These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Josh.0

What are your hobbies?

What are you all into outside of DMB? What are your favorite things to do with your spare time? Do you teach anything? Create anything? Explore? I love learning about what makes individual people “tick” and where they find particular value in life outside of the normal stuff (family, friends, work, etc.).

I just mentioned in another thread I love craft beer, particularly Belgian lambics. I’ve traveled to Europe I think seven times (five times solo) primarily to go on beer adventures, including Oktoberfest, Belgian beer beer fests, lambic and Trappist brewery tours, and other fun events.

I also love to tour international cities on foot, usually walking anywhere from 10-20 miles a day exploring different neighborhoods, restaurants, museums, nightlife, etc. Traveling in general is my biggest passion. I’ve been to four continents (it was supposed to be five this year until COVID-19 hit) and I think about 20 countries. My favorite places that I’ve visited are Lisbon, Berlin, Prague, Barcelona, Tuscany, and Colombia. Least favorite: Lima, Tokyo, and Amsterdam (though none were awful, they just weren’t what I expected).

I also really like power yoga and weight lifting and have a pretty big vintage 70’s and 80’s horror movie poster (aka one sheet) collection.

What about you? I know so much about what your favorite DMB songs are and who you voted for but little about what drives and interests you outside of those two things. I’m curious to see what types of passions (Bee keeping? Vinyl collecting? VHS tapes? Marathon running? Distance hiking? Car restoration? Team sports?) you all have.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

video games

I used to run but I got out of the habit when I started working 2 jobs. I have plenty of time now I'm just lazy.

I'd be a total foodie if I could afford it. Same with travel. I love traveling and want to go to Europe and Japan badly, but I just can't afford it.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Josh.0

If you ever need tips on booking cheap flights let me know. Pre-COVID Iíd spend a lot of time scouring Google flights for cheap international flights.

Iíve booked several flights under $500 and even under $400 to Europe. Then if you AirBNB, you can be all-in (flights, lodging for a week or two) for under $1K (plus whatever you spend).
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
jeff1818

I have indoor and outdoor hobbies. Indoor (good for quarantine!) include reading comic books and listening to music. Outdoor hobbies include learning new things and being active. I love seeing live bands, playing volleyball or pickup dodgeball, taking salsa classes. Before the city shut down, I started taking an improv class! It was super fun. I’m always reticent about that kind of spotlight but I did well and some thought I was a natural! I’m hoping to pursue those again when the city reopens.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
Wildcats82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
If you ever need tips on booking cheap flights let me know. Pre-COVID Iíd spend a lot of time scouring Google flights for cheap international flights.

Iíve booked several flights under $500 and even under $400 to Europe. Then if you AirBNB, you can be all-in (flights, lodging for a week or two) for under $1K (plus whatever you spend).
I still work at a hotel one day a week for the Hilton discount. It is great in the USA. And every time I've looked at London there are ample hotels available. But damn in other countries not so much. There are like 2 hilton properties in Tokyo. One is by the airport, thus its an hour away from the city. The other is a Conrad so it's super expensive and never has the employee rate available.

France has a Waldorf in Paris and Versailles. Italy has a Waldorf in Rome. It sucks
Old 11-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Bluewater34
Is Old

Beer, bourbon, music and reading about beer, bourbon and music are big for me. I love to cook and with the bar in the new house I’m starting to dip my toes into mixology, which I’m enjoying, but I don’t know how deep I’ll get into it. I love to travel and am partial to places with natural beauty and/or historical significance, but with three small kids, travel isn’t quite as easy or appealing as it used to be. I also love to get out and ride my bike when I can. I found a really nice new route this weekend through some beautiful countryside around my little town.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #7
Josh.0

WC, do you get Hilton points as an employee? Or only with your stays? I’m wondering if you could transfer those into miles with airlines to book flights, and then instead of paying for flights, you pay for your lodging (like cheap AirBNB’s).

BW I really like cycling/biking as well. I was getting a little right knee tendinitis towards the end of summer so I’ve taken a couple months off from cycling, but I get my Peloton in two weeks and I can’t wait to start peddling again. But outdoor biking is by far my favorite form of cardio. Oddly, I really love nighttime urban riding when the streets are significantly easier to navigate and it’s easier to “see” cars coming up behind you (because of their headlights). When I was in Denver I’d ride all the time at night, it was one of my favorite things to do when I was there.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
somf4eva

Quote:
I may take you up on that.

I am a musician in the military. I play the fife, which is a essentially a flute with no keys. My hobbies center around studying the history of Military Music, hiking, running/cycling, and video games. I have also been learning banjo for almost 20 years with no real progress.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Tomacco

Quote:
I also love to tour international cities on foot, usually walking anywhere from 10-20 miles a day exploring different neighborhoods, restaurants, museums, nightlife, etc. Traveling in general is my biggest passion. I’ve been to four continents (it was supposed to be five this year until COVID-19 hit) and I think about 20 countries. My favorite places that I’ve visited are Lisbon, Berlin, Prague, Barcelona, Tuscany, and Colombia. Least favorite: Lima, Tokyo, and Amsterdam (though none were awful, they just weren’t what I expected).
We are opposite humans.
Tokyo was the best trip of my life (part of a wider Japan trip), and I've been to Amsterdam a few times in my 20s because I enjoyed it. And, Berlin and Colombia didn't do much for me, to be honest.
Barcelona and Tuscany were great though. Lisbon too, but I wasn't a fan of the food.
Other places I've been to which I loved are Switzerland (Interlaken and Lauyerbrunnen specifically), Paris, Florence, Venice (despite being touristy), Edinburgh, London, and Iceland.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I teach parttime at a university in Denver. A media and technology class. I enjoy it and the extra money helps for sure. My full-time job is also in education so they work together in some ways.

Hobbies: baseball and live music. I go to a lot of games and a lot of shows. Collect vinyl + live music recordings. I don't play a lot of video games but still enjoy NCAA college football + a baseball simulator.

Interests: Photography, hiking, camping, biking, marijuana. Lot's of marijuana.

I'd like to get into wood working if anyone dabbles in that.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
Wildcats82

Quote:
WC, do you get Hilton points as an employee? Or only with your stays? Iím wondering if you could transfer those into miles with airlines to book flights, and then instead of paying for flights, you pay for your lodging (like cheap AirBNBís).
We do get points. That was not always the case but it changed recently. Employee rate is based on availability. If a hotel projects itself to be less than 80% occupancy than the rate is available. Blackout dates do apply (for example, if a city knows it is hosting the Super Bowl, it can black those dates out LONG before any projections are made).

Currently the employee rates are

Hampton Inn, Home2 Suites, Homewood Suites, Tru, and Hilton Garden Inn are $35 a night

DoubleTree, full service Hilton, and Embassy Suites are $45

Tapestry and Curio are $55

Waldorf Astoria and Conrad are $75 a night.

But generally Waldors and Conrads are rarely available, except during times when no one wants to travel.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I teach parttime at a university in Denver. A media and technology class. I enjoy it and the extra money helps for sure. My full-time job is also in education so they work together in some ways.

Hobbies: baseball and live music. I go to a lot of games and a lot of shows. Collect vinyl + live music recordings. I don't play a lot of video games but still enjoy NCAA college football + a baseball simulator.

Interests: Photography, hiking, camping, biking, marijuana. Lot's of marijuana.

I'd like to get into wood working if anyone dabbles in that.
I wish I knew this when I was still in CO. If Iíd known that I wouldíve brought edibles and fed them to you and Rob.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
We do get points. That was not always the case but it changed recently. Employee rate is based on availability. If a hotel projects itself to be less than 80% occupancy than the rate is available. Blackout dates do apply (for example, if a city knows it is hosting the Super Bowl, it can black those dates out LONG before any projections are made).

Currently the employee rates are

Hampton Inn, Home2 Suites, Homewood Suites, Tru, and Hilton Garden Inn are $35 a night

DoubleTree, full service Hilton, and Embassy Suites are $45

Tapestry and Curio are $55

Waldorf Astoria and Conrad are $75 a night.

But generally Waldors and Conrads are rarely available, except during times when no one wants to travel.
Holy shit! No wonder youíre like ďfuck your AirBNB.Ē $75 for a high end room is as good as it gets.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #14
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
I may take you up on that.

I am a musician in the military. I play the fife, which is a essentially a flute with no keys. My hobbies center around studying the history of Military Music, hiking, running/cycling, and video games. I have also been learning banjo for almost 20 years with no real progress.
Anytime!

The secret, in normal times, is to book two itineraries. One from a major US city to London or Paris. If you’re flexible, you can get that as low as $260, $280, $300 round trip (like from Boston, DC, NY or Chicago).

Then work in a 4-5 hour (minimum, sometimes I’ll just stay the night in Paris or London) layover and book a separate itinerary from Paris or London (make sure you use the same airport) to wherever else you wanna go in Europe. That gives you access to more airlines and more super cheap rates.

Yes, there’s the risk your first flight gets super delayed and you screw up making the second, but overall international flights try very hard to stay on schedule (because it’s so much harder to adjust international schedules for airlines) and even if you missed the connector chances are you’re only out about $100 and will be able to find another flight for $100-$200 pretty much anywhere.

I’ve done this almost every time I’ve traveled internationally and I’ve never missed a flight. Plus, if you have the long layover you can pass out for a bit at the airport or just start your drinkin’ and eatin’ (which is what I do).

I find if you take ten days for a trip and book out on a Tuesday or Wednesday and back on a Sunday you can keep it really, really cheap and have plenty of time to explore.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #15
NiCK (Crush)

Movies and golf take up the majority of my free time.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
Wildcats82

Quote:
Holy shit! No wonder you’re like “fuck your AirBNB.” $75 for a high end room is as good as it gets.
oh it is amazing. It has made my life much easier. Only problem is that big time tourist destinations are hard to get. I got lucky with NYC because it's almost impossible to get. (note, if you want to go to NYC and are optimistic about covid, now is the time to book. I'm going in August 2021 and there are rooms in Manhattan available for less than $150. There is an Embassy Suites near Times Square that is $123 a night. and a hampton inn near grand central that is $99 That is the normal rate not a discount. And they are PRIME hotels)

Still one of the best nights of my life. Wish I had kept a diary. Went to see Florence and the Machine in Cincinnati. I booked a room at the Embassy Suites across the river in Covington, KY. $45. Got my free drinks at the Embassy managers reception. Walked across the bridge to see the show. They had a craft beer garden where full 20oz beers were $5. Saw the show and walked back to the hotel. I literally had the exact perfect amount of alcohol in me that I was 'drunk' but woke up in the morning remembering everything with no hangover. It was fucking incredible.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #17
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
We are opposite humans.
Tokyo was the best trip of my life (part of a wider Japan trip), and I've been to Amsterdam a few times in my 20s because I enjoyed it. And, Berlin and Colombia didn't do much for me, to be honest.
Barcelona and Tuscany were great though. Lisbon too, but I wasn't a fan of the food.
Other places I've been to which I loved are Switzerland (Interlaken and Lauyerbrunnen specifically), Paris, Florence, Venice (despite being touristy), Edinburgh, London, and Iceland.
I think the mistake I made in Tokyo is going solo. Iíve always loved and preferred traveling solo, but that was the one place where it was difficult because not many people speak English. Also, it took a LONG time to get anywhere and there were long lines for everything, which felt suffocating and a bit frustrating at times.

The best parties Iíve ever been to were in Berlin and Colombia. Prague and Barcelona, too. I just found it easy, especially in Berlin and Prague, to meet people and find my way into all sorts of crazy shit every night I was there. Plus, the history. It was unreal.

Iíd love to go to Switzerland. Iíve been everywhere around it but never actually in the country.

My best trips/favorite places:

1) Berlin
2) Lisbon
3) Colombia
4) Prague
5) Belgium
6) Tuscany
7) Barcelona
8) London
9) Vienna
10) Sweden
11) Munich
12) St. Croix/St. John

Didnít mind it, but not great:

1) Taipei
2) British Virgin Islands
3) Paris (beautiful but the locals suck)
4) Dominican Republic
5) San Juan

Didnít like:

1) Lima
2) Tokyo
3) Costa Rica (overrated tourist trap IMO)
4) Amsterdam (it had its moments, but I just didnít find it that interesting culturally)
5) Machu Picchu (another tourist trap)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #18
Mersh

Spent time in Interlaken, it was fantastic. Also very much liked Salzburg and Munich.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #19
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Spent time in Interlaken, it was fantastic. Also very much liked Salzburg and Munich.
Was it insanely expense? That's what I've always heard about Switzerland, and in particular Interlaken, but sometimes I think the people that say stuff like that tend to make a lot of things expense (instead of mixing in budget meals, hotels, etc. with fancy ones).

It looks insanely gorgeous. I really want to visit in the summertime.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #20
blumathu

Writing and recording music. Reading sci fi and fantasy novels. Playing video games. Listening to music.

All 4 of my hobbies have changed drastically for me in the past few years.

1. Last year I invested in a more capable USB audio interface and some decent effects / plugins, and finally tried programming stuff in midi. It invigorated me. I'd been struggling creatively for a while and it's been so much fun getting back into it.
2. Bought a kindle a few years ago, and now I read at least 5 times more than I used to. Very convenient.
3. My kids are getting old enough to game with me, that's a lot of fun. Mostly stick to Nintendo. Also learned how to mod old game boys during the pandemic.
4. Subscribing to a streaming music platform is such a great option to have nowadays. I have gone back and listened to lots of old albums that I have always wanted to hear but never got around to it. Also really enjoyed the album of the week thread we had going for a while.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc