These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #81
drh424s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Thatís cute, itís many of youís first album tour and first Hollywood Bowl show.

That they brought out a full orchestra is cool. I want to hear that. The rest of the show is pretty much what I expected.

As far as it being a shitty tour: its like folks have forgotten how much better they sound not having to continually cover up for Boyd.

Sounding better doesn't cover up shitty setlists for an entire tour either though
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #82
Rowsdower
TIMING FREE!

This tour was really bad.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #83
Josh.0

I don’t know if I think the tour was really bad because I generally agree that the band sounded better than they have in a really long time. Plus, Buddy was drinking from a fire hose the whole time so I feel like you have to take that into account.

But, with that said, they could have had Buddy learning better songs early and used his presence as an opportunity to cut back on the Grey Streets, Jimi’s, Bayou’s, etc of the world. They could have approaches the changes head on, but instead they chose to go a little too soft and safe pretty much all summer. I’ll always remember that the Colorado shows were laughably bad sets for a two night stop. There were just a few too many head-scratchers like that along the way this year.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #84
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

band sounded really great this year. tour was not super great due to song selection/rotation and the return of stand up songs (thanks mark!). also, buddy being so new probably limited the song selections. if he's around next tour, i'm pretty confident they'll go deeper and have a wider variety of songs.
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #85
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I think there's room for improvement and hope for the future. This tour, though, is a stark reminder that this isn't the same band most of us fell in love with and it never will be again.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #86
SeekUpAB

Looks like a festival set. Terrible.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #87
gweeps

Looking forward to hearing the orchestra songs. Shame Rashawn does his usual nonsense on Come On Come On.

It's like during the encore break Dave remembered they hadn't yet played Samurai Cop.

I'm surprised no Thank You. I'm happy When I'm Weary finally was played. Neat that Why I Am was the last DMB song in the show. But Two Step obviously would've been better.

Out of the 94 full songs played this tour, only 40 of them were played 10 times or more. 15 of those 40 were played 20 times or more.

I'm still surprised we didn't get The Dreaming Tree and If Only.

And I'm still amazed how Rooftop was the only Away from the World song played, twice, this tour. I don't think any album has ever been given quite the shafting Aftw has. It's one of their better albums, too. Certainly better than the latest.

Thanks to all the tapers, of the auds and streams. You folks are marvellous!
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #88
Rowsdower
TIMING FREE!

Also no Loving Wings this year; first time it has skipped a year since its debut. No Halloween was odd too.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #89
gweeps

Yeah, I'm also surprised not at least one Loving Wings. Could've been, ahem, lovely with the orchestra.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #90
Josh.0

I’m okay with no Halloween. They needed to pull back on that a bit, it’d been making a few too many appearances over the last five years IMO. That one’s most special when it comes out of left field.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #91
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I think there's room for improvement and hope for the future. This tour, though, is a stark reminder that this isn't the same band most of us fell in love with and it never will be again.
They're not, but we're also older, and not in a stage of life where we'll get as geeked out about this stuff.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #92
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I donít know if I think the tour was really bad because I generally agree that the band sounded better than they have in a really long time. Plus, Buddy was drinking from a fire hose the whole time so I feel like you have to take that into account.

But, with that said, they could have had Buddy learning better songs early and used his presence as an opportunity to cut back on the Grey Streets, Jimiís, Bayouís, etc of the world. They could have approaches the changes head on, but instead they chose to go a little too soft and safe pretty much all summer. Iíll always remember that the Colorado shows were laughably bad sets for a two night stop. There were just a few too many head-scratchers like that along the way this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post
band sounded really great this year. tour was not super great due to song selection/rotation and the return of stand up songs (thanks mark!). also, buddy being so new probably limited the song selections. if he's around next tour, i'm pretty confident they'll go deeper and have a wider variety of songs.
Now these two are reasonable takes on this tour.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #93
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

While I’m sad it’s not the same band anymore, credit where credit is due:

-Buddy had a lot of shit to learn. But for this pay and opportunity I cannot blame this fact for the sets getting bland as hell. I mostly blame Dave.
-I love Boyd in theory, but he’s been personally embarrassing to me as a fan for years. A lot of musical improvements in his absence.
-The band sounded and looked better this year, despite a lack of set creativity. I had fun at my show during the July run that was unquestionably the peak of the tour (sorry to greykitkatSPAC-out on that one)
-Against my better judgement, I’m excited to see if they’ll dive deeper into the catalog with Buddy next year. Again, I’m fairly certain he’s not holding back better set choices, but Dave has to get used to the new sound, too!
-Decent album tour. Would’ve liked more IOY/BBB/Virginia/bkdk-tease performances and less CT/HOO/TGIY but c’est la vie.

Things I don’t understand:

-I know Dave feels differently about his own tunes than we do (duh). BUT, how does he consistently drop the ball after Gorge year after year with what this community would mostly agree is mailed-in dreck? I can’t imagine HE considers those sets mailed-in, but how does he fall into this pattern of stocking sets with all the overplayed and bottom-tier selections from the tour (not to mention throwing in ZERO surprises or set creativity)?? I know folks with say “he’s got his eyes on home,” but c’mon man, you still have to stand up there and work for 2 hours a night, you may as well toss a few bones.
-Rashawn: improvement on the number of cringey moments this tour (and some downright tasteful spots). However, he still seems to pick some odd moments to squeal like a pig during slaughter (see the orchestra spots in Squirm last night, Grey St, etc). I just don’t understand building every crescendo to the highest, most offensive note in the register. Doesn’t have to be that way.
-AFTW is a solid album (save the middle run). Why the hell would he COMPLETELY abandon it?! And to bring back terrible SU stuff, no less. Love him as I do, I will never understand that man’s taste in music. I would be nervous to play his personal itunes playlist at a party.

I know it was an album tour and I’m excited (and nervous) to see what of it they mix in to a normal tour next year. Overall, a pretty bland tour in terms of setlists, but a really solid tour musically.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #94
TDunk

Rough looking set but expected
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #95
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

They really need to revamp their closer spots. Ants and Rapunzel are not working. Play Billies
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #96
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
They really need to revamp their closer spots. Ants and Rapunzel are not working. Play Billies
This has always been a beef of mine. So many songs that can be used as set or encore closers. And openers, for that matter.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #97
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
This has always been a beef of mine. So many songs that can be used as set or encore closers. And openers, for that matter.
Yep. Some will obviously work better than others but change it up a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #98
Feathered
oh shit!

I really can’t believe that AFTW died out. That’s the most surprising thing about this whole tour for me.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #99
SomeDevil17

Maybe it’s time time for me to move but still my main complaint is setlist variety. No reason we can’t get mixed up sets every night. Buddy or not, these guys are pros and can learn songs quick. Their catalog of tunes is huge and it just seems like the same shit gets beaten into the ground every night. I understand you have your staple songs (ants, jimi, everyday, billies, grey st, bayou lol) but you have to really switch it up and I think that is what a lot of us are missing. This has been on going for quite sometime though. I haven’t been to a show since 2015, I am sure everyone still has a great time when they go and it’s fun but just watching from home I get why so many people are negative on here.

And just because I love doing it, even though it’s been done 100 times. Here’s how you get me now interested....

Funny the way it is
Seek Up
Stone
JTR
Gaucho
Busted stuff
Too much
You Never Know
Again & Again
Hello Again
Last Stop
Beach Ball