These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 27,997
Dave, Stefan, Carter and Tim should go on a tour together

This shouldn't create much heartache with the whole band because technically they're the original heart of the group - and you all know that Tim has been involved since the beginning. Jeff could go hang with the Tones for a season and Ross could get some much needed time away from shrill noises.

Stripped down theater tour, Carter on a very small kit, Tim on acoustic, and have guests come sit in here and there on acoustic instruments.

The could call it the Roots tour or some shit and it would be neat.
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,507
They tried this, they called it the Acoustic / Electric sets in 2014 & 2015.

The beginning of 2014 there were a handful of different members on stage during the first month, but of course dmb got complacent. By 2015, the acoustic set sounded almost identical to the electric set when it wasnt just dave solo playing a song. By the end, i feel like dave played 3 solo songs, the band played 3 songs 'acoustic' then they played a shorter full set afterwards.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren
 
Thor2531's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
They tried this, they called it the Acoustic / Electric sets in 2014 & 2015.

The beginning of 2014 there were a handful of different members on stage during the first month, but of course dmb got complacent. By 2015, the acoustic set sounded almost identical to the electric set when it wasnt just dave solo playing a song. By the end, i feel like dave played 3 solo songs, the band played 3 songs 'acoustic' then they played a shorter full set afterwards.
It was one of the bigger letdowns in the live environment in my opinion. It didn't help that management was marketing it as "who would you love to see guest with the band" making it seem like it was going to be an acoustic set with friends.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 27,997
I'm well of the failed "two sets" experiment. One of the reasons it failed was because it was in a big energy-soaked venue. They didn't know how to really tone it down in that scenario and I understand because of the radiant energy. Make em sit down in a theater and make the setting dictate the vibe.
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
ThememanXX
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
A "stripped down" tour playing theaters would be incredible. That said, who knows when live shows will even get going again.....so for now, I wish they'd be able to get together and stream one 'social distanced' live show a month or something like that.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
zaphod!
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 22,331
i may be in the minority here, but i don't see the acoustic sets as a failure? i really liked them and i wish they'd do it again with buddy on piano
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i may be in the minority here, but i don't see the acoustic sets as a failure? i really liked them and i wish they'd do it again with buddy on piano
Ohh that's a good one!
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
soups
bla bla bla sandwich
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: world
Posts: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
A "stripped down" tour playing theaters would be incredible. That said, who knows when live shows will even get going again.....so for now, I wish they'd be able to get together and stream one 'social distanced' live show a month or something like that.
Oh yeah this may not even be reasonable because 2020
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,598
Dave, Stefan, Carter and Tim should go on a tour together

Personally, I would love a Dave, Tim, Bela, and Stefan theater tour. One can dream though.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 23,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i may be in the minority here, but i don't see the acoustic sets as a failure? i really liked them and i wish they'd do it again with buddy on piano
Not only were they not a failure, they were the highlight of dmb fandom over the last decade.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:16 AM   #11
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, California
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
This shouldn't create much heartache with the whole band because technically they're the original heart of the group - and you all know that Tim has been involved since the beginning. Jeff could go hang with the Tones for a season and Ross could get some much needed time away from shrill noises.

Stripped down theater tour, Carter on a very small kit, Tim on acoustic, and have guests come sit in here and there on acoustic instruments.

The could call it the Roots tour or some shit and it would be neat.
Yes. I am absolutely for this. There was that recently from one of the acoustic sets that someone posted that demonstrated how great that could be.
__________________
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Koko the Monkey
Got Q?
 
Koko the Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
A "stripped down" tour playing theaters would be incredible. That said, who knows when live shows will even get going again.....so for now, I wish they'd be able to get together and stream one 'social distanced' live show a month or something like that.
I've been thinking, if they did a PPV live show what the max I would be willing to pay for the stream.
Koko the Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Not only were they not a failure, they were the highlight of dmb fandom over the last decade.
Agree with this. The only problem was the generic electric set that accompanied it. The acoustic sets were a supremely welcomed treat (Boyd dropping his bow in broad daylight at 730pm aside). I was there for those drops and wow, was that the end of the end of DMB as we knew them. Roi passing was clearly the end, but a "professional" musician dropping his instrument was it in my books. My buddies and I couldn't believe what we were seeing. It just didn't make sense relative to what high regard we held these guys in.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Carter41
dislikes ATVs at the moment
 
Carter41's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,470
I don't think the band has the discipline to abandon the louder/faster crutch that they've created. We either get the band where songs Grey Street are played at 2x speed, where Carter can't stop riding the hell out of his left side China cymbal coupled with his incessant use of his double bass pedal, where Rashawn sounds like a cat being brutally murdered, and where Tim is shredding like a cheesy 80s hair band guitarist, or we get Dave and Tim. I'm not sure there's the ability, let alone room, for anything else.
__________________
Matt
Carter41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, California
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter41 View Post
I don't think the band has the discipline to abandon the louder/faster crutch that they've created. We either get the band where songs Grey Street are played at 2x speed, where Carter can't stop riding the hell out of his left side China cymbal coupled with his incessant use of his double bass pedal, where Rashawn sounds like a cat being brutally murdered, and where Tim is shredding like a cheesy 80s hair band guitarist, or we get Dave and Tim. I'm not sure there's the ability, let alone room, for anything else.
2014 and 2015 prove this is not really true. They certainly can do this, but that says nothing about whether they will reach the full potential of the format in regard to setlists, etc.
__________________
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #16
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, California
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Personally, I would love a Dave, Tim, Bela, and Stefan theater tour. One can dream though.
That would be incredibly cool.
__________________
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, California
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Agree with this. The only problem was the generic electric set that accompanied it. The acoustic sets were a supremely welcomed treat (Boyd dropping his bow in broad daylight at 730pm aside). I was there for those drops and wow, was that the end of the end of DMB as we knew them. Roi passing was clearly the end, but a "professional" musician dropping his instrument was it in my books. My buddies and I couldn't believe what we were seeing. It just didn't make sense relative to what high regard we held these guys in.
Yes... agreed on the electric sets. Also, I really wish they would have presented a compilation of 2-3 discs of acoustic set material from 2014&15. That would be really cool to have.
__________________
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #18
Carter41
dislikes ATVs at the moment
 
Carter41's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
2014 and 2015 prove this is not really true. They certainly can do this, but that says nothing about whether they will reach the full potential of the format in regard to setlists, etc.
1991 to 2008 also prove it's not true. I suppose I could have clarified that I don't think the band currently has the discipline.
__________________
Matt
Carter41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #19
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, California
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter41 View Post
1991 to 2008 also prove it's not true. I suppose I could have clarified that I don't think the band currently has the discipline.
ha. i still think of 2014 and 2015 as relatively current. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the band could reprise some of that hybrid format - the issue still remains whether they would make the most of it in terms of setlists.
__________________
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
SeekUpAB
 
SeekUpAB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,671
Add Jeff and a violinist and you’d really have something.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
this isn't #dMbFaMiLy level shit. there's a whole spectrum of middle ground in between family and SeekUpAB
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.06128 seconds with 21 queries