These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Dave, Stefan, Carter and Tim should go on a tour together

This shouldn't create much heartache with the whole band because technically they're the original heart of the group - and you all know that Tim has been involved since the beginning. Jeff could go hang with the Tones for a season and Ross could get some much needed time away from shrill noises.

Stripped down theater tour, Carter on a very small kit, Tim on acoustic, and have guests come sit in here and there on acoustic instruments.

The could call it the Roots tour or some shit and it would be neat.
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
patsfan39

They tried this, they called it the Acoustic / Electric sets in 2014 & 2015.

The beginning of 2014 there were a handful of different members on stage during the first month, but of course dmb got complacent. By 2015, the acoustic set sounded almost identical to the electric set when it wasnt just dave solo playing a song. By the end, i feel like dave played 3 solo songs, the band played 3 songs 'acoustic' then they played a shorter full set afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
They tried this, they called it the Acoustic / Electric sets in 2014 & 2015.

The beginning of 2014 there were a handful of different members on stage during the first month, but of course dmb got complacent. By 2015, the acoustic set sounded almost identical to the electric set when it wasnt just dave solo playing a song. By the end, i feel like dave played 3 solo songs, the band played 3 songs 'acoustic' then they played a shorter full set afterwards.
It was one of the bigger letdowns in the live environment in my opinion. It didn't help that management was marketing it as "who would you love to see guest with the band" making it seem like it was going to be an acoustic set with friends.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

I'm well of the failed "two sets" experiment. One of the reasons it failed was because it was in a big energy-soaked venue. They didn't know how to really tone it down in that scenario and I understand because of the radiant energy. Make em sit down in a theater and make the setting dictate the vibe.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
ThememanXX

A "stripped down" tour playing theaters would be incredible. That said, who knows when live shows will even get going again.....so for now, I wish they'd be able to get together and stream one 'social distanced' live show a month or something like that.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
zaphod!

i may be in the minority here, but i don't see the acoustic sets as a failure? i really liked them and i wish they'd do it again with buddy on piano
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
i may be in the minority here, but i don't see the acoustic sets as a failure? i really liked them and i wish they'd do it again with buddy on piano
Ohh that's a good one!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
A "stripped down" tour playing theaters would be incredible. That said, who knows when live shows will even get going again.....so for now, I wish they'd be able to get together and stream one 'social distanced' live show a month or something like that.
Oh yeah this may not even be reasonable because 2020
Old 08-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Dave, Stefan, Carter and Tim should go on a tour together

Personally, I would love a Dave, Tim, Bela, and Stefan theater tour. One can dream though.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
Not only were they not a failure, they were the highlight of dmb fandom over the last decade.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:16 AM   #11
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
This shouldn't create much heartache with the whole band because technically they're the original heart of the group - and you all know that Tim has been involved since the beginning. Jeff could go hang with the Tones for a season and Ross could get some much needed time away from shrill noises.

Stripped down theater tour, Carter on a very small kit, Tim on acoustic, and have guests come sit in here and there on acoustic instruments.

The could call it the Roots tour or some shit and it would be neat.
Yes. I am absolutely for this. There was that recently from one of the acoustic sets that someone posted that demonstrated how great that could be.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Koko the Monkey
Got Q?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I've been thinking, if they did a PPV live show what the max I would be willing to pay for the stream.
Koko the Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Not only were they not a failure, they were the highlight of dmb fandom over the last decade.
Agree with this. The only problem was the generic electric set that accompanied it. The acoustic sets were a supremely welcomed treat (Boyd dropping his bow in broad daylight at 730pm aside). I was there for those drops and wow, was that the end of the end of DMB as we knew them. Roi passing was clearly the end, but a "professional" musician dropping his instrument was it in my books. My buddies and I couldn't believe what we were seeing. It just didn't make sense relative to what high regard we held these guys in.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Carter41
dislikes ATVs at the moment

I don't think the band has the discipline to abandon the louder/faster crutch that they've created. We either get the band where songs Grey Street are played at 2x speed, where Carter can't stop riding the hell out of his left side China cymbal coupled with his incessant use of his double bass pedal, where Rashawn sounds like a cat being brutally murdered, and where Tim is shredding like a cheesy 80s hair band guitarist, or we get Dave and Tim. I'm not sure there's the ability, let alone room, for anything else.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
jsandr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter41 View Post
I don't think the band has the discipline to abandon the louder/faster crutch that they've created. We either get the band where songs Grey Street are played at 2x speed, where Carter can't stop riding the hell out of his left side China cymbal coupled with his incessant use of his double bass pedal, where Rashawn sounds like a cat being brutally murdered, and where Tim is shredding like a cheesy 80s hair band guitarist, or we get Dave and Tim. I'm not sure there's the ability, let alone room, for anything else.
2014 and 2015 prove this is not really true. They certainly can do this, but that says nothing about whether they will reach the full potential of the format in regard to setlists, etc.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #16
jsandr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Personally, I would love a Dave, Tim, Bela, and Stefan theater tour. One can dream though.
That would be incredibly cool.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
jsandr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Agree with this. The only problem was the generic electric set that accompanied it. The acoustic sets were a supremely welcomed treat (Boyd dropping his bow in broad daylight at 730pm aside). I was there for those drops and wow, was that the end of the end of DMB as we knew them. Roi passing was clearly the end, but a "professional" musician dropping his instrument was it in my books. My buddies and I couldn't believe what we were seeing. It just didn't make sense relative to what high regard we held these guys in.
Yes... agreed on the electric sets. Also, I really wish they would have presented a compilation of 2-3 discs of acoustic set material from 2014&15. That would be really cool to have.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #18
Carter41
dislikes ATVs at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
2014 and 2015 prove this is not really true. They certainly can do this, but that says nothing about whether they will reach the full potential of the format in regard to setlists, etc.
1991 to 2008 also prove it's not true. I suppose I could have clarified that I don't think the band currently has the discipline.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #19
jsandr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter41 View Post
1991 to 2008 also prove it's not true. I suppose I could have clarified that I don't think the band currently has the discipline.
ha. i still think of 2014 and 2015 as relatively current. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the band could reprise some of that hybrid format - the issue still remains whether they would make the most of it in terms of setlists.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
SeekUpAB

Add Jeff and a violinist and you’d really have something.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc