These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #6561
drh424s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Lol.

Go ahead and try to Google that journal that no one has ever heard of. The first two auto fills on Google are "frontiers in public health predatory" and frontiers in public health publication fee".

Its the "who's who in American high schools" of journals.

From wikipedia
The National Publication Committee of Norway has assigned Frontiers Media an institutional-level rating of "level 0" in the [Only registered users can see links.] since 2018, indicating that the publisher is "not academic".[Only registered users can see links.]
I can’t wait to hear the study’s flaws then, as told by Mario 😂

And now do nature, one of the more original leftish lockdown magazines out there saying it as well 🤣

Dang, another winner
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #6562
mario

I'm not reading your bullshit study which, if anyone even acknowledges it, will be debunked shortly. No doubt we'll learn it's from more "scientists" who claim ghosts exist and the devil stole their dog or such nonsense.

We're also not going to debate whether water is wet or whether the earth revolves around the sun.

Crawl back into your hole of rooting for treason and let the adults talk about serious issues.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #6563
Josh.0

If there’s legitimately no evidence of asymptomatic spread, that changes everything.
tolerance noun (ACCEPTANCE)
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #6564
zaphod!

wasn't there a study that found that the reason it spread so much in italy was due to asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people spreading it?

i'd be pretty cautious of jumping on this bandwagon so quickly.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #6565
jeff1818

Quote:
If there’s legitimately no evidence of asymptomatic spread, that changes everything.
Well, how many people are infected daily (of the 200K) from someone feeling sick or exhibiting 1 symptom? I always thought the vast majority of cases are due to asymptomatic people.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #6566
Josh.0

Yeah, I agree with you both. I thought the same, and I’d be pretty shocked to see confirmation from multiple studies suggesting asymptomatic spread doesn’t appear to be common. I don’t know where the science - collectively - is on that, but I found that note interesting from drh.

If true, managing this pandemic would literally boil down to “if you’re sick at all stay TF home.”
willingness to accept behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #6567
jeff1818

If a person is vaccinated against COVID-19, will they still be able to spread the virus to susceptible people?

If an individual is vaccinated and they are protected from infection, they will not transmit the virus to someone else. But, it is expected that COVID-19 vaccines may protect against severe infection, but not necessarily prevent mild or asymptomatic infection. If this is the case, a vaccinated person could still spread the virus if they are infected. This is why it is expected that even after a vaccine becomes available, people will need to use masks and practice social distancing measures for some time.
[Only registered users can see links.]

I was reading this page and found the above intriguing. If the vaccine protects against severe infection, would I be able to still register as a positive case (since per the article I could transmit to others). Sounds like the vaccine is not a true "goalie" but one that blocks the really bad stuff. But some will get through and could be passed on to others. I guess the question is: Will case #s go down with the vaccine?
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:44 PM   #6568
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
If a person is vaccinated against COVID-19, will they still be able to spread the virus to susceptible people?

If an individual is vaccinated and they are protected from infection, they will not transmit the virus to someone else. But, it is expected that COVID-19 vaccines may protect against severe infection, but not necessarily prevent mild or asymptomatic infection. If this is the case, a vaccinated person could still spread the virus if they are infected. This is why it is expected that even after a vaccine becomes available, people will need to use masks and practice social distancing measures for some time.

I was reading this page and found the above intriguing. If the vaccine protects against severe infection, would I be able to still register as a positive case (since per the article I could transmit to others). Sounds like the vaccine is not a true "goalie" but one that blocks the really bad stuff. But some will get through and could be passed on to others. I guess the question is: Will case #s go down with the vaccine?
Well, if that is true, and it is a big IF, we wouldn’t know. It’s the same thing this year where we are seeing a massive spike in rhino virus. Are more people actually getting the cold, or are more people just scared as shit about rona and instead of just saying, “I have a cold, whatever.” they are going to the Dr to make sure they don’t have covid? Clearly the latter. Once people have vaccines, they aren’t going to get a test if they feel a little off.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #6569
DIDO36

At some point we have to have some personal responsibility. Life has to go on once the tools are ready (meaning the vaccine being pretty widely available). Want to be protected from covid 19 well take the vaccine. We can’t continue on years and years down the road with social distancing, and shutdowns.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #6570
gweeps
homesick android

I don't think this pandemic will last beyond next year. Not for the West anyway.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #6571
Dubs

Old 11-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #6572
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
The WHO also reported this but retracted it a day after. Very interesting
Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #6573
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
Asymptomatic is the main driver of spread. That’s why Brian Kemp of GA finally in enacted restrictions back when things first got bad. There’s too many cases not to have asymptotic spread.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #6574
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
This was the first thing I thought of after reading that yesterday.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #6575
mario

But the short shelf life of Pfizer’s shotsand uncertainty over how to get themto enough health care workers, frail seniors and other priority patients once vials with vaccines are taken out of cold storage and cracked open could mean thousands of doses go to waste.[...]

Pharmacies set to administer many of the shots are worriedabout waste, and cash-strapped state and local health departments say they need more money and direction from the federal government. The federal health department says states have what they need and that the government will backstop any shortages that occur.[...]

Most of the concern stems from the requirements for the Covid-19 vaccine that Pfizer on Friday submitted for FDA review. It must be kept in ultra-cold conditions and will be shipped in specially designed pizza-shaped boxes that hold a minimum of 975 doses in 195 glass vials.

Once a vial is thawed and diluted to make five shots [...] within six hours, the vaccine spoils...[...]

But Paul Offit, a vaccine researcher at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and a member of the expert panel advising the FDA on Covid-19 vaccines, told reporters Friday that he is “very concerned” about the potential for doses of Pfizer’s vaccine going to waste if it is authorized.
“This is going to be very hard, I think there’s going to be a steep learning curve here,” Offit said. “I think there is going to be a lot of waste, and I think we are going to figure this out over time. There is going to be a lot of stumbling. ... You’ve got six hours once reconstituted, that’s unprecedented.”[...]

The varying plans underscore the concerns public health experts have long raised about the hands-off approach the Trump administration has maintained throughout the pandemic. That has held true even for the final leg of the vaccine race, which the president has made the centerpiece of his coronavirus response.
“There’s an enormous leadership vacuum,” said Georges Benjamin, the executive director of the American Public Health Association.

I really didn’t want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I don’t feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu that’s not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that they’re fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which they’re supposed to be keeping as clean and “uncompromised” as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #6576
zaphod!

Covid-19: Sweden's herd immunity strategy has failed, hospitals inundated

There were 6000 cases in a single day last week and hospitalisations are rising faster than anywhere else in Europe.

The death toll is following predictably behind. The Washington Post reports that Sweden's per capita death rate is several times higher than in Finland, Denmark and Norway – all of which locked down early.

It is believed roughly one-in-five people in Stockholm are infected.

With numbers exploding, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven has been forced to swallow his pride and admit that he got it wrong.

And with that, Sweden's experiment was officially crushed

Spoiler:
oops
Old 11-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #6577
gweeps
homesick android

It wasn't an experiment, it was recklessness and foolishness.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #6578
Josh.0

Z’s a funny guy.

One second, when Sweden’s cases are low, he’s holding my feet to the fire repeating over and over that I can’t discuss Sweden for another year, year and a half, as we agreed.

Then he finds an article that supports his point and posts it with little context and without telling the whole story as of what’s going on right now, in late November, in other countries around the world. Given his professional expertise, he certainly knows this and deliberately presents only half of the truth.

Google: “Norway covid cases,” “Denmark covid cases, “Finland covid cases,” etc. see what the cases look like in the last couple weeks. Now consider that right now’s a great time for small island countries with practical lockdown “ability,” countries like, say, New Zealand to dunk on Sweden...just before deaths start exploding in those three countries. It’s really irresponsible journalism taking advantage of the current story and ignoring the holistic one.

Sweden is seeing a second wave, but if it ends up being way smaller than those countries’ second wave, you effectively end up with a wash in cases/deaths. That’s why we need to wait until we are past the pandemic to fully understand what happened.

Also, for the 1,000th time, it’s so odd to compare Sweden to much lower populated countries. It’s like comparing Mass to Vermont. There’s always the deliberate avoidance to compare it other other like-sized countries (with similar population density) because when you do Sweden looks “middle of the pack” in the terms of their response.

Denmark, and Copenhagen, is the closest comparison, and it’s also exploding with cases right now. We don’t know if over the next 2-3 months (or however long until mass vaccination) a place like that ends up with 2-3x the deaths of Sweden because of lower upfront infection rates (last spring).

These tit for tats on Sweden are exhausting. We need to wait, as we agreed. That’s not kicking the can down the road, it’s literally the only way to come to decisive conclusions. You can’t do that right in the middle of the largest spikes happening worldwide.

I’m not saying Sweden got it all right, but in the end, what people are going to find is that their response and the response of most other European countries will come out as effectively a “wash.”
Old 11-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #6579
zaphod!

Quote:
Z’s a funny guy.
i stopped reading here. i'm guessing the rest is just josh expounding on that praise.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #6580
Josh.0

I thought you would.

(But we all know you didn’t)

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc