These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you feel about horns post-Roi?
More horns, please! Jeff and Ross should be centerpieces. 11 39.29%
Less horns, please! They tend to stand out too much in the mix. 4 14.29%
They’re fine exactly as they are, sometimes prominent, sometimes totally absent. 9 32.14%
Other, see my comments. 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Josh.0

How do you feel about horns-heavy DMB songs post-Roi?

Making this poll because I’m starting to wonder if I’m in the minority in that, overall, I haven’t loved the horns sections live or on most studio albums since Roi passed. Maybe I’m more of a “strings” guy (which may be why I like Come On Come On), but to me Roi was so unique and the horns since his death always feel...stale? overly bombastic? too punchy?....to me.

I’m sort of enjoying the lack of LOUD HORNS on CT, but I’ve seen others comment that they wish they were more prominent.

What do you say, TDC? Do you like that horns-heavy sound post-Roi? Do you wish DMB had a more prominent brass section?
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
NiCK (Crush)

The restraint shown by Rashawn on Come Tomorrow is one of the most surprising things about the record.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Ditch Rashawn and let Coffin really fill the void left by Roi. They honored Roi's idea for a horn section. Time to move on.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
The restraint shown by Rashawn on Come Tomorrow is one of the most surprising things about the record.
Agreed.

I wonder if he’s slipped into the Boyd role (on stage, that is).
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
SomeDevil17

Do Dave and Rashawn get along? I never really recall them interacting on stage together.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Agreed. Listening to this record is actually making me excited to see the band live again, but then I remembered watching the periscopes and it's still the same DMB 4.0 in a live setting as it's been for the last 10 years. There's no need to hit the highest pitch possible on fucking Typical Situation of all songs...just kills me. And now we all know better than to listen to people saying "hey man, it was better live than on paper!, the energy!@!!". We're getting live streams now and can honestly tell those who just attended that show that you don't agree with their assessment. It's always the same though, "just got back, I know I know, looks bad on paper but it was great live they sounded awesome!!!". No. The show you just attended was exactly how it looked on paper. I honestly can't be the only one in this god damn fanbase that can leave a show (not going in with extreme hatred or prejudice) and go..."you know...it wasn't that great, or even that good."
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
Ditch Rashawn and let Coffin really fill the void left by Roi. They honored Roi's idea for a horn section. Time to move on.
I could not agree more with this statement. 1,000%
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Agreed.

if he starts shaving to the cock base, we will know
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I honestly can't be the only one in this god damn fanbase that can leave a show (not going in with extreme hatred or prejudice) and go..."you know...it wasn't that great, or even that good."
Another great, well-stated post, Brandon.

This last part is something that’s always bugged me too. Like, how hard is it just to be at peace with the money you lost on tickets and just give a genuinely objective review of what you witnessed? Most of us know when someone’s full of shit when they praise a garbage show. It’s almost insulting when you were watching the stream thinking “woof,” and then someone’s like “you weren’t there! TEH ENERGY BRAH!”

It’s like, yeah, I’m sure Nickleback has some high-energy shows too. What did you think about the music? What did you think about the picture they painted? Could you comprehend anything beyond your adrenaline rush?

This reminds me of Alpine ‘09. I remember WANTING to love those shows so bad because I flew all the way out to Alpine for the first time, but I knew (and the band knew) that they showed up jet lagged from a needlessly prolonged European vacation and more or less shit the bed for a couple of nights (especially N1). Most of us froze our asses off due to a cold front that moved through the area and then the band shit the bed on top of it. Yet, some were like “best shows ever!” and I remember thinking “what in the holy fuck are you talking about?”

Now, everything OUTSIDE the shows were amazing and truly, truly memorable () but the shows sucked ass.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I could not agree more with this statement. 1,000%
Sadly it will never happen, especially with them writing songs with those parts written into them. I know I sound silly and like a bitter fool but this album cycle really killed my interest in a band I've loved since I was a kid. Roi was always my favorite. I tried to hang in there out of loyalty after he died but I haven't seen them since 2011 even though I liked AFTW. I just wasn't in to what they were doing live. I stopped listening to live shows after 2012 and my interest has just waned more and more since then. I'm obviously having a hard time letting go.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
SomeDevil17

Quote:

This last part is something that’s always bugged me too. Like, how hard is it just to be at peace with the money you lost on tickets and just give a genuinely objective review of what you witnessed? Most of us know when someone’s full of shit when they praise a garbage show. It’s almost insulting when you were watching the stream thinking “woof,” and then someone’s like “you weren’t there! TEH ENERGY BRAH!”

It’s like, yeah, I’m sure Nickleback has some high-energy shows too. What did you think about the music? What did you think about the picture they painted? Could you comprehend anything beyond your adrenaline rush?

This reminds me of Alpine ‘09. I remember WANTING to love those shows so bad because I flew all the way out to Alpine for the first time, but I knew (and the band knew) that they showed up jet lagged from a needlessly prolonged European vacation and more or less shit the bed for a couple of nights (especially N1). Most of us froze our asses off due to a cold front that moved through the area and then the band shit the bed on top of it. Yet, some were like “best shows ever!” and I remember thinking “what in the holy fuck are you talking about?”

Now, everything OUTSIDE the shows were amazing and truly, truly memorable () but the shows sucked ass.
Alpine was so hype to me before I went in 2009 and they shit the bed so hard. I gave it another shot in 2010 and even then I wasn't impressed. I will stick to deer creek if I travel for shows again. But those days are pretty much done.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
blumathu

Quote:
I don't really think that was his choice.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
gary

Yeah all the squealing (taking it up an octave) from Music Director just kills songs for me and is so tacky.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Mitch

Quote:
Agreed. That would be ideal. I've always been more of a guitar-focused guy, never been big on overbearing horn sections. (also, I don't know how to vote based on this)

Quote:
good clarification
Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #15
Fan#41

Quote:

If it weren't for you and Brian I would still be wandering the Alpine lots. Thank you for saving my life.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
This would be ideal. But I don't see Rashawn leaving. He adds some nice things. Basically give a few songs to Jeff - Seek Up, Grey Street, Rapunzel, OSW and I'd like Rashawn a lot more.

I like what he does on Loving Wings, Crush and a few other songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Do Dave and Rashawn get along? I never really recall them interacting on stage together.
I think there's a lot of mutual respect there.

Quote:
Alpine 09 still bums me out. 08 was one of my favorite weekends ever. Great shows. Great sets. Just an incredible weekend.

N1 09 was such a dud. Just a total let down. But n2 was a solid show. That Proudest Monkey (with a Jeff solo!) was awesome and set the tone night two. But overall meh.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
This would be ideal. But I don't see Rashawn leaving. He adds some nice things. Basically give a few songs to Jeff - Seek Up, Grey Street, Rapunzel, OSW and I'd like Rashawn a lot more.

I like what he does on Loving Wings, Crush and a few other songs.

I think there's a lot of mutual respect there.

Alpine 09 still bums me out. 08 was one of my favorite weekends ever. Great shows. Great sets. Just an incredible weekend.

N1 09 was such a dud. Just a total let down. But n2 was a solid show. That Proudest Monkey (with a Jeff solo!) was awesome and set the tone night two. But overall meh.
I've had the thought that maybe this is as involved as Coffin wants to be and he puts his creative energy into his own projects and enjoys a nice fat paycheck from this gig. That's cool if that is the case. I enjoy his other work.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
Fan#41

Quote:
I still can't believe I randomly stumbled upon on you, Mike and Emily in the lots after N2. I had no idea where I was. haha
Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
mja271

I like a couple of bombastic funky horns songs every now and then. In general I just miss normal saxophone lines throughout songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #20
Mitch

Quote:
This would be ideal. But I don't see Rashawn leaving.
No doubt. He's a squatter at this point. They'd have to forcibly remove him.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc