside x1, If Only x2, and Mercy x1):

Under the Table and Dreaming
Unreleased
Crash
Dave Matthews - Some Devil
Before These Crowded Streets
Busted Stuff
Tim Reynolds Solos
Everyday
Stand Up
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
Cover Songs
Remember Two Things
Misc Release
Away from the World
Live Collaboration
Misc Covers
Does ants for example count for uttad and r2t or just uttad?
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #1146
Garntd

I wonder if anyone will sit in with D&T at Jazz Fest - Krasno, Warren Haynes, Rashawn Ross, Trombone Shorty, Ivan Neville, and plenty more are in town
Garntd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #1147
sean52692
You have failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
Does ants for example count for uttad and r2t or just uttad?
Ants only counts for UTTAD. The R2T songs that get counted are Christmas Song, I'll Back You Up, Minarets, One Sweet World, Recently, Seek Up, & Song That Jane Likes.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #1148
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post
I wonder if anyone will sit in with D&T at Jazz Fest - Krasno, Warren Haynes, Rashawn Ross, Trombone Shorty, Ivan Neville, and plenty more are in town
Wondering the same about Nashville. Isn't Jeff based there?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #1149
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
Wondering the same about Nashville. Isn't Jeff based there?
Yep.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #1150
CRUSHsoccer15

Still in search of a pair for Nashville N2 if anyone has a lead
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #1151
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post
Would be cool, but I wouldn't count on it. I think it's more likely Tim will guest on someone's set. MAYBE haynes or Krasno, but even then it's a big maybe. Looking at sets from past years they've been there, they never really took advantage of that
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #1152
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Would be cool, but I wouldn't count on it. I think it's more likely Tim will guest on someone's set. MAYBE haynes or Krasno, but even then it's a big maybe. Looking at sets from past years they've been there, they never really took advantage of that
The Edge.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #1153
ReturntoLettuce

As long as there are no conflicts, I bet Rashawn will guest at least.
ReturntoLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 AM   #1154
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The Edge.
forgot about that one. But, yeah. We could definitely see some guests, but just don't go in expecting one.If it happens, cool, but, otherwise, expect the most standard looking set from the Europe tour.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #1155
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Curious why you like this more than recent full band versions. From my POV, It's literally the same as recent full band versions but with 2+ minutes less jamming at the end. And I thought the main issue everyone had with newer ones is the shorter jam section (and fixed lyrics).
Just saw this now, so I'll answer. The song now just sounds too forced to me, like they felt they had to "finalize" it, and it wasn't ready for that. What made the song so great was the kind of "free-form, loose, don't know what's going to happen" vibe that it had, and honestly that's been lost as soon as they tried to condense it and finish it into a "song". Not to mention that it just lost that groove. Typical Loud/fast DMB doesn't fit it. It worked better with the chill jazzy vibe they had with Butch. Therefore this acoustic version sounds a little more loose, fresh and just more together because it's not everyone in DMB fighting to be heard over one another.

There's a way to do that well, and for example they did it with Proudest Monkey. They kept the same loose, jammy vibe of the song but still were able to "finish" it and put it on an album. This time, it didn't work. Sugar Will would be best as a 8-11 minute track even on a studio album, it just needs that space, loose feel to really be what it is imo.

Also, the not so "good" instead of "sweet" is just a such a brutal, awful change. I know it's so minute and sounds very nit-picky, but it just doesn't fit the same way, and I know I'm not alone in that thinking.

Once again, totally cool if you love it now...and I would gladly hear it live over tons of other stuff, but it's not what it could have been. And that's been the MO over the last 10+ years or so. The band has repeatedly seemed to have neglected some of their best material, including songs that have become staples live...and instead they have chosen to go into the studio totally fresh and write songs from scratch, and they've had very mixed results.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #1156
greykitkat36

I mean:

01 Sweet Up And Down
02 Crazy Easy
03 The Idea Of You
04 Kill The King
05 Good Good Time
06 A Dream So Real
07 Shotgun
08 #40
09 Loving Wings
10 Can't Stop
11 Cornbread
12 Sugar Will

We've all heard these songs tons of times, but can all agree that tracklisting would have serious potential--that with the right production could propel itself as one of the band's better albums and certainly one of the best of recent years. But yet, they don't seem into the idea of doing that. I get that--it's their band, it's their prerogative...but...these are good songs that a lot of fans, hardcore and beyond enjoy, seems like a no brainer to me. even If you wanted to substitute some of them for the newer songs like Bismarck and Samurai Cop, could be even better.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #1157
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I mean:

01 Sweet Up And Down
02 Crazy Easy
03 The Idea Of You
04 Kill The King
05 Good Good Time
06 A Dream So Real
07 Shotgun
08 #40
09 Loving Wings
10 Can't Stop
11 Cornbread
12 Sugar Will

We've all heard these songs tons of times, but can all agree that tracklisting would have serious potential--that with the right production could propel itself as one of the band's better albums and certainly one of the best of recent years. But yet, they don't seem into the idea of doing that. I get that--it's their band, it's their prerogative...but...these are good songs that a lot of fans, hardcore and beyond enjoy, seems like a no brainer to me. even If you wanted to substitute some of them for the newer songs like Bismarck and Samurai Cop, could be even better.
An album like this would satisfy a lot of people, in my opinion. They did it with Busted Stuff, and even churned out some great new songs in the process.

All of them have come back to be played live, so we know it's not a "Spotlight" situation where someone in the band just thinks it's garbage.

Crazy Easy
Idea of You
Bob Law
Good Good Time
Shotgun
Bismarck
Loving Wings
Sugar Will
Samurai Cop
Virginia In The Rain

Hopefully before it's all over with we'll get studio versions, even if they're just demos, but I think that, mixed with a couple of songs we maybe haven't heard or they haven't written would make for another classic.
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #1158
Josh.0

It'd be pretty funny if one day the band came out and said songs like Be Yourself, Sister, and Death on the High Seas were all written during the BTCS sessions.

It'd be entertaining to see people bend over backwards to justify universally panned songs as suddenly "great," lost "B Sides."

I mean, in reality they should do it just to troll us.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #1159
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
It'd be pretty funny if one day the band came out and said songs like Be Yourself, Sister, and Death on the High Seas were all written during the BTCS sessions.

It'd be entertaining to see people bend over backwards to justify universally panned songs as suddenly "great," lost "B Sides."

Well, we know for sure that High Seas was written a couple of years ago. Dave talked about writing it on one of those weird videos he was doing for a bit with Filament. They were on a ferris wheel or something. Might have been the year of the Caravan's but I think it was more recent than that.
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 AM   #1160
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post

No chance those songs were written then and no one on here would believe that . I'm pretty confident all the songs from 2015/2016 were written sometime between 2012 onward. That's when they started working with Cavallo again before for BW2. Some of these songs could have been ideas they brought to lillywhite for AFTW that's possible too, but my gut tells me none of them are older than 2010 and that's probably pushing it.

Sister could have been around before Stand Up, but probably was written after that. It debuted in '06, so probably between '05-'06 somewhere.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc