Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #1041
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Yea, we "give" rings to them. Come on
Oh please, that's a ridiculous statement and you know it. Find that white suit and we'll talk. Weren't we just talking about him using illegal substances too? Shall we go on to talk about giving rings to cheaters too?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #1042
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!

Also, Goodell is a moron. Gotta love that the players of the game he runs are afraid of its own safety, even saying the game will be no more within 30-40 years, then he comes out and says it's completely safe. I get he's trying to protect the game, but just don't say anything rather than saying that. Or maybe 'we're doing our best to minimize the injury risk'.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #1043
K270
Kan Pai

K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #1044
Mountain Dew
Cocaine and Vodka

RAVENS
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #1045
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Ok, best commercials...

Here are my picks:

drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1046
FiddySpence
TDCya

Go Daddy? really drummer? really?
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #1047
K270
Kan Pai

Most of the Super Bowl commercials suck. The only one I liked was:

K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #1048
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Most of the Super Bowl commercials suck. The only one I liked was:

Random Fact:

Did you know that the Cheetah can go from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and then run at the speed for 200 plus yards? They then have to rest for at least 15 minutes after that. Learned that in a National Geographic this past weekend.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1049
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I thought this one was pretty great too.

Last edited by ggies; 02-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #1050
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
The commercials were all pretty uniformly weak this year. Nothing really stood out as good, but a lot of really awful spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #1051
JustinC

this one stood out

look at that still. Diesel holding him up, Rock coming off the top with the clothesline. 1. 2. 3

JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #1052
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
Go Daddy? really drummer? really?
Everything they've done in the past five years has sucked, yes.

This one was a little more original than in the past. Not just two celebrity women who we're supposed to think are hot walking naked being censored by random GoDaddy signs and other stupid shit. This was simple, disgusting and funny all at the same time. It made me laugh... what can I say?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #1053
ethaxton

I personally thought the Go Daddy one was one of the worst of the bunch
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #1054
FiddySpence
TDCya

it was disgusting and stupid.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #1055
drummerkrf

oh well... I lose.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1056
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
I avoided the pregame shows yesterday. This isn't unusual. I never watch pregame shows for the same reason YOU never watch pregame shows. I showed up at my friend's house just as they were getting ready for Alicia Keys to spend eight minutes doing a national anthem/"Fallin'"/Jazz odyssey medley. And that was fine by me. I had avoided JB and Dan and Boomer and Shannon and Coach Cowher (ALWAYS Coach Cowher), and I was happy.

And then the lights went out.

If there was anything good to be had from [Only registered users can see links.] (apart from everyone on Twitter, including me, furiously masturbating out one-liners), it was that it showed the world, in excruciating detail, just how bad networks are at presenting football. It was a naked stretch of time that laid bare just how worthless the majority of studio people and sideline reporters are. [Only registered users can see links.] Last night's blackout was a historic demonstration of vapidity. There was no information. There was no backup plan. The commercial stretches to fill time (drink Bud Goth!) were ENDLESS; it was as if CBS were terrified of letting its studio crew talk again. Everyone at the party I attended screamed for Charles Barkley to show up.
The best that James Brown and Steve Tasker and Solomon Wilcots (whose Twitter handle is [Only registered users can see links.] , which is so perfectly inaccurate) could do was give you vague pronouncements that the game would start again in 15 minutes. No, 20 minutes. NO WAIT! I SEE A BULB IN THE CEILING FLICKERING! COULD BE ANY MINUTE NOW! I felt as if I were on an airplane that had landed and was delayed for 40 minutes on the tarmac before taxiing to the gate. I've had waiters give me better excuses for long delays.

This blackout should serve as the turning point, the moment in history when a network executive finally puts his foot down and says: "Why are we doing this? Why do we spend gobs and gobs of money on ex-players and ex-coaches who can't fucking talk?" What is the point of Dan Marino? Seriously, WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT? If he were fired tomorrow, would you miss him at all? You probably wouldn't even notice him until he knocked up your niece. A decade ago, The New York Times estimated that Marino makes [Only registered users can see links.] from his broadcasting duties. That's $2 million—more than 70 times the median annual wage in America—for nothing.
In fact, it's less than nothing. For $2 million a year, you get Dan Marino clumsily attempting to justify the fact that he makes $2 million a year. There is a phony pomposity to virtually all pregame shows, in which the analysts present their empty opinions as scriptural pronouncements. But deep down, they must know that they're eminently replaceable. They must know that they can and should be fired any second because they offer nothing of value. You can see that insecurity play out on pregame shows week after week in the form of strained laughter and guys going into three-point stances on tiny sections of studio FieldTurf. These are all men who must know they're wasting your time, and must therefore inflate themselves on the air in order to hide that fact. Take it from someone who knows: The more that you suspect you're a fraud, the louder you'll talk.

The entire system needs to be blown up and rethought from scratch. Why is the studio crew there? Do they have any responsibility to the viewer apart from filling time? I need a studio host to present highlights and, frankly, that's about all. That's one guy. He probably doesn't even need a desk. I'm not sure I need studio analysts. If I do, I sure as fuck don't need them ALL to be essentially the same human being. Why is a billion-dollar network hosting the most important game of the year relying on Shannon Sharpe for comic relief? That's insanity. And yet, this is common practice. Swap out CBS's crew for Fox's crew and Fox's crew for ESPN's crew and there's no difference. It's all the same show. They all do things the exact same way because ... well because they've always done it that way. And now they can't stop. Look at this photo taken of ESPN's crew from this weekend:

This is what happens when a network throws away its own brain. Ray Lewis is joining this shapeless blob next season. Will that improve anything? NO. Will anything useful that Ray Lewis might say get washed away in a sea of melodramatic self-aggrandizement? YES. Network executives should print this photo out and draw a big fucking red line through it. We've all tolerated this for far too long. The NFL studio show needs to be remade using the following elements:

• A capable host. Someone who can present news and highlights who is not Terry Bradshaw. In a perfect world, Chris Fowler hosts everything.
• A maximum of one analyst, preferably someone who tells you something you didn't already know. Telling me the Ravens know how to handle adversity is not a fresh insight.
• Naturally funny human beings. (Note: Frank Caliendo does not count among this group.)
• People who aren't there just because they used to play football
• Sleazy gambling people
• NERDY BLOG-NERD stat analysts
• Field pieces not involving fake dead girlfriends
• NFL Films highlights
• Something about cooking
• Beer tastings
• Charles Barkley

Frankly the options are limitless. I can't tell you how depressing it is to see networks with millions of dollars and loads of airtime at their disposal shoveling the same shit at you year after year after year. Even when they get it right, they still try to ruin it (Shaq on TNT). It shouldn't be so hard to create a studio show that feels natural and is pleasant to watch. But for whatever reason, network brass seems more interested in serving as a moose lodge for grinning NFL castoffs than they are in serving you, the viewer. There was one person last night who seemed genuinely aware that there was an audience to please, and that was Beyoncé . Maybe she should host the goddamn thing from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #1057
drummerkrf

^well put.. but it will never change. NBC is the best the NFL has in terms of pregame entertainment, and 95% of that is because of Bob Costas. I've ALWAYS hated the way CBS works their games, I'd take the NFL network over CBS. Everything from their shitty audio, terrible panel, and constant barrage of CBS comedy line-up plugs.

One thing this guy failed to mention... women on the sidelines . The only thing they bring to the table is a pair of lips for a drunk Joe Namath, which will never happen again anyways...

Also, what was with that hideous CBS prop desk? Good lord...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #1058
FiddySpence
TDCya

but if coverage improved what would we make fun of on twitter?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #1059
JustinC

Ferrell did another Milwaukee's Best commercial that aired in only 3 towns

Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #1060
JustinC

and the fucking church of scientology ran an ad? must have missed it. fucking spent $8 million. wonder if the movie stars chipped in or if they got some of the money from regular working people that they have brainwashed

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc