These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #721
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered View Post
i've never owned a car (filthy new yorker who hasnt ever had a need for one) but I have to admit the Model 3 makes me really wish i had a reason to get one.
Yeah, if I lived in Boston or NYC, I wouldn't drive either. Glad you like the car though.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #722
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
i've never owned a car (filthy new yorker who hasnt ever had a need for one) but I have to admit the Model 3 makes me really wish i had a reason to get one.
Tesla might be my next car. My most recent car was stolen this past February and I've been borrowing a family member's extra car since then. I'm not sure which model Tesla I would buy yet though. Still debating this one.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #723
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Whether in the Model S, 3, X - you get the Tesla grin!

Old 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #724
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Tesla might be my next car. My most recent car was stolen this past February and I've been borrowing a family member's extra car since then. I'm not sure which model Tesla I would buy yet though. Still debating this one.
Don't know if you are looking for a used one, but for anyone who wants to get an older Model S, I'm seeing some from $38-41k on this FB group - Teslas For Sale By Owner

Remember: high mileage is not such a big factor compared to buying a used ICE car.

Edit: There's a used 2013 Model S60 that just got slashed to $37.5k
Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #725
Feathered
oh shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Don't know if you are looking for a used one, but for anyone who wants to get an older Model S, I'm seeing some from $38-41k on this FB group - Teslas For Sale By Owner

Remember: high mileage is not such a big factor compared to buying a used ICE car.

Man I wish car ownership wasn't a ridiculous debacle / waste of money in the city. I've gotten to drive a Tesla a few times and goddamn I loved it. My only wish would be a manual transmission since thats how I learned how to drive but I totally get why that doesn't exist. Nothing like really feeling the car when you drive a tight manual vehicle.

When my grandfather passed years ago I refused to let them sell his car (he loved it and babied it until his last days on this planet) and I have had it up in storage upstate ever since. Fortunately one of my dads childhood friends is a car nut and restores old muscle cars so I don't have to pay for it to be in in a climate controlled warehouse type place but there is just nothing but downsides to having one when you live in Manhattan. Between the high insurance, parking bullshit, traffic ruining any fun that can be had, asshole drivers.... just no.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #726
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Man I wish car ownership wasn't a ridiculous debacle / waste of money in the city. I've gotten to drive a Tesla a few times and goddamn I loved it. My only wish would be a manual transmission since thats how I learned how to drive but I totally get why that doesn't exist. Nothing like really feeling the car when you drive a tight manual vehicle.

When my grandfather passed years ago I refused to let them sell his car (he loved it and babied it until his last days on this planet) and I have had it up in storage upstate ever since. Fortunately one of my dads childhood friends is a car nut and restores old muscle cars so I don't have to pay for it to be in in a climate controlled warehouse type place but there is just nothing but downsides to having one when you live in Manhattan. Between the high insurance, parking bullshit, traffic ruining any fun that can be had, asshole drivers.... just no.
Well, eventually most city driving will be autonomous EV and "human driving" will be done for fun on off roads. Check out this report on Peak Car Ownership from RMI:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
According to our modeling, peak car ownership in the United States will occur around 2020 and will drop quickly after that.
Quote:
But carmakers that provide mobility services and autonomous vehicles could reap substantial profit since our current system costs around $0.80 per mile, and mature electric automated mobility service could cost only $0.30 per mile. That difference of $0.50 per mile equates to over $1 trillion in total savings that will be split between society, consumers, and the mobility service providers of the future.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #727
Feathered
oh shit!

Quote:
Well, eventually most city driving will be autonomous EV and "human driving" will be done for fun on off roads. Check out this report on Peak Car Ownership from RMI:

I eagerly await our minority report style vehicles in cities.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #728
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:

thanks. Can we talk via PM?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #729
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
thanks. Can we talk via PM?
Welcome! Sure thing. I await your message.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #730
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Welcome! Sure thing. I await your message.

thanks
Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #731
ggies
Sugar Will '04

When I heard his last statement:

Quote:
"If you're a consumer, and you're going to buy an electric vehicle, who are you going to buy it from? The company that's all in or the company that is well, I'm not so sure....."

I was like:

Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #732
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Tesla is a little behind when they thought they would have full autonomy ready, but this article shows they are still ahead of the competition. If they are beat to the market, it's only because others have geo-fenced certain cities to use their autonomy technology - Tesla is going for a full blown, no tricks up their sleeves approach.

Elon stated this in the most recent Q2 investors call and adds color to what they are doing:

Quote:
Tesla has developed an autonomous chip that is at least 3 years ahead of any other automotive manufacturer. Musk explained, "whereas the current Nvidia hardware can do 200 frames a second, this is able to do over 2,000 frames a second and with full redundancy and fail-over.” Tesla is currently using an Nvidia chip with 12 teraflops of performance. A tenfold improvement would suggest Tesla’s chip has roughly 120 teraflops of performance. Nvidia’s Xavier chip, which is currently sampling and likely won’t be installed into vehicles until late 2019, has roughly 30 teraflops of performance. In other words, traditional automakers have committed to a chip with inferior specs, and will likely have to wait for Nvidia’s next autonomous product before they can have a processing system comparable to the system Tesla is testing today.​

Last edited by ggies; 08-15-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #733
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Two great videos with Elon, one interview, the other the factory. I actually got to take a tour of the factory back in 2014, when it was much less busy, and it was amazing even back then.

If you have any questions on what you've seen in the media about Tesla going private, let me know because I keep up with the company on a daily basis. I'm not only a huge fan, and soon-to-be owner, but an investor since 2012. 99% of what is written is wrong and it's just to push the stock price down.

It's a good thing Tesla is trying to go private, as it will let the company focus on extreme growth and not what Wall Street deems is necessary.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #734
ggies
Sugar Will '04

For those who want to keep track and for those who thought I was a little extreme talking about all the FUD out there:

Quote:
FUD is an acronym for fear, uncertainty and doubt. When it comes to Tesla it seems some media sources have ramped up production on an anti-Tesla narrative. The purpose of this tracker is to keep score on which sources and authors publish FUD that can be ignored and which keep at least some balance in their reporting.

The tracker currently works by looking for common FUD keywords in titles and summaries of articles but may later change to a machine learning model. Contributions are welcome.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #735
ggies
Sugar Will '04

The CEO of VW is finally starting to realize the transition that is taking place.

About Battery cell production in Asia supplying VW:

Quote:
"I find it frightening that we moved into this dependency (with Asia)" Until 2025 he expects a total revenue of €60bn with car batteries.

"an even larger challenge is to connect the car with the internet"

"SW in a car plays the deciding role" If we are honest Google and Amazon do this much better.

"We have to manage the digital revolution if we want to survive"

He continued that the cars will be fully integrated in the net and over the air updates happen without a visit of a dealer or shop.

"We need an extremely fast increase in competence"

With the electro power train the possibilities to differentiate are limited..... An opportunity to differentiate is mainly the intelligence of the car.

He favors investments in suppliers.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #736
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This week Trump and his admin released their version of the energy plan....obviously not good.

Another timely study that bascially refutes Trump's new plan by showing the economics of renewable energy win over dirty energy, specifically coal.

Quote:
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

In this report, as an indicative case study of this broader trend, we examine the cost-savings opportunities
renewables price declines have made possible for Tri-State Generation & Transmission Association and its
member co-ops. Specifically, we consider their opportunity to engage in large-scale procurement of cost effective
renewable energy projects, while maintaining system reliability requirements. We analyze two illustrative
power supply portfolios based on publicly available data, and find that procurement of new wind and solar
projects represents approximately $600 million of cost-savings potential for Tri-State’s members through 2030,
versus continued reliance on legacy coal-fired generation
Quote:
Peer utilities in the Mountain West in 2018 have announced similar strategies of cost-effectively reducing
operating hours and/or retiring legacy coal while meeting resource adequacy and reliability needs with
renewables and other resources:

• NV Energy has announced plans to develop 1 GW of solar and 100 MW of battery energy storage over
the next 25 years. The availability of low-cost solar energy contributes to NV Energy’s ability to
economically retire the 127 MW North Valmy coal plant by 2021, ahead of its 2025 scheduled retirement
date.

• Xcel Energy’s Colorado Energy Plan proposal would shut down two legacy coal units 10 years ahead of
schedule, replacing them with wind, solar, and battery projects, saving Xcel customers $215 million.
Under the proposed investment plan, Xcel would source over half of its energy from wind and solar by

Here Trump is speaking at one of his recent rallies. He sounds like a fucking moron and I feel sorry for those who are being duped.

Please share the study, because that's the only way those who are being manipulated will come to understand the situation.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #737
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
At an average of around 2 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh), prices offered by newly built wind projects in the United States are being driven lower by technology advancements and cost reductions.
Quote:
Increased rotor diameters, in particular, have begun to dramatically increase wind project capacity factors.
Quote:
Recently signed wind energy contracts compare favorably to projections of the fuel costs of gas-fired generation. These low prices have spurred demand for wind energy from both traditional electric utilities and nonutility purchasers, such as corporations, universities, and municipalities.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #738
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I may be late to the boat, but I was stunned and impressed with the size and number of wind farms in Kansas and OK when I drove through two weeks ago
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #739
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I may be late to the boat, but I was stunned and impressed with the size and number of wind farms in Kansas and OK when I drove through two weeks ago
Nice

Some people think they are an eye-sore, but when I see them I think how far we have come that we are using the Sun's energy (that creates wind) and capturing it for our own uses....and one day it will be practically free!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #740
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Eyesore fucking idiots
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc