Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #261
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]

Yup. This is something that came up in one of the many weekly podcasts I listen to. I forget which one now, they are all worth subscribing to...

*Sea Change Radio
*Slate's 'Trumpcast'
*BBC 4's 'Costing the Earth'
*Earth Wise (this wasn't the one I'm referring to, this is just daily 2-minute blurbs about specific things going on around climate change, usually leads to me investigating things further... one of them the other day was talking about bananas and the monoculture surrounding one specific variety that occupies 95% of the world's consumed bananas, which is in decline)
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #262
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Hell yes! This.is.awesome. She called them out on their BS.

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #263
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Old 12-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #264
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Old 12-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #265
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
The future of the car will be electric. The rewards for those who back the winners will be huge.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #266
ggies
Sugar Will '04

The grid is getting cleaner and cleaner........

Quote:
Primarily driven by utility PV, the U.S. installed 4,143 megawatts of solar PV in Q3 2016, increasing 99 percent over Q2 2016 and 191 percent over Q3 2015. This marks the largest quarter ever for the U.S. solar industry.
Quote:
In fact, the utility-scale segment represented 77 percent of solar PV installed in the third quarter of the year.
Quote:
The non-residential segment posted its second-largest quarter ever. With 375 megawatts installed, the segment grew 15 percent over the second quarter of the year and 37 percent annually.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #267
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is fucking awesome. So Tesla's new radar tech can bounce around, under, and through the car in front of you to see the next car and this is a perfect example of it working.

Quote:
“I was following a truck which was large enough to obstruct my view of the car ahead. But I did note that AP [Autopilot] was registering the car in front of my lead car just fine despite me not having a view. Suddenly, full emergency braking was activated on my car, which startled me because the lead car was still moving at a normal speed and I could not detect a problem. A split second later the car directly in front of me veered into the shoulder to avoid hitting the car in front of him which had stopped abruptly for road debris. The AP [Autopilot] in my car managed to brake even before the car in front of me acted and was able to come to a full stop with a decent amount of room between me and what was the second car ahead of me. The original lead car was now stuck on the side of the road.”
Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #268
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I've already divested my assets, you might want to think about it as well. Another way to contribute if you don't have an EV or solar panels yet.

Quote:
Interestingly, Arabella’s report, which is embedded in full below, says that pension funds and insurance companies now represent the largest sectors committing to divestment from fossil fuels.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #269
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another excellent article:

Quote:
“We argue so much about the silly politics of climate change and fail to recognize the gargantuan economic opportunity that this presents. The energy system is going to get re-engineered, and someone is going to do it,” he said. “The Chinese seem to have recognized the significance of this opportunity.”
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #270
ggies
Sugar Will '04

For those that live in Michigan:

Quote:
Lawmakers in Michigan's House and Senate yesterday reached a bipartisan compromise to overhaul the state's energy marketplace, raising the renewable energy standard from 10% to 15%, protecting retail net metering and keeping its limited retail choice program alive.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #271
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another great doc, specifically about renewable energy.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #272
ggies
Sugar Will '04

One of the reasons I invested in this company years ago and believe in them more than any other - they know how to make battery packs for cars and storage.

Quote:
In conclusion, if a fire starts from inside a pod, it doesn’t propagate to the rest of the Powerpack. And if a fire starts outside the Powerpack, it won’t spread to other Powerpacks around it. Of course, there are also several safety features preventing those things from ever happening, but the NFPA’s tests were for worst case scenarios.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #273
gweeps

Quote:
The president is invoking a provision in a 1953 law known as the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act in order to indefinitely block drilling in large sections of the Arctic and Atlantic, according to CNBC on Tuesday. This will include most of the Beaufort and Chukchi seas in the Arctic and 31 underwater canyons in the Atlantic.

Obama’s decision occurred on the same day that Canada imposed a five-year ban on all oil and gas drilling in the Canadian Arctic. Both the United States and Canada said they will work together to find shipping lines through connected Arctic waters that are sustainable.

Provision 12(a) of the law allows presidents to “withdraw from disposition any of the unleased lands of the outer Continental Shelf.” Because the law doesn’t contain any provisions allowing subsequent presidents to repeal their predecessors’ decisions, it is not clear how easily or even if Trump can reverse Obama’s decision without outright changing the law. Although the provision has been used in the past to protect smaller portions of the Outer Continental Shelf for limited periods, no president has ever used it to cover as much area or to do so indefinitely.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #274
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
great to see!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #275
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Just another example of how dumb Trump looked on the campaign trail and how dumb he'll look if he doesn't jump on board the clean energy train.

Quote:
“Just look at the macroeconomic signals; look at the market capitalization of energy companies…they’ve gotten hammered in the stock market,” he said. “Institutional investors are divesting from carbon intensive companies left and right.”
Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #276
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Just another reason Tesla is awesome - they do cool things like this for their customers.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #277
ggies
Sugar Will '04

@Caveat Emperor - from your post [Only registered users can see links.]

Here ya go

Quote:
Now Musk’s answer to me asking if Tesla’s next Supercharger will have an output greater than 350 kW clearly shows that such an output will be a joke compared to what he has in plan for the ‘Supercharger V3’:
Just one year later and the tech has already improved. For Tesla, they are using 18650 batteries, but they have a new form that is slightly bigger and taller with more energy density - 2170. Combined with a new way to align the cells and BMS inside the pack and you are able to get better range and charging standards.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #278
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another example:

Quote:
What is most impressive is that fact that we can clearly hear the Forward Collision Warning alert before the lead vehicle even applied the brake, which shows that the Autopilot wasn’t only using the lead vehicle to plan the path, but also the vehicle in front of it – the black SUV.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #279
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another gas company gets it:

Quote:
The falling cost of solar power and battery storage, rising sales of electric vehicles, increasingly “smart” buildings and cheap hydrogen will all weigh on crude, Thierry Lepercq, head of research, technology and innovation at the French energy company, said in an interview.
Quote:
“Even if oil demand continues to climb until 2025, its price could drop to $10 if markets anticipate a significant fall in demand,” Lepercq said at his office near Paris. Crude last slumped to that level in 1998.
Quote:
The former French gas monopoly, which is now the world’s largest non-state power producer following a decade of acquisitions, is investing in renewables while selling coal-fired plants and exploration assets to shield itself from commodity-price swings.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #280
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Two articles:

For those that live in Ohio - [Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Governor John Kasich has made good on a promise to veto legislation that would have prolonged a freeze on Ohio’s renewable-energy and energy-efficiency standards, clearing the way for significant new clean energy investments.
Second article -

The author nails it and expresses my frustration with the industry.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc