These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #21
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Really weak of them not to. If Dave can't see how good this tune is, it makes it really hard to look forward to anything he does moving forward. Not that I have for a while now. It's just gross the guy can't see past his own insecurities. Play your best stuff and stop justifying your crap.
I don't want to deviate from the thread topic, so maybe you can PM me this response, but what insecurities does Dave have? He didn't seem to have any in the 90s, so what would have caused him to develop them?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #22
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
The reaction to Everyday/Lillywhite
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #23
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Oh they're definitely not at that level. Seek Up, Raven, YNK, etc I would call awesome or amazing, not solid.

Also, I'm not sure I'm in the minority calling Samurai Cop solid. From what I can tell, people around here seem to dig it. But when it's a given in every setlist, nobody appreciates it anymore.

Amen brotha
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #24
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I would be disappointed if I went to a Dave and Tim show this summer and didn't hear samurai cop.
Pretty shocked by this. I'd be perfectly content if I never heard that song ever again by any artist. Not that it's a bad song because it's not but to me is just as middle of the road mediocre as it gets. It's bland and doesn't move me. It's better acoustic for sure, but still not something Im going to be "dissapointed" about missing. And yeah the fact it gets played every show just KILLS any more potential interest for it. For me it's just a song that I know is going to pop up, and I hate those. The whole time I'm just waiting for it to be over to see what's coming next

That song does get ballwashed around here because it just happens to be one of the slightly better songs Inc the last 10 years (which unfortunetley doesn't say much). But In all honesty samurai cop is without a doubt in the bottom third of the bands catalog even if it's at the top of the bottom. Music is subjective so I understand people like it, I just can't wrap my head around it. I see it as more complacent than anything, or wanting to like something new.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #25
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

That song does get ballwashed around here because it just happens to be one of the slightly better songs Inc the last 10 years (which unfortunetley doesn't say much). But In all honesty samurai cop is without a doubt in the bottom third of the bands catalog even if it's at the top of the bottom. Music is subjective so I understand people like it, I just can't wrap my head around it. I see it as more complacent than anything, or wanting to like something new.
If you admit you can't wrap your head around it and acknowledge that music is subjective, I don't know why you're trying to assign lame justifications and excuses on us for liking it. It's not something I find offensive so much as kind of annoying in discussions, because rather than asking us why we like it or trying to see why we like it, you're stuck inside your own head assigning your own POV on us (saying we're complacent with anything new, or reaching, or whatever).

Bottom line, (and this is in the general sense) I find there's nothing worse than the "you must simply be delusional" argument. It shows you have no respect for the other person's POV, and you have no interest in adjusting your own. Personally, there has been a lot of music, movies, art, etc I haven't liked initially, but grew to like, love or simply appreciate more by hearing other people's takes on it.

Last edited by Tomacco; 03-29-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
If you admit you can't wrap your head around it and acknowledge that music is subjective, I don't know why you're trying to assign lame justifications and excuses on us for liking it. It's not something I find offensive so much as kind of annoying in discussions, because rather than asking us why we like it or trying to see why we like it, you're stuck inside your own head assigning your own POV on us (saying we're complacent with anything new, or reaching, or whatever).

Bottom line, (and this is in the general sense) I find there's nothing worse than the "you must simply be delusional" argument. It shows you have no respect for the other person's POV, and you have no interest in adjusting your own. Personally, there has been a lot of music, movies, art, etc I haven't liked initially, but grew to like, love or simply appreciate more by hearing other people's takes on it.
I'm sorry, really I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, at least I'm not intending to. I'm just giving you my two cents. I do think there's a lot of people that want to believe Dave can still write and want to like some new stuff so they will latch on to anything with a glimmer. Not saying that you're doing that, and It seems like you genuinely like the song, and that's great. I know me personally, when I first heard the song I initially liked it, but the more I hear it, the more I realized I just liked it because it was fresh at the time and it didn't age well. Same deal with AFTW--really loved it when it came out, had the old school lillywhite sound and feel, but I only liked it because I WANTED to like new DMB, but through many listens, their new stuff just doesn't grab me. I can't pretend like it does.

I DO understand why people like it, and that's totally cool that you guys do. I personally don't care the song, to me the melody line is a little too static (unchanging), and kind of monotonous. But I can agree how it sounds more "old school" and has that same vibe that songs from the mid-90s have. Definitely can see that, and lyrically it's a huge upgrade from a lot of Dave's recent output. So I totally get it. Sorry to come off the way I do. I have no intention of appearing to be "elitist" or trying to convince anyone to hate it.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #27
greykitkat36

That being said, I would rank Samurai Cop and Bismarck at the top of all the new songs that are supposedly on this "new album". But there's so many songs above them for me, it would be so easy for me to forget about them and not care at all if they went away.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #28
Tomacco

Totally cool. For me, Samurai Cop and Bismarck have stood the test of time, and I genuinely enjoyed seeing them live multiple times last summer. VITR isn't a terribly EXCITING song but it works.

Bob Law I seem to enjoy about 1/5 versions of. The debut one I genuinely enjoy but most of the ones I've heard are just too sloppy. Black and Bluebird I enjoy listening to at home with a proper mix. But that song has its flaws for sure (too wordy, for one). It seems like a real snooze in a D&T style/setting too.

DOTHS is boring and the lyrics suck, IMO.

And on the topic of AFTW, the production is mostly great, but yeah, about half the songs don't do much for me. That's a separate discussion though.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #29
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Pretty shocked by this. I'd be perfectly content if I never heard that song ever again by any artist. Not that it's a bad song because it's not but to me is just as middle of the road mediocre as it gets. It's bland and doesn't move me. It's better acoustic for sure, but still not something Im going to be "dissapointed" about missing. And yeah the fact it gets played every show just KILLS any more potential interest for it. For me it's just a song that I know is going to pop up, and I hate those. The whole time I'm just waiting for it to be over to see what's coming next

It's not even a year old and it's a nice little song. It's pretty rare for me these days to be all that inspired by a new dave matthews song, but I think his head was in the right place with this one. Yes, I'd absolutely rather hear this new song that isn't bad instead of Gravedigger for the 100th time.

I don't think the song is ballwashed. I think people here can appreciate a nice effort because we all know the songwriting ability/quality has dropped significantly. Of course Samurai Cop doesn't rank with Warehouse, Two Step, Nancies, but it doesn't need to. He's never going to write at that caliber ever again.

Literally half of every DMB/DT/Dave show is songs that you know are going to pop up. And it's been that way since day one.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #30
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I don't want to deviate from the thread topic, so maybe you can PM me this response, but what insecurities does Dave have? He didn't seem to have any in the 90s, so what would have caused him to develop them?
I have to imagine Dave knows he can't write a stone or ynk anymore. He may play one, but he's no fool.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #31
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
It's not even a year old and it's a nice little song. It's pretty rare for me these days to be all that inspired by a new dave matthews song, but I think his head was in the right place with this one. Yes, I'd absolutely rather hear this new song that isn't bad instead of Gravedigger for the 100th time.

I don't think the song is ballwashed. I think people here can appreciate a nice effort because we all know the songwriting ability/quality has dropped significantly. Of course Samurai Cop doesn't rank with Warehouse, Two Step, Nancies, but it doesn't need to. He's never going to write at that caliber ever again.

Literally half of every DMB/DT/Dave show is songs that you know are going to pop up. And it's been that way since day one.
All great points. Yeah I'm not expecting Dave to write a Nancies or WH again, but I think even some more recent songs have been stronger--broken things, arguably snow outside, a dream so real, Eh Hee that grab me more. Samurai Cop definitely has a catchy melody though and that's something that's been missing a lot from recent DMB too. The hooks to many of these newer songs leave a lot to be desired and they're far from memorable. Broken things has that hook, as does some other ones like Bismarck.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #32
Crumbo

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 04-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #33
klillyblad

This tape sounds so good. I've had Dodo on repeat since Sunday.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc