These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #81
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRALL View Post
Can't believe we are getting a Fall 98 show and people are finding something to complain about. Without being able to refer to a 'rarity index' (I know I love DMBAlmanac and refer to it often), you would have no complaints. This is a good release because its from Fall 98. A tour of the band at its absolute peak. Them purely being without any guests at all makes this worth releasing.

Can't believe the pessimism some times.
Can’t speak for anyone else, but I wasn’t complaining at all. Seems like most everyone else is saying g they will buy this as well.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #82
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
I'll always buy and jam out to 90s DMB. The set may look short. It may be a head-scratcher, but I'm down. Down to jam.
I don't think it's that short. This was the norm back then when the band actually jammed. They always played 13-16 songs before ED kind of changed their songwriting style to be a little more tight and concise. And now canned horns takes jams out of songs that used to have them, so they play like 25 songs now and jam out like 2 per night. Granted they play 3 hour shows now instead of 2, but they were much more improv based for sure.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #83
ThememanXX

Listened to the tape of this one between yesterday and today. I'll be glad to buy the mixed/mastered copy.

The band sounds fantastic.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?

Last edited by ThememanXX; 09-03-2020 at 08:31 AM.
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #84
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post
In the Fall of 1998, Dave Matthews Band was nearing the end of a months-long tour in support of their new album, Before These Crowded Streets. This show from Boise State University Pavilion on November 2nd, which is also Carter’s Birthday, includes long-time collaborator, Tim Reynolds, onstage for inspired versions of Rapunzel, Stay (Wasting Time), Crush, as well as extended jams on Lie In Our Graves and Jimi Thing.

Dave Matthews Band
November 2, 1998
Boise State University Pavilion, Boise, ID

Seek Up
Heartbeat Intro »
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
Crash into Me
Don't Drink the Water

Minarets
Crush
Lie in Our Graves
Stay (Wasting Time)
Jimi Thing

Two Step
Tripping Billies
-----------------------------------
I'll Back You Up
Too Much
The one guy who said he wouldn't buy is here

So I bolded the overlap with Live in Chicago, the only other Fall '98 release that is mostly just Tim. What's left is actually really good, Seek Up, Minarets, Crush, Two Step, Billies, IBYU. I'm starting to go from "won't buy" to "on the fence"

I really need to hear more about
a) the mix and
b) the quality of some of these performances.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #85
ThememanXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
The one guy who said he wouldn't buy is here

So I bolded the overlap with Live in Chicago, the only other Fall '98 release that is mostly just Tim. What's left is actually really good, Seek Up, Minarets, Crush, Two Step, Billies, IBYU. I'm starting to go from "won't buy" to "on the fence"

I really need to hear more about
a) the mix and
b) the quality of some of these performances.
Tim is awesome on LIOG and Jimi. More subtle than in December, if that makes sense. The Heartbeat Intro, I'd take released each and every time. It's something I love from the band, so smooth and always featured Roi. We don't get music like that from them anymore.

There were 34 shows on the tour and DDTW was played at each and every one and PNP>Rapunzel was played at all but one (12/15/98.) You won't get away from those. To a lesser extent, same with Too Much, Crash and Stay. They're the "hits!"
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #86
dmb1981

I'll take this but what a stupid '98 choice. Just can't put a '98 MSG package together? I don't get these fools.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #87
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Tim is awesome on LIOG and Jimi. More subtle than in December, if that makes sense. The Heartbeat Intro, I'd take released each and every time. It's something I love from the band, so smooth and always featured Roi. We don't get music like that from them anymore.

There were 34 shows on the tour and DDTW was played at each and every one and PNP>Rapunzel was played at all but one (12/15/98.) You won't get away from those. To a lesser extent, same with Too Much, Crash and Stay. They're the "hits!"
I know Tim was way more subtle on the 10/31/98 Jimi, though that also featured Joshua Redman.

I enjoy the Live in Chicago LIOG so a more subtle version of that might be something that peaks my interest.

Heartbeat, yeah, hard to not like that when it's on
Old 09-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #88
greykitkat36

Quote:
The Heartbeat Intro, I'd take released each and every time. It's something I love from the band, so smooth and always featured Roi. We don't get music like that from them anymore.
The Heartbeat Intro is what made me fall in love with the band. A friend showed me Crush (studio version), and right after I decided to buy LS. As soon as I put in Listener Supported, I was instantly hooked as a hardcore fan because of the Heartbeat Intro. What a beautiful piece of music, and that LS version is one of the best.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #89
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
I'll take this but what a stupid '98 choice. Just can't put a '98 MSG package together? I don't get these fools.
It's not this or MSG and they picked wrong. They know about MSG. There are extra hoops for guests, which also had Warren Haynes, extra hoops for MSG, we recently got a Bela show. All these are taken into consideration.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #90
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
The Heartbeat Intro is what made me fall in love with the band. A friend showed me Crush (studio version), and right after I decided to buy LS. As soon as I put in Listener Supported, I was instantly hooked as a hardcore fan because of the Heartbeat Intro. What a beautiful piece of music, and that LS version is one of the best.
I'm glad they haven't tried it with this lineup. I don't think I could stomach it. The Heartbeat holds an extremely special place in my growing up. I grew up listening to any version I could get my ears on. Special music.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #91
batleon

I think I do have every other release with Heartbeat on it...

See, I'm slowly caving in guys
Old 09-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #92
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
It's not this or MSG and they picked wrong. They know about MSG. There are extra hoops for guests, which also had Warren Haynes, extra hoops for MSG, we recently got a Bela show. All these are taken into consideration.
Are you talking about LT 47 Hartford? I dont necessarily consider us just getting that considering it was over a year and a half ago.

However, I'm not nearly as upset as others about this. Any of these older shows are perfect for me since I wasnt around back then and wasnt listening to these tapes as they came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #93
SomeDevil17

I’m kinda alright this show is just the 6 of them. Sometimes I enjoy the og lineups more with no guest.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #94
ThememanXX

It's a good show. There are no Stand Up or Everyday songs. There's no Rashawn Ross. There's no keyboard.

Shut the fuck up and spend the $12 or whatever on this show when it comes out, you won't regret it. Twelve dollars.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 09-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #95
blumathu

If you're gonna pass on a Winter '98 DMB show, I think maybe you just don't like DMB anymore.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #96
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Cool. Couple of great performances here. Interested to see how the mix comes out vs. the other '98 releases we have. Hard to complain about a Fall '98 release.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #97
blumathu

I think it's cool that the prior show is Live Trax 39. I'll probably listen to them back to back just for fun.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #98
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Just realized Fall '98 has been represented in basically every Live Release format DMB offers, In-Store release with LiC, WH5 Vol. 1, Live Trax 1, DMBLive 11/30.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #99
dmb1981

Quote:
It's a good show. There are no Stand Up or Everyday songs. There's no Rashawn Ross. There's no keyboard.

Shut the fuck up and spend the $12 or whatever on this show when it comes out, you won't regret it. Twelve dollars.
We know that. Aside from that, pick a better ‘98 show. It’s not rocket science.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #100
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
We know that. Aside from that, pick a better ‘98 show. It’s not rocket science.
When your example is a 2 show boxed set laden with guests from MSG, you just arguing for "pick a better '98 show" is more reasonable. You can understand that the reaction was more to that.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc