These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #101
mikelhu

Did anyone see any sound check info?
People parked next to me said they did a check and that they heard Typical.... I was skeptical after her telling me her last Dave and Tim show was in a field in Tennessee. LOL
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #102
Mersh

Was hoping to get Typical last night.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #103
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelhu View Post
Did anyone see any sound check info?
People parked next to me said they did a check and that they heard Typical.... I was skeptical after her telling me her last Dave and Tim show was in a field in Tennessee. LOL
The Stone lol
At least that's what Dave said at the end of it
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #104
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Why would Carter nix (which means "snow" in Latin coincidentally) Snow Outside or The Stone? They aren't any more challenging than anything else. Just assuming that if something is played Dave & Tim and not full band that it's Carter? These are Dave & Tim staples. Doesn't surprise me no matter how common or rare they are full band that they get played at a one-off D&T show.
Didn't say anything about it being challenging though.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #105
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Didn't say anything about it being challenging though.
Ok, it's pretty big leap to say "they haven't played this full band, but they did Dave and Tim, Carter must be nixing all these songs including the ones they stop playing" when for at least a decade there's been a pretty a pretty big separation of Dave & Tim and full band including years they've done this show. Wondering what I'm missing that makes this about Carter then.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #106
Tomacco

Everyone always needs somebody to blame and to boil things down to simplest terms. Human are complex, and there are probably a bunch of overall reasons some songs don't get played, get overplayed, or just get played D&T. People like to make up stories though when they see Carter wince or Stefan not smile during a show. Let's not pretend we know these people.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #107
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Everyone always needs somebody to blame and to boil things down to simplest terms. Human are complex, and there are probably a bunch of overall reasons some songs don't get played, get overplayed, or just get played D&T. People like to make up stories though when they see Carter wince or Stefan not smile during a show. Let's not pretend we know these people.
It's a fair assumption that more difficult drum songs are not being played as much because of Carter's age, no?

And, Stefan has indeed looked miserable at shows recently.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #108
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

It's also a matter of getting everyone together to rehearse. Carter probably wants to minimize his load before the show
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #109
Christopher James

For the record, I think it's 100% Dave Matthews not putting Bartender, Stone, Two Step etc. on the setlist. I think Carter would play them all if need-be..
Old 07-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #110
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher James View Post
For the record, I think it's 100% Dave Matthews not putting Bartender, Stone, Two Step etc. on the setlist. I think Carter would play them all if need-be..
I'll put that down in the minutes
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #111
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Right. It's the job. My kids know I don't like cleaning shit out of their diapers, but they still crap in their pants. Though, in fairness to Crater, I don't have the #RunToTheBus post dump.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #112
greykitkat36

Carter isn't nixing songs because they're hard or challenging Imo, he just simply doesn't like them or doesn't enjoy playing them. I don't think it has anything to do with difficulty or age at all.

Yes at the end of the day Dave is writing the actual setlist, but we know Dave is sometimes a lazy dude, and if he knows Carter doesn't like certain songs, it just makes his task of making the setlist easier because he doesn't have to think about rarities. I 100% believe Carter is one of the main reasons the setlists suck. When Dave plays with Tim or solo the sets usually have a quite bit more variation overall, or at least some surprises here and there, as well as slots changing up. It was Dave that wanted to open a show in 2010 with JTR (I believe it was Big Whiskey documentary where we saw that).

Dave also said at Camden before Death on high seas, "I always take my cues from Carter cause he's crazy." This statement followed Daves usual statement about how he's going to play this song because they can. Now I'm reading into that a lot, but I got the impression that Carter is at the helm of some of the decisions.

I was also third row in the pit N1 and clearly saw Carter say no to Dave about the Two Step chants. Clear as day.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #113
greykitkat36

I don't think anyone else in the band really cares what they play they're happy to play whatever. It's really just Stefan and Carter, and we know Stefan doesn't mind busting out rarities so I'm not gonna get on him. If anything he's probably the one who pushes Carter to give in once in a while.

Maybe that's why Stefan looks so pissed this summer. Cause he's tired of these stale sets too but Dave jerks off to whatever Carter says.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #114
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Carter isn't nixing songs because they're hard or challenging Imo, he just simply doesn't like them or doesn't enjoy playing them. I don't think it has anything to do with difficulty or age at all.

Yes at the end of the day Dave is writing the actual setlist, but we know Dave is sometimes a lazy dude, and if he knows Carter doesn't like certain songs, it just makes his task of making the setlist easier because he doesn't have to think about rarities. I 100% believe Carter is one of the main reasons the setlists suck. When Dave plays with Tim or solo the sets usually have a quite bit more variation overall, or at least some surprises here and there, as well as slots changing up. It was Dave that wanted to open a show in 2010 with JTR (I believe it was Big Whiskey documentary where we saw that).
Yep.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #115
BeaufordBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Or pretend we know what songs are difficult to play on the drums.
BeaufordBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #116
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I'll put that down in the minutes
Old 07-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #117
Christopher James

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

Dave also said at Camden before Death on high seas, "I always take my cues from Carter cause he's crazy." This statement followed Daves usual statement about how he's going to play this song because they can. Now I'm reading into that a lot, but I got the impression that Carter is at the helm of some of the decisions.

I was also third row in the pit N1 and clearly saw Carter say no to Dave about the Two Step chants. Clear as day.
All good points. Maybe Carter is the true leader. I do recall Dave saying that Carter was the real leader of the band in an interview.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #118
greykitkat36

Quote:
All good points. Maybe Carter is the true leader. I do recall Dave saying that Carter was the real leader of the band in an interview.
It's alot of rampant speculation, I know, but it can't be ruled out. I could easily see Dave putting The Stone or Dreaming Tree in the setlist, showing it to Carter, and Carter saying "Eh, not feeling that one man. Plus we'd have to practice that. Ain't no one got time for that Dave!" and then smile, blow his bubblegum bubble and walk away without a fuck in the world.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #119
Tomacco

Anyway, anyone else notice Virginia In the Rain on the setlist? That would've been interesting since the keyboard wasn't on stage - meaning he might've played it acoustically.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #120
Mersh

there was a piano on stage.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc