These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #381
ggies
Sugar Will '04

These are the type of robots (467 to be exact) Tesla is setting up in their factory for the Model 3:

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #382
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Elon's new company - The Boring Company - digging tunnels under us so that one day it could work like this:

Old 04-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #383
ggies
Sugar Will '04

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
"We are going to introduce electric vehicles in a very big way. We are going to make electric vehicles self- sufficient like UJALA. The idea is that by 2030, not a single petrol or diesel car should be sold in the country," Power minister Piyush Goyal said while addressing the CII Annual Session 2017.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #384
ggies
Sugar Will '04

If anyone wants to watch this TED talk, here ya go!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #385
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
There can be no greater crime against humanity than the foreseeable, and methodical, destruction of conditions that make human life possible. Hindsight isn’t necessary.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #386
ggies
Sugar Will '04

A nice little article shedding light on the denial side:

Quote:
SL: What was your turning point?

JT: It started in the early 2000s. I was one of the climate skeptics who do battle on TV and I was doing a show with Joe Romm......

So I went back to my office and I re-read Hanson’s testimony. And Joe was correct. So I then I talked to the climate skeptics who had made this argument to me, and it turns out they had done so with full knowledge they were being misleading.
Quote:
SL: How do you feel about the work you did in those years?

JT: I regret a lot of it. I wish I had taken more care and done more due diligence on the arguments I had been forwarding.
Quote:
SL: I frequently hear about Republican lawmakers who don’t believe their own climate denials. Do you know many people who are in that camp?

JT: I have talked to many of them in confidence. There are between 40 and 50 in the House and maybe 10 to 12 in the Senate. They’re all looking for a way out of the denialist penitentiary they’ve been put into by the Tea Party.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #387
Matthew Stafford
TDCya

Anyone have access to this full article?

Matthew Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #388
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stafford View Post
Anyone have access to this full article?

Not sure why you would post such an article - I have posted plenty of resources on why and how our planet is warming. Here is post #262 that discredits this link:

Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #389
Matthew Stafford
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Not sure why you would post such an article - I have posted plenty of resources on why and how our planet is warming. Here is post #262 that discredits this link:

So thats an older video that the link I wanted to read is opposing, right? Which is why I'm trying to see if anyone has access to it. I'm guessing you only want to follow one side of the story?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #390
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
So thats an older video that the link I wanted to read is opposing, right? Which is why I'm trying to see if anyone has access to it. I'm guessing you only want to follow one side of the story?
There is only one side of the story. This is not an opinion thread. From day one, post one I shared factual, statistical data (from Exxon scientists I might add) that shows the Earth's temp has accelerated due to CO2 in the atmosphere and oceans.

It's up to you to read and decided and accept what is happening. I come in here and post (mostly) articles with stats or science findings.

I just finished reading this book - [Only registered users can see links.] You might want to read it as well.

The fact that you posted such an article suggests that you haven't been reading the articles I have posted over the past 2 years. So either A) you are trolling B) you still don't believe we are altering the Earth's habitat.

Edit: It's also ironic that your post is the next one right after an article stating that someone who was once on the denial side regrets it.

Last edited by ggies; 05-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #391
Matthew Stafford
TDCya

Quote:
There is only one side of the story. This is not an opinion thread. From day one, post one I shared factual, statistical data (from Exxon scientists I might add) that shows the Earth's temp has accelerated due to CO2 in the atmosphere and oceans.

It's up to you to read and decided and accept what is happening. I come in here and post (mostly) articles with stats or science findings.

I just finished reading this book - [Only registered users can see links.] You might want to read it as well.

The fact that you posted such an article suggests that you haven't been reading the articles I have posted over the past 2 years. So either A) you are trolling B) you still don't believe we are altering the Earth's habitat.

Edit: It's also ironic that your post is the next one right after an article stating that someone who was once on the denial side regrets it.
Yeah, I've read most of what you've posted. I also read stats and data that show the opposing view. And unless I'm missing something, the post I was trying to read the entirety of shows plenty of data as well. Unless you're simply another one of those that anything that counters your view or argument can't be fact or data.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #392
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Yeah, I've read most of what you've posted. I also read stats and data that show the opposing view. And unless I'm missing something, the post I was trying to read the entirety of shows plenty of data as well. Unless you're simply another one of those that anything that counters your view or argument can't be fact or data.
That's good to hear. I'm not that way, but this topic has become an obsession of mine which I have research for 4 years now. I started out reading both sides, but it became crystal clear what was happening and then the Exxon internal memos sealed the deal. Scientists have known that we affect the atmosphere since the 1800s....this is nothing new, it's just now we have more concrete data to play with.

Last edited by ggies; 05-08-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #393
Matthew Stafford
TDCya

Quote:
That's good to hear. I'm not that way, but this topic has become an obsession of mine which I have research for 4 years now. I started out reading both sides, but it became crystal clear what was happening and then the Exxon internal memos sealed the deal. Scientists have known that we affect the atmosphere since the 1800s....this is nothing new, it's just now we have more concrete data to play with.
Right, I certainly think we can and have impacted the atmosphere. I don't however believe it's the catastrophic version of what many want to preach, which is why I read as much on both sides that does include stats and data (like the article I posted and still trying to get access to) and stays away from simply opinions.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #394
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Right, I certainly think we can and have impacted the atmosphere. I don't however believe it's the catastrophic version of what many want to preach, which is why I read as much on both sides that does include stats and data (like the article I posted and still trying to get access to) and stays away from simply opinions.
Glad to see you understand half of it, here is why it is a bigger deal than you think. This is taken from this article, which I think I have posted before:

Quote:
18,000 years ago, global temperatures were about 5ºC lower than the 20th century average. That was enough to put Canada, Scandinavia, and half of England and the US under a half a mile of ice. That’s what 5ºC can do.

100 million years ago, temperatures were 6-10ºC higher than they are now—and every region of the Earth was tropical, there was no permanent ice anywhere, ocean levels were 200 meters higher, and this kind of shit was happening:

Quote:
This is also even more fragile than is intuitive. First, you don’t need the average temperature to go up by a catastrophic amount to have a catastrophe—because the average temp could go up by only 3ºC but the max temp rises by a lot more. Just one day at an outlier high like 58ºC (136ºF) would wipe out most of the Earth’s crops and animals. Second, because the total range of temperature a planet can be goes all the way down to absolute zero: -273ºC (-459ºF). So a difference of 5ºC, enough to bury the northern part of the world under an ocean of ice, is really only about a 1.5% fluctuation in temperature—not something like 10%, which is what it seems like. Looking at the window on a spectrum that shows the full range emphasizes that the world we’re used to is what it is only because of a very specific and delicate balance of conditions.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #395
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Don't be fooled:

Old 05-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #396
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
The focus of the Caucus is to educate Members of Congress regarding the benefits of storage to the U.S. electric system and investigate ways to accelerate job growth and investment in U.S. advanced energy storage industries.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #397
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
"You are transforming your civilization if you choose to either stand in denial of science or withdrawal science funding from those that are actually doing the research.

Everything we care deeply about that defines modern civilization pivots on innovations in science, technology, engineering, and math that is the foundation language for it all."
Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #398
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Anyone need or knows of someone who needs a new roof?

Quote:
“When you think of a sustainable energy future, you want roofs to be beautiful and generate energy from the sun. That energy can then charge Powerwalls and electric vehicles. That’s the future we want.”
Old 05-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #399
ggies
Sugar Will '04

That a way Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Susan Collins (R-ME), and John McCain (R-AZ). Well done! You have just kept my daughter's future world a little bit healthier.

Quote:
In a 51 to 49 vote, the Senate rejected an effort to strike down an environmental regulation aimed at limiting methane emissions from oil and gas drilling on public lands.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #400
ggies
Sugar Will '04

There is some amazing and enlightening info in his presentation which is inside this link. I will post some of it in here:

Quote:
He pitched a short of Core Labs (CLB) with the thesis that it's a cyclical company disguised as a secular grower.

He thinks fair value is $62, or around 40% lower as the company has exposure to international oil field capex budgets that won't recover.

Quote:
Reading Core’s annual reports is like opening a time capsule preserving the history of energy market hype. You’d almost expect them to start talking about machine learning.
It's not only oil companies doing this:
Quote:
Core also likes to pay a dividend. For the last 5 quarters, rather than cut the dividend, the company has paid out more than it has earned

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc