These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #3081
somf4eva

I discovered Reuben and Cherise today. damn that song is amazing.

the pop from the crowd when Jerry starts singing on 3/17/91 gives me chills. wow
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #3082
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Thanks for bringing up Ď87. Listened to that MSG show last night, on to DP36 this morning. Very much enjoying this. I have always enjoyed 80ís dead more in theory. Then Iíll actually start listening and Brent will be so overpowering Iíll just drop back into the 70ís.
Yeah agreed. 80s is super keys heavy and the drum >space segment is almost unbearable to me in those years for that reason. Also more cover than I like to see in sets. I pretty much never listen to any 80s dead anymore except a few '87 shows from time to time. For me it's all about 70-74, and I never get enough of that era. The band was more energetic and they didn't prolong or meander around on stuff as long as they did in the late 70s-80s era.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #3083
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

What shows with Branford have official releases? Just Wake Up To Find out and the 91 MSG from 30 Trips?

Also, when THE FUCK do we get the newest edition of Mitch Picks?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:54 AM   #3084
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah agreed. 80s is super keys heavy and the drum >space segment is almost unbearable to me in those years for that reason. Also more cover than I like to see in sets. I pretty much never listen to any 80s dead anymore except a few '87 shows from time to time. For me it's all about 70-74, and I never get enough of that era. The band was more energetic and they didn't prolong or meander around on stuff as long as they did in the late 70s-80s era.
I love late 80s Dead, and I love drums and space from that era. Iím not going to pretend Iím going to sit down and listen to a late 80s drums and space on its own, but if I listen to a full show itís super fun. Like Itís just totally wild, and out of the wildness jerry starts making some sense. All of a sudden you get a little hint of something more and more coherent. When it went into Stella Blue it was the best. The madness into something totally beautiful like that always gives me chills.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #3085
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
I love late 80s Dead, and I love drums and space from that era. Iím not going to pretend Iím going to sit down and listen to a late 80s drums and space on its own, but if I listen to a full show itís super fun. Like Itís just totally wild, and out of the wildness jerry starts making some sense. All of a sudden you get a little hint of something more and more coherent. When it went into Stella Blue it was the best. The madness into something totally beautiful like that always gives me chills.
Im only 31 years old, so I didnít grow up or get to ever see the band with Jerry. I do think a lot of the sentiment around late 80s dead on here is because itís an age group that saw shows in that time period and reflect on that positive nostalgia. Iím almost like a unbiased listener, simply because I have no personal experiences that might influence how I feel about an era. I know with DMB that has a huge effect on why Iím so keen on the 2000-2004 DMb, because thatís when I really started getting into them hardcore. So Iíll always love Ď02-Ď03 as that was my peak fandom.

That being said, tons of great shows in the 80s, no doubt. And even some in the 90s too. But if someone put a gun to my head and said you have to pick 3-4 years to listen to forever, Iím going with 70-74, personally.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #3086
DIDO36

Quote:
Im only 31 years old, so I didn’t grow up or get to ever see the band with Jerry. I do think a lot of the sentiment around late 80s dead on here is because it’s an age group that saw shows in that time period and reflect on that positive nostalgia. I’m almost like a unbiased listener, simply because I have no personal experiences that might influence how I feel about an era. I know with DMB that has a huge effect on why I’m so keen on the 2000-2004 DMb, because that’s when I really started getting into them hardcore. So I’ll always love ‘02-‘03 as that was my peak fandom.

That being said, tons of great shows in the 80s, no doubt. And even some in the 90s too. But if someone put a gun to my head and said you have to pick 3-4 years to listen to forever, I’m going with 70-74, personally.
I didn’t mean for that post to come off as if I was actually going to shows at the time. I’m younger than you are. I was just trying to describe my listening experience. I tend to gravitate toward late 70s and late 80s/early 90s time period. 70-74 is good too, I just like a little more variety in the sets.

God I wish I was at some of those 80s and early 90s shows!
Old 11-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #3087
DIDO36

I can get in the mood for any time period at the end of the day. At some point last year, I was watching these early 80s shows were Jerry was totally messed up. It was a really interesting listen. Like his body was there, but his mind wasn’t. It makes for a totally dark mood, but not a bad listen IMO.

Edit: I can’t remember the dates of the shows, but I’m pretty sure the videos were posted here at some point. It was a New Years run between 80-83 where jerry just looked really messed up.

Last edited by DIDO36; 11-19-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #3088
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
I discovered Reuben and Cherise today. damn that song is amazing.

the pop from the crowd when Jerry starts singing on 3/17/91 gives me chills. wow
I was at the Orlando Arena show a couple weeks later when they played it again. I don't think I was aware they had played it a couple weeks earlier (obviously this was pre internet, etc). Kinda like when I saw The Weight in Atlanta '90, and they had played it a couple nights before at Nassau. Great moments.

Quote:
What shows with Branford have official releases? Just Wake Up To Find out and the 91 MSG from 30 Trips?

Also, when THE FUCK do we get the newest edition of Mitch Picks?
I think those are the only official releases. But, generally, don't confine yourself to official releases. And even with them, there's better versions of the Dick's Picks etc shows out there now, better than the officials.

Ha, that was a Spotify-specific thing for someone, IIRC. I can think of something else to do. For starters, all should listen to [Only registered users can see links.] .

Quote:
But if someone put a gun to my head and said you have to pick 3-4 years to listen to forever, Iím going with 70-74, personally.
Great era, for sure, that I listen to a lot. Only problem with that is that you'd never again hear a Help>Slip>Frank, a Scarlet>Fire, a Terrapin, etc.

One of the great things about seeing shows in the late 80's-early 90's is that almost everything was on the table.

Quote:
God I wish I was at some of those 80s and early 90s shows!
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #3089
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Can you name some of the better than Dick's Picks versions of shows?

Old 11-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #3090
Mersh

I may have mentioned this is here before but the prices some people are asking for some of the DPs are crazy. Do they actually sell for those prices? If so I have them and would be willing to part with them.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #3091
Mitch

Quote:
Can you name some of the better than Dick's Picks versions of shows?
Yes, but it will be a long list. I'll give a couple examples, but all the Dick's Picks were completely raw SBD's slapped on disc, many of them with the pitch, speed, etc. incorrect. This applies to Road Trips releases and even some Dave's Picks (for instance, the latest one from Hartford '87 is the same UltraMatrix SBD source that Charlie Miller has out there for free in 96/24.) The only thing you can count on Dead Corp. giving you better than you can find freely available are multitrack releases (and the packaging if you're into physical media).

Generally if you look at a place like lossless legs or bt.etree.org you will find Charlie Miller versions that came out after the Dick's Picks releases, using the same masters. 2 examples are Vols 2 and 3 of DiP- 10/31/71 and 5/22/77, the CM's have at least marginally better sound and are the complete shows, which the DiP are, not. Same with 2/13/ and 2/14/70, etc. etc.. Jay Ashley/Bertha has a much better full-show SBD than the 9/20/90 Road Trips. Long list. Lots of sources. And if you like matrixes, there are some of those that may be a better listen than the DiP. If you have any specific show/source questions, let me know.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #3092
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Thank you sir!

I am embarrassed to admit I never knew the dead played R&C! It looks like it was only 4 times. Not sure how that escaped me as I specifically remember searching after first hearing it when my buddy learned to playing it in college. The internet seems to say you heard the best version in Orlando. What is the best GD r&c source?

Old 11-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #3093
Mersh

I was just listening to that Harpur College DP earlier today.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:00 AM   #3094
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I was just listening to that Harpur College DP earlier today.
I absolutely love this one. So cool to have that acoustic first set and then a wild sick second set. That other one is something else.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:04 AM   #3095
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I was at the Orlando Arena show a couple weeks later when they played it again. I don't think I was aware they had played it a couple weeks earlier (obviously this was pre internet, etc). Kinda like when I saw The Weight in Atlanta '90, and they had played it a couple nights before at Nassau. Great moments.

Great era, for sure, that I listen to a lot. Only problem with that is that you'd never again hear a Help>Slip>Frank, a Scarlet>Fire, a Terrapin, etc.

One of the great things about seeing shows in the late 80's-early 90's is that almost everything was on the table.

Thatís a really good point. Definitley some amazing songs that didn't show up until the late 70s and beyond for sure. As Iíve said before in the thread, it comes down to me preferring one drummer over two for the most part, and I just think there was a more focused lucidity to the playing earlier on, where as the later years can get a little too ďout thereĒ in ways I didnít like. I would never just listen to one era ever, too much good stuff to do that.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:28 AM   #3096
DIDO36

Quote:
Thank you sir!

I am embarrassed to admit I never knew the dead played R&C! It looks like it was only 4 times. Not sure how that escaped me as I specifically remember searching after first hearing it when my buddy learned to playing it in college. The internet seems to say you heard the best version in Orlando. What is the best GD r&c source?
Grateful Deadís YouTubeís channel has one uploaded from 1991 [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 11-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #3097
somf4eva

Quote:
Grateful Deadís YouTubeís channel has one uploaded from 1991 [Only registered users can see links.]
fourth and final version. thanks for posting this
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #3098
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Does anyone have a mp3 of that R&C?

Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #3099
Mitch

Quote:
Does anyone have a mp3 of that R&C?
You want a full FLAC source of the whole show from Orlando '91 with it? I have a SBD, and Hunter Seamons just did a matrix recently that I downloaded but haven't listened yet. Lmk.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #3100
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I may have mentioned this is here before but the prices some people are asking for some of the DPs are crazy. Do they actually sell for those prices? If so I have them and would be willing to part with them.
It is nuts what people will pay. I say certainly sell them if you can! I just don't see any reason to keep them unless you're a completist collector of physical media.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc