These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #1101
celluloid hero

Topping this for everyone listening to shows these days. Don't feel the pressure of the long review, just to remind everyone the required minimum:

1.) rating out of 5 stars at 1/4 star intervals
2.) Live Trax desire
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #1102
celluloid hero

August 8, 1998 - Deer Creek Music Center - Noblesville, IN

Two Step
Don't Drink the Water
Lie in Our Graves
Satellite
Stay (Wasting Time)
Jimi Thing
LeRoi solo
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Crush
Say Goodbye
The Last Stop
Anyone Seen the Bridge
Too Much
Crash into Me
Drive In Drive Out
Tripping Billies
-----------------------------------
Pay for What You Get
All Along the Watchtower

Solid show, unspectacular.

Good Two Step opener with great improv in the outro and in the outro. Don't Drink is still bouncy. Stefan has an effect on that I think is best left in 1998. Classic 4 song early Summer run with Graves, Satellite, Stay and Jimi. Nothing stood out too much on it.

Great midset run. The Rapunzel is fantastic. Dave hits all the notes and Carter drives it. I love Summer 98 Say Goodbyes, and Last Stop despite Boyd going all Boyd in the end, they started to figure the outro jam out.

Honestly the rest of set is a bit run of the mill. Always a bit surprised when Pay For What You Get starts, and Stefan's solo for Watchtower was great.

Tape was pretty good. Didn't even need a period for the ears to adjust to it.

Rating: ***
Live Trax desire: Eh. There are so many great shows from this tour, I feel like this is a super middle-of-the-road pick. I'd take it.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #1103
sean52692
You failed this band

Roi plays something at the beginning of that 8/8/98 Say Goodbye for the first 20 seconds that sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on what it could be. Two Step and Say Bye are my two favorites from that show. And PFWYG E1 is simply perfect setlist writing.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #1104
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

That setlist looks delicious. I will have to check out this show for sure.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #1105
celluloid hero

Two this week:

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds

February 2, 1997
Scranton Cultural Center at the Masonic Temple, Scranton, PA

Spoiler:
One Sweet World
Lie in Our Graves
Granny
The Song That Jane Likes
Cryptorchid
Dancing Nancies
Captain
Say Goodbye
Help Myself
Let You Down
Proudest Monkey
Satellite
Too Much
So Much to Say
Stream
Two Step
Jimi Thing
What Will Become of Me
I'll Back You Up
Tripping Billies
Crash into Me
Recently
Angel from Montgomery
Ants Marching
Christmas Song
Warehouse

First, it's a really good tape. The crowd is what it always is at these, but it's pretty balanced with the music. I listened at a reasonable volume and never had to turn the volume down. I listen to 1.30.97 a bit, the LT, and the late tour shows a lot, but never hit the other shows from the tour. They all feel like good listens, but I don't really know if there's anything that stands so much from a show like this. Just a really good couple hours of listening.

You guys are so good at the song by song breakdown, but here are some notes I jotted down while listening. First time Cryptorchid was played (only 5 times total), which was always only the back half of a short song. Led to discussion of whether we should list it as "partial" on the almanac.

Excellent version of Captain. During Dave's intro to Jimi that became Angel, he has a few lyrics which I'm sure he's done before but I don't remember that goes right into the Jimi riff, pretty cool. Another thing probably done a lot that we don't have listed was Tim overlaying a few bars of Mars, Bringer of War into Stream. Droning intro to Christmas Song closer was pretty cool. Warehouse was a solid one-song encore, but it wasn't fair having just listened to 1.30.97's Warehouse.

Show Rating: ****
Live Trax desire: Won't ever say that I'd be mad at a 4-star show, but split the uprights of shows I'd want from this tour. Either super early with some jams from January, or super late with some of the best DMB-related shows ever. Seems the type of show to be happy with just having a really good AUD.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #1106
celluloid hero

February 6, 1997
Julian A. Burruss Hall, Blacksburg, VA

Spoiler:
Lie in Our Graves
Dancing Nancies
Danny Boy
Granny
Captain
Recently
Let You Down
The Song That Jane Likes
Two Step
Say Goodbye
Jimi Thing
What Will Become of Me
Cryptorchid
So Much to Say
Crash into Me
One Sweet World
Too Much
Proudest Monkey
Satellite
Little Thing
Stream
Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago
Minarets
Dreamed I Killed God [tease]
Typical Situation
Tripping Billies
I'll Back You Up
Ants Marching
Warehouse

One of the OG Dave & Tim shows. We had this one before the SBDs spread, and was the best Dave & Tim audience tape until the KY shows in February 1999. As a show, it's similar to 2.2.97 that I had listened to. It didn't stand out as the classic like I thought it would. The tape mixed with availability, mixed with it being the easiest place to fine quality recordings of songs like Let You Down, Cryptorchid, Little Thing, and Is Chicago has this as more of a classic in memory than it listens. But like Scranton, it is just a great listen on a Saturday afternoon.

A much worse crowd than I remember. Dave & Tim are both clear in the recording, but individual screams are prominent in the tape, and as long as everyone is quiet, it's as good a tape as I remember it.

Songs specific to Scranton: Help Myself, Angel From Montgomery, Christmas Song
Songs specific to Blacksburg: Little Thing, Is Chicago, Minarets > Dreamed I Killed God (tease jam - had not debuted yet) > Typical Situation

Show Rating: ****
Live Trax desire: Won't ever say that I'd be mad at a 4-star show, but split the uprights of shows I'd want from this tour. Either super early with some jams from January, or super late with some of the best DMB-related shows ever. Seems the type of show to be happy with just having a great AUD.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #1107
celluloid hero

January 14, 1997
Elliot Hall of Music, West Lafayette, IN

Spoiler:
Jimi Thing
What Will Become of Me
So Much to Say
Typical Situation
Lie in Our Graves
Crash into Me
Minarets
Granny
Little Thing
Improv/Jam
Pay for What You Get
Dancing Nancies
Proudest Monkey
Satellite
Improv/Jam
Let You Down
Stream
Say Goodbye
Too Much
I'll Back You Up
Recently
Two Step
Ants Marching
Tripping Billies
Warehouse

Quicker review for this one. Again really surprised by the recording, it is excellent. The crowd started really good, but gets rowdier as the show goes on. Still better than most D+T crowds. One time at the very end the crowd brickwalled on the tape.

I think it's an interesting show as it's the tour opener. Some songs are a little different, Tim's playing is different on songs like Minarets. There's nothing on here that is special and there aren't particularly interesting D+T rarities. There are two improv jams, neither are that interesting, just a couple of one-minute ditties.

Songs specific to Purdue from the other two I listened to this week: none

Show Rating: *** 1/2
Live Trax desire: Minimal. It's interesting and I'd bet not many have heard it and as always, a nice near three hours of listening, but not near the top of my list from the tour. The AUD is perfectly fine.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #1108
sean52692
You failed this band

Dave Matthews Band
May 2, 2002
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Selma, TX

Spoiler:
Don't Drink the Water
So Much to Say
Granny
I Did It
You Never Know
Crush
Drive In Drive Out
Grace Is Gone
What You Are
One Sweet World
Fool to Think
The Space Between
Pig
Grey Street
Where Are You Going
Ants Marching
Long Black Veil
All Along the Watchtower

Pretty par for the course for a Spring 2002 show, which isn't a bad thing. Felt like YNK had a couple of flubs, but a YNK, DIDO, and Crush run can't ever be a bad thing.

Around this part of the tour, WYA was starting to have some extra juice to it. Pretty good midset OSW, then a FTT tour debut. Dave played some nice little parts in between songs before FTT on the baritone guitar. My real highlight was this late set Pig - which was quite good. Double cover encore with LBV (a nice enough Dave solo version) and then an enjoyable Watchtower (solid Fonz intro). Pretty standard fare for Spring 2002.

Show Rating: **3/4
Live Trax Desire: None. The aud was good enough for me to enjoy and the performances don't warrant the full show release treatment.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #1109
celluloid hero

Dave Matthews Band
Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge
August 22 & 23, 1998 - Bristow, VA

Spoiler:
August 22
Seek Up
Heartbeat Intro
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Don't Drink the Water
Lie in Our Graves
The Stone *
Jimi Thing *^
#41 +
Stay (Wasting Time) +
Warehouse *+
Crash into Me
Recently
Anyone Seen the Bridge
Too Much
Tripping Billies
Pig
Stir It Up [partial]
All Along the Watchtower

August 23
Two Step
Don't Drink the Water
Satellite
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel *
Crush *^
Drive In Drive Out *
Jimi Thing *^
Warehouse *+
Stay (Wasting Time) *+
Say Goodbye *
The Last Stop *
So Much to Say
Anyone Seen the Bridge
Too Much
All Along the Watchtower
Ants Marching

* - with Bill Summers on percussion
^ - with Bennie Maupin on saxophone
+ - with Herbie Hancock on keys

italics - exclusive to that night

A couple of smokin' shows from the week that hopefully is becoming less underrated. Tackling these together, and recapping isn't my strong point. Night 1's tape is a solid B. Might take a song or two for your ears to adjust, but it's plenty fine. Night 2 tape is much better, though it's a windy night, so there might be a little pressure, or speaker shift here and there, solid A-, one of the better tapes of the tour.

Night 1 - Some nice nuggets thrown in surrounding some of the more common songs, and the guest spots are really good. A really nice and gloomy Seek Up opens and the encore is a big highlight with 1 of only 3 Pigs on the Summer Tour as E1 (the last until its 4.4.02 return), followed by Stefan Watchtower intro that leads into a pretty long Stir It Up section with vocals and the standard Watchtower scorcher.

Show Rating: **** 1/4
Live Trax Desire: give me a bonus disc of Seek Up, #41, Graves, The Stone, and the encore.

Night 2 - Jeez. This is an all-time great DMB show. Every song from the opening Two Step through Ants encore is played at the next level. Every one. Rapunzel, Satellite, Drive, Say Bye, name it. Bill Summers is great guesting on half of the set. Just when you hit that point in the show where they usually start to "get their shit in" before encore, they hit you with Say Bye and Last Stop. Watchtower repeat as a closer is totally fine. Direct intro and Dave is the highlight peaking the show perfectly with his "wind begins to HOWL!" It even feels like the right way to finish the stand is just a banger Ants single song encore.

Show Rating: *****
Live Trax Desire: straight fire

Download Links:
Night 1: [Only registered users can see links.]
Night 2: [Only registered users can see links.]
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #1110
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
August 23, 1998
Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge- Bristow, Virginia

Spoiler:

Two Step
Don't Drink the Water
Satellite
Pantala Naga Pampa *
Rapunzel *
Crush *^
Drive In Drive Out *
Jimi Thing *^
Warehouse *$
Stay (Wasting Time) *$
Say Goodbye *
The Last Stop *
So Much to Say
Anyone Seen the Bridge
Too Much
All Along the Watchtower
==========
Ants Marching

* - with Bill Summers on percussion
^ - with Bennie Maupin on saxophone
$ - with Herbie Hancock on keys

First off, the source is mk4. I don't remember actually having a decent sounding version of this. I was downloading it to sort of fill the catalog and listened to a sample. It's a really solid source for Summer '98. The bass is really high, but easily adjusted in EQ. A couple of soft muffled spots maybe 5 or 10 seconds long.

Nothing here is below average. There's a lot about Summer '98 that was the same, and a lot of it is here, too. The guest spots help in some spots. I didn't notice Bill Summers on Rapunzel, but I he's listed as being on it and I was more waiting for the standard lyric flub, which almost never happened. His best stuff is on Say Goodbye ([Only registered users can see links.] ) which was establishing itself as a concert show piece for the next 12 months. The duet is fairly cool and Roi was top notch in the intro all year. In other spots he was just jamming in the background including some wacky percussion roll during the first dead stop in The Last Stop. He sounded like he knew Drive In Drive Out at least. Bennie Maupin had a few nice solos in Crush and Jimi. Herbie plays on a few songs, Warehouse was awesome ([Only registered users can see links.] ). After three straight shows, they don't play #41 in this stretch. Interesting that there was no Heartbeat intro and no Stefan solo before Watchtower.

Official Release Desire: I do think one of these shows from this run should come out. But I think that it would probably be better to take Atlanta or Charlotte first. Still, if they did it, I'd be happy. It's a unique handful of shows. All in all this was fairly good listen. *** 1/2

Bonus Track - #41 (1998-08-22) ([Only registered users can see links.] )
I must have been in a terrible mood this day.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #1111
batleon

batleon is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc