These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #61
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

That setlist pre encore looks like Dave's dream set. Also looks close to worst case possible set.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #62
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Jesus christ rashawn.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #63
Bluewater34
Is Old

That Maker was pretty great.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #64
dacam07

Few comments I’ll add....I’m a huge dmb fan and also a phish fan. I was almost looking more foward to TAB then dave. Dave to me as become stale and I have seen 100 dave shows and only around 10 phish show (4 this year). So tab took the stage and crowd was all standing and having a great time they were fantastic. Told my wife afterwards dave was going to be in touble and tough to follow that. He came out and the crowd went nuts. Dave voice was fantastic and set list was predictable. Seeing him with trey was worth everything. Saw Dave and friends back in 2003 and was one of my favorite shows so seeing these 2 together brought a huge smile to my face and they seemed pumped to be together again.
Radio city is absolutely amazing and staff is pretty chill but getting to bathroom and getting a beer was a nightmare. Acoustics were amazing
dacam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #65
dacam07

Was really cool to see phish and Dave fans co exist and appreciate the music and not compare the 2
dacam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #66
willndmb

Vids [Only registered users can see links.]
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #67
dmb1981

Rashawn on I want to take you higher... Horrendous. I don't care how technically sound he is. I simply can't stand that squealing.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #68
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Rashawn on I want to take you higher... Horrendous. I don't care how technically sound he is. I simply can't stand that squealing.

Yes, Rashawn is annoying. Unfortunately, he's not going anywhere.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #69
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
That setlist pre encore looks like Dave's dream set. Also looks close to worst case possible set.
Yeah, but we all knew that going in. No one was expected to be surprised at all. I'm actually suprised the encore turned out the way it did honestly. I had expectations so low I didn't even think there would be a Collab but hey at least it happened. But this was a benefit concert and what not, there's no way anyone who followed this band even a little bit thought the set would be interesting.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #70
mikelhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah, but we all knew that going in. No one was expected to be surprised at all. I'm actually suprised the encore turned out the way it did honestly. I had expectations so low I didn't even think there would be a Collab but hey at least it happened. But this was a benefit concert and what not, there's no way anyone who followed this band even a little bit thought the set would be interesting.
Well to be fair, I did post that I thought Dave would play a few w TAB. I don't know how ppl didn't think a collab would happen.
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #71
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
I was to lazy to type it out yesterday
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #72
cgator41
Johnny Mac

I guess it's a style preference, but I think Rashawn sounds fine--good, actually. Plus, listening to shitty cell phone audio makes him stick out a lot more than in the house mix.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #73
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelhu View Post
Well to be fair, I did post that I thought Dave would play a few w TAB. I don't know how ppl didn't think a collab would happen.
I had doubts it would happen for a few reasons
A) the band and Dave have a habit of dropping the ball on extremely obvious collab situations in the past
B) Dave and Trey hadnít played together in like 10+ years (since that Ď07 LIOG guest spot).
C) rumors that Trey wasnít allowed around Dave/he was a bad influence (which I donít know If thatís actually true or not).
D) Dave is lazy when it comes to learning things. Trey is a workhorse and is always trying to learn and play, Dave seems like heís trying to get out of there as soon as he can these days.

I wouldnít say I was shocked it happened, but I didnít think it was a lock by any means.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #74
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
I guess it's a style preference, but I think Rashawn sounds fine--good, actually. Plus, listening to shitty cell phone audio makes him stick out a lot more than in the house mix.
People definitely exaggerate how bad he is. I think itís mainly just the high pitched squeal notes he does...and he does them WAY too often. Itís impressive he can hit those, but much less so when itís all you do. Itís the equivalent of Eddie Van Halen just doing Tapping on the guitar..ok thatís cool, but gets annoying if thatís all you do.

Rashawb isnít terrible he just doesnít have a lot of phrasing/creativity. Iíve always thought he gets way too much flack from hardcore fans though. I think for the reasons I mentioned as well as because he came into the band during that dreadful 05-07 period, and itís hard not to associate him with that. Like a ďhe ruined DMB with cheesy horn linesĒ etc. when really even with no Rasahawn, the band was spent during that time..almost broke up and played incredibly uninspired. Not to mention having a horn section was actually Roiís idea. So I think he gets blamed for things that really arenít his fault.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #75
Bluewater34
Is Old

Rashawn at this point, to me, is a lot like Tim was during the Fall ‘98 tour. He seems to only have one setting, and he keeps going all-out, full-tilt no matter which song he’s playing, where he’s playing it, and whether either of those factors call for it. I’m on record as having very little problem with the horn section thing, and we know Rashawn is capable of playing in a way that is tasteful and appropriate for the music. But every time he gets a solo anymore it’s straight into the upper register. Roi would do that too, but he only did it every once in a while, and only when the performance called for it. For me, that is essentially the entire problem with Rashawn.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #76
mikelhu

I've seen this referenced a few times here but when has dave dropped the ball on collabs or guest spots? I'm genuinely interested cause I think 99% of the time he brings up someone that shares the bill w him.... Maybe 1 time out of 50 they didn't bring Bela up??
Seems over the years when Bela is around or opens he guests. Same goes for Warren.

And this was basically a co-bill w Dave and Trey so any rumor of Trey not being able to be around Dave whether it was true in the past had to be rectified.
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #77
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Rashawn at this point, to me, is a lot like Tim was during the Fall Ď98 tour. He seems to only have one setting, and he keeps going all-out, full-tilt no matter which song heís playing, where heís playing it, and whether either of those factors call for it. Iím on record as having very little problem with the horn section thing, and we know Rashawn is capable of playing in a way that is tasteful and appropriate for the music. But every time he gets a solo anymore itís straight into the upper register. Roi would do that too, but he only did it every once in a while, and only when the performance called for it. For me, that is essentially the entire problem with Rashawn.
I feel like a bitter broken record continuously crying and bitching about Rashawn, but he truly has ruined this band for me and that really sucks. I do disagree slightly about the Rashawn / '98 Tim comparison only because Tim's issue wasn't that he was going sloppy balls deep right outta the gate on every song, rather he was just turned so high in the mix and that Les Paul just amplified everything. For Rashawn, it's not his instrument, or his FOH level during a live show...it's his actual playing and his taste for riffs, lines and stems that clutter every pocket of almost every song.

The lineup changes I keep coming up with that would bring a serious interest back for me have one key element missing, Rashawn.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Tim and Jeff.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, and Jeff.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Tim, Jeff and Butch.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Jeff and Butch.
Fan#41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #78
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I feel like a bitter broken record continuously crying and bitching about Rashawn, but he truly has ruined this band for me and that really sucks. I do disagree slightly about the Rashawn / '98 Tim comparison only because Tim's issue wasn't that he was going sloppy balls deep right outta the gate on every song, rather he was just turned so high in the mix and that Les Paul just amplified everything. For Rashawn, it's not his instrument, or his FOH level during a live show...it's his actual playing and his taste for riffs, lines and stems that clutter every pocket of almost every song.

The lineup changes I keep coming up with that would bring a serious interest back for me have one key element missing, Rashawn.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Tim and Jeff.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, and Jeff.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Tim, Jeff and Butch.

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, Jeff and Butch.
I fully agree.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #79
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I agree, too. I think his subtractions far outweigh (no pun) the good stuff he adds. I want the sax full throttle and that won't happen as long as he's up there. And I'm tired of the canned lines and squealing. I don't think I'm being extreme in saying he's really ruined some of my favorite songs (OSW, Grey Street, Rapunzel).

Although I would prefer Tim sticks around until the end. Throw him an acoustic every now and then, but I still really appreciate what he brings overall. And it might be going on a decade now but it's cool as hell to see him on that stage. I wanted that for a long time.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #80
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Agree 100%. He's ruined them for me too.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc