These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
greykitkat36

Rashawn (The Best and The Worst)

What do you like about him? Don't like about him? what songs is he great on and what songs does he ruin? I think for the most part we know this stuff, but we've never had a full thread dedicated to it I don't believe (and maybe we don't need one, but hell it's off season now, let the fun begin).

Personally, I've always liked his muted trumpet sound the best. He sounds good on Snow Outside, Proudest and Seek Up/Typical (when he uses it). Anyone know or remember his "best performances" off hand?

Pros: His soloing has definitely improved dramatically since he's joined the band, and he has written some really nice, cool horn parts.

Cons: I still think overall he "overplays" and tries to play way too many notes or just go for the impressive high notes and never really lets his solos breathe. He also squeals for the high notes on almost every ending to every song, and it only sounds good/appropriate on a few of them (like sledgehammer). He also plays a lot of predictable lines/I know what he's going to play before he does it. Not as creative as he could be, though I'll admit it's been better the last few years.

He's kind of a baby/complainer, I've noticed mainly on social media how often he seems to gripe about really unimportant things. He has "first world problems" syndrome pretty bad. Almost too spoiled in a way. Complaining about how long the tour is, or how his lips hurt and how "it's been long only a few more to go!" ..I mean, if he doesn't want to be there, I'm sure there's a lot of people who would love the opportunity to take his spot. Don't take things for granted, man.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
willndmb

This yr was his best overall imo.
When he was new I liked him more because he didn't overplay but then he took over too much and became noise.
I had wrote him off but in fairness he was blending in more this yr and more enjoyable
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
SeekUpAB

Nothing. Everything.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

The Live Trax 2008 Dreaming Tree has an amazing Rashawn solo. I also thought he was fantastic on Crush this year. It's not all bad.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
Tomacco

I pretty much always like when he plays solos with the muted trumpet or effects like he often did this year.
He usually does great work on Spaceman, Dreaming Tree, #41 (05 and 2018), YMDT, Stolen Away, Proudesy Monkey, and Crush (2018).
I don’t like what he did to OSW, Grey Street, and Rapunzel.
I don’t like how he thinks he has to blare and squeal the very last note on songs like Grey Street, Belly Belly Nice, Billies, etc.
I like how much he cares about the band.
I don’t like all the choices he makes or that he seems to have the power to make them.
I like that he brought Buddy on board.
I like the he suggested Big Whiskey as part of the album title.
I don’t like his tendency to whine and moan about fans or how he hates soloing, or whatever.
Ultimately, he doesn’t strike me as humble, especially given the golden ticket Roi and Dave gave him.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Muted Trumpet Rashawn is the only one I like playing with DMB.

I like that he essentially is the 'musical director.' I mean that in a non-sarcastic way. I feel he goes to each band member and pitches ideas and brings back songs, etc. Brings guests on board, seems incredibly positive aside from being 'tired' or 'worn out.'
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
The Live Trax 2008 Dreaming Tree has an amazing Rashawn solo. I also thought he was fantastic on Crush this year. It's not all bad.
Count me in on that Dreaming Tree solo. His work in June that year on any version of Dreaming Tree is some of his best work with the band. The Live Trax 14 version isn't as good as that SPAC one but it's still pretty great.

I've always thought 2008 was his best year. Good solos, not overbearing, less horn lines, didn't overstep on Roi or Jeff too much.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
celluloid hero

He's had some awesome solos at the end of So Right, especially in 2006. I think he's also super underrated as a harmony singer. He doesn't really bother me all that much, but when he shoots for high notes to end a song and doesn't come close, I do cringe every time.

I think for me musically, Boyd had bothered and embarrassed me for 17 years. There's nothing that Rashawn could do to look bad. Doesn't mean he's great, but nowhere close to "nothing - everything" for me.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
He's had some awesome solos at the end of So Right, especially in 2006. I think he's also super underrated as a harmony singer. He doesn't really bother me all that much, but when he shoots for high notes to end a song and doesn't come close, I do cringe every time.

I think for me musically, Boyd had bothered and embarrassed me for 17 years. There's nothing that Rashawn could do to look bad. Doesn't mean he's great, but nowhere close to "nothing - everything" for me.
Ah, how did I forget that? His So Right solo was one of the highlights of Randall's Island N1 for me and that was a show that featured Warren Haynes AND the Flecktones.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
Nothing. Everything.
I pretty much agree with this. He's everything I don't like about 3.0. I also wish Tim would tone it down but that's for another discussion.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Ah, how did I forget that? His So Right solo was one of the highlights of Randall's Island N1 for me and that was a show that featured Warren Haynes AND the Flecktones.
Yep, I loved that version at the time. Looking back though, I definitely prefer So Right from 2013 to 2018. Jeff kills it, and I love the horn lines they end on.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
3beamsoflight6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
That DT is incredible. RR fucking nails every note of it.
3beamsoflight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 AM   #13
gweeps

I like Ross on studio Beach Ball and Rooftop.

I also enjoy his muted trumpet playing.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
willndmb

I wish the "muted trumpet" was the same as Boyd being muted
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #15
blumathu

He's so good on that one awesome live Beach Ball from 5.01.09
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #16
mja271

Not that he doesn't have merit here and there but if it was ever announced he was leaving I wouldn't be upset for a second. I've just never really liked the trumpet sound for this band. He obviously has more of a leadership role within the group but strictly from a listening perspective there's nothing he ever does that makes me think "I couldn't imagine this without Rashawn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
dmb448

Rashawn is just bad. He should have left 10 years ago.
dmb448 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc