These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #101
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
This tour was really bad.
Was it really though? We're all mostly older now. I used to go anywhere from 4-8 shows a tour. Now I go to SPAC and my local Toronto show. I highly enjoyed my shows. I don't geek out anymore, so all I'm looking for at this point is to have a fun night out and great annual trip to SPAC. I just don't care enough to call it bad. My wish was always to get the keys back. Boyd stunk and was asked to leave. So imo, what happened this summer was my best case scenario at this point. I had fun all 3 nights.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #102
SomeDevil17

I’m glad everyone still enjoys having fun at shows

It’s crazy to compare how obsessed I was with these guys during like the 2005-2009 era (going to multiple shows in a tour, traveling 3+ hours for shows, downloading almost every aid) and then after that I’ve slowly started becoming less and less interested. I guess it’s part of getting older and moving on and finding other bands to pick up the slack of dmb.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #103
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Maybe itís time time for me to move but still my main complaint is setlist variety. No reason we canít get mixed up sets every night. Buddy or not, these guys are pros and can learn songs quick. Their catalog of tunes is huge and it just seems like the same shit gets beaten into the ground every night. I understand you have your staple songs (ants, jimi, everyday, billies, grey st, bayou lol) but you have to really switch it up and I think that is what a lot of us are missing. This has been on going for quite sometime though. I havenít been to a show since 2015, I am sure everyone still has a great time when they go and itís fun but just watching from home I get why so many people are negative on here.

And just because I love doing it, even though itís been done 100 times. Hereís how you get me now interested....

Funny the way it is
Seek Up
Stone
JTR
Gaucho
Busted stuff
Too much
You Never Know
Again & Again
Hello Again
Last Stop
Beach Ball
Pay for what you get
Idea of you
what would you say
Raven
Mother Father
Two Step
Snow Outside
Do You Remember
Tripping Billies
óóóó-
Lover Lay Down
Drunken Solider
Stay

One can dream
Hell, play 5 of those per night, rotating them in for shit like Jimi Thing and we're good.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #104
NiCK (Crush)

Next year not being an album tour should bode well for the sets.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #105
patsfan39

Also it looks like Jeff played clarinet as part of the orchestra last night. Rashawn posted a couple videos on Instagram and there he was in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #106
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Also it looks like Jeff played clarinet as part of the orchestra last night. Rashawn posted a couple videos on Instagram and there he was in the back.
Yes, he did.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #107
Mike VDH
Can we check the tweets Craig?

I'd be thrilled with this. This should be a possibility.

Pig
That Girl Is You
So Right
Again and Again
You Never Know
Tripping Billies
Samurai Cop
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Do You Remember
What Would You Say
Drive In Drive Out
Virginia In The Rain
Lie In Our Graves
Here On Out
Crush
The Idea of You
The Stone
--------------------
Black and Bluebird
Best Of What's Around
Recently
Old 09-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #108
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I heard clarinet on here on out
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #109
Derek
hi there

Eh I had a lot of fun last night. I don't go in with any expectations anymore given that I can usually only see 1 to 2 shows a year tops now. Having a orchestra playing right in front of me with my favorite band was something really special to see. Like everyone else has reiterated this tour, the band is playing really tight and succinctly for once in a really long time. Hopefully this bodes well for the future with further expanded sets.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #110
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Batson wasn’t on the set for Bayou, why I am added
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #111
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
I'd be thrilled with this. This should be a possibility.

Pig
That Girl Is You
So Right
Again and Again
You Never Know
Tripping Billies
Samurai Cop
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Do You Remember
What Would You Say
Drive In Drive Out
Virginia In The Rain
Lie In Our Graves
Here On Out
Crush
The Idea of You
The Stone
--------------------
Black and Bluebird
Best Of What's Around
Recently
Looks like a Gorge set.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #112
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Was it really though? We're all mostly older now. I used to go anywhere from 4-8 shows a tour. Now I go to SPAC and my local Toronto show. I highly enjoyed my shows. I don't geek out anymore, so all I'm looking for at this point is to have a fun night out and great annual trip to SPAC. I just don't care enough to call it bad. My wish was always to get the keys back. Boyd stunk and was asked to leave. So imo, what happened this summer was my best case scenario at this point. I had fun all 3 nights.
See but you're judging an entire tour, you can't just point to a couple of shows you had a good time at and say, "wasn't a bad tour." No one is saying they have a bad time--I went to Camden N2 and PNC this summer and enjoyed both (certainly PNC more so, Camden kinda sucked), but I'm not going to use that as a barometer when trying to look at a full blown tour objectively.

This tour was super stale, and the songs they did "bust out" were mainly ones none of us care about--Hunger, Stand Up, SAWG, Bayou etc. Just serious awful choices. That's the worst thing about Batson being involved with the last album was it reminded Dave that SU exists, and we just didn't need those songs killing the sets. Combine that with the new album which is full of mostly sub par material or songs that just don't translate very well live, and it's tough to take.

Also, the way 90% of shows this summer ended were absolutely dreadful runs, and the a lot of terrible encores overall. When you have a tour of 45 shows and you can only point to like 4-5 setlists that were "really good", that's NOT a good tour. Period.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #113
greykitkat36

Sam Cop - 39 times
Bayou - 30 times
That Girl Is You - 24 times
Jimi - 20 times
You And Me - 18 times
YMDT - 17 times
Sledgehammer -15 times
Funny - 15 times
Shake Me - 11 times
Sister- 10 times
Stand Up -10 times

All songs that should never be played that much on a tour, ever.

Songs that were played 3 times or LESS this summer:

Raven, Rhyme and Reason, Drive In Drive Out, Too Much, You Never Know, Proudest Monkey, Two Step, Bartender, The Stone, JTR, #34, Fool To Think, So Damn Lucky, What You Are, The Last Stop. That doesn't even include the long list of awesome songs that didn't get played AT ALL. 0 times.

That's why this tour sucks, plain and simple. Staggering numbers.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #114
Tomacco

I think the worst part of the tour was actually that they did bust out some awesome songs, but only played them 1-6 times or so. JTR, Last Stop, Grace, Raven, Captain, Pig, Stone, BOWA, BEF, Two Step, Bartender, YNK, Hello Again, DIDO, Recently, LLD, and #34 ALL GOT PLAYED this year, amazingly, but none of those songs will be what we remmeber the tour by because they were all so rare.

Fortunately, I got some of those at my three shows, and the entire shows were all performed amazingly, so that’s how I’m remembering the tour going forward.

But the biggest issues this tour were the repetition of already overplayed songs like OSW, WIA, Bayou, Y&M, Grey Street, Satellite, DDTW, Jimi and so forth. Plus, the shockingly repetitive openers, and generally mediocre encores.

Album tours yield less variety though. For an album tour, they were extremely reasonable about the amount of new songs per show at least. Other positives:
- Old songs were refreshed really nicely: LITHOG, Nancies, #41, Crush, Typical, Bartender, Etc. (Largely because of Buddy and lack of Boyd)
- songs went back to a normal jazzier pace, and Rashawn and Tim both became a lot more tasteful in their playing (ignoring Rashawn last night)
- I quite enjoyed all the covers this year a lot (Sledgehammer, TOTS, Superstition, Watchtower)
- SIRIUSXM!!!!!!! Seriously, the Friday concert series captured how good the band sounded all July and August, and really hit home the difference between watching the setlist and listening to the show live. Some of the shows released had mediocre sets, but they were still great to listen to Live.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #115
gweeps

Typical Situation is the MVP of the tour.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #116
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Other positives:
- Old songs were refreshed really nicely: LITHOG, Nancies, #41, Crush, Typical, Bartender, Etc. (Largely because of Buddy and lack of Boyd)
- songs went back to a normal jazzier pace, and Rashawn and Tim both became a lot more tasteful in their playing (ignoring Rashawn last night)
I agree with you for the most part about this, but honestly I didn't care for the LITHOG/ABI interpolation thing, it was cool the first time it happened but it got stale quick, it wasn't really that great, instead just took another really good Jeff solo away.

Songs like OSW, Grey St, etc. continue to be played loud and poor. And I didn't like Buddy's soloing over LIOG, would much prefer they had Jeff instead. Still too many Tim solos. As much as I love Tim, they need to mix in Jeff, Rashawn and Buddy more into the soloing realm. I feel that so many jams rely on Tim these days, and it just gets predictable and boring after a while. Like I wish that #41 could change a little more from night to night and not be Rashawn > Tim > ending every night. It wouldn't be that difficult to have it be Tim > Jeff > Ending or Jeff > Rashawn >Ending etc.

Also Rashawn spent most of the tour bitching on instagram how much his lips hurt during the tour. Did he have a serious injury? Or just has literally 0 stamina? He doesn't play THAT much on a given night. Chris Botti plays full shows the whole time on trumpet and seems perfectly fine. Someone should tell him that if he stopped trying to play the highest note possible on every song that maybe he'd save his chops a bunch.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:51 AM   #117
dmb2much40

I agree with everything tomacco said. For an album tour, this could have been worse. While not a memorable tour, they definitely took a step in the right direction with their sound.

And the Friday night concert series was pretty awesome, I’d pay for something like that next year.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #118
SeekUpAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Daveís jokes were on point last night
He really perfected them repeating them every show. Ha ha "Mitch Miller". Classic.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #119
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
I agree with everything tomacco said. For an album tour, this could have been worse. While not a memorable tour, they definitely took a step in the right direction with their sound.

And the Friday night concert series was pretty awesome, Iíd pay for something like that next year.
It's nice living in the future. 7 or 8 free* youtube and sirius shows compared to the old days of getting one per year, and if Dave's voice was wrecked that night, that's just unfortunate.

Generally I thought they sounded great and there was enough interesting in the sets to pay attention. But I think every year there's a bigger gap between how much we say things matter, and how much they actually do. When we had more time that we dedicated to listening to DMB whether it was because they were better or we didn't have Spotify or enough money to dedicated to listening to everything we could isn't really the point. They sounded much better, had the variety they have for every album tour, and took a massive step of removing unprofessionalism from the stage. With as many or as few exceptions from most tours, people who went to the shows had a great time and got their money's worth.

When you're not downloading every show, and I truly believe that if all of a sudden the sets were great, I don't believe even 10% are going back to downloading and listening to a ton of shows like we used to, that ship is way sailed, then the time you have at the show matters most.

I generally liked 2016 as a tour because the songs were better. That said 2018 was a massive step forward for me. It's just not back up the same path they came down. But it's also year 27, and I just saw Barenaked Ladies not come close to filling a 4k venue. They are doing a lot right.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #120
NiCK (Crush)

Well said.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc