7 43 35.54%
8 21 17.36%
9 2 1.65%
10 0 0%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #81
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesthecat View Post
People placing this album above BW blows my fucking mind
They're both similar discs -- they have some highs that they hit (Squirm, LITHOG), some songs that are good and get failed by shitty production in studio (WIA), and some outright turds (Dive In, Time Bomb, Baby Blue).

I'll accept a take that one or the other is slightly better, but they're both about the same level of DMB for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #82
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
They're both similar discs -- they have some highs that they hit (Squirm, LITHOG), some songs that are good and get failed by shitty production in studio (WIA), and some outright turds (Dive In, Time Bomb, Baby Blue).

I'll accept a take that one or the other is slightly better, but they're both about the same level of DMB for me.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #83
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I agree with that. Iíd add that while BW hangs together better as an album, there isnít anything on BW that I like as much as the best songs on the new one.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #84
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I agree with that. I’d add that while BW hangs together better as an album, there isn’t anything on BW that I like as much as the best songs on the new one.
As an album -- listening from front to back -- BW has a clearer idea about what it is. Part of that is the way the disc is bookended, and the other part is the narrative that we all know about the process of making the album. It wears its influences on its sleeve (LeRoi's death, New Orleans recording, etc.). But, I don't know you can give the album credit for that, since your appreciation of those aspects depends on you seeking out the backstory or having been part of it while following the band while they struggled to put the disc out.

By design, this latest record is a collection of unrelated ideas. You can view that as a negative, I suppose -- but for a band that has been built around the live experience, where you never show up and get an "album" or "theme" to any show you're at, it seems like that would be the lowest of priorities for people listening to a disc.

The pertinent question with any DMB album is "How many of these songs do I want to hear at a show?" From that standpoint, AFTW, BW and CT are around the same quality.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #85
Bluewater34
Is Old

I don’t really agree with that completely. Of course DMB is more about the live experience, but as true as that is, their albums, regardless of their overall quality (and probably leaving aside BS) have always felt like cohesive whole statements to me. And several of them are quite good or even great when viewed through that lens. Being someone who values a well-crafted album, the fact that CT fails in that regard, by design or not, is a strike against it in my book.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #86
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

So, because I'm bored at work -- here's my ranking of DMB albums based on a binary "Would I want to hear this song at a show or not" percentage.

UTTAD: 92%
Crash: 92%
BTCS: 90%
Busted Stuff: 82%
Everyday: 75%
AFTW: 64%
Come Tomorrow: 62%
BW: 50%
Stand Up: 35%

Quote:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #87
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

Man, people's opinions on ED over the years has certainly evolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #88
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSession v2.0 View Post
I'm getting shit for loving Come Tomorrow - which is fine, I can take it. But the fact that so many people praise Everyday now baffles me. If I was saying that about Everyday people would have my ass on here

I don't outright hate it like I do Stand Up, but no thank you.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #89
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Quote:
The disc aged well for me, TBH.

I was listening to it a few months back on a long drive and I remember thinking "I can't believe how much I hated this when it came out."

Quote:
Old 06-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #90
dandtrock

Quote:
I think the mediocre to bad song writing on bw, su, and aftw has helped it. Also many of the songs have become fan favorites live over the years. In its day we had no idea how mediocre the albums were going to be in the future.
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #91
swimdmb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelino View Post
Biggest surprise for me is that I don't hate Can't Stop.
This. I really like the music behind Canít Stop. Lyrically eh....but when listening to it after the girl picks up the phone and says hello and then you get Canít Stop all I can think of is Dave calling up someone, drunk in the middle of the night and singing this to her...all creepy like
swimdmb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #92
swimdmb27

I also feel that they left a lot of room in about 1/2 the songs to explore live which could either turn out nice
swimdmb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #93
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdmb27 View Post
This. I really like the music behind Canít Stop. Lyrically eh....but when listening to it after the girl picks up the phone and says hello and then you get Canít Stop all I can think of is Dave calling up someone, drunk in the middle of the night and singing this to her...all creepy like

...but that might make me like it more.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #94
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
I'm getting shit for loving Come Tomorrow - which is fine, I can take it. But the fact that so many people praise Everyday now baffles me. If I was saying that about Everyday people would have my ass on here

I don't outright hate it like I do Stand Up, but no thank you.
I've said this before, but the best thing to happen to ED was Stand Up.

Depending on if you were around or not when the LWS fiasco happened and ED dropped probably has something to do with people viewing it better. I don't think there is a ton of praise though for ED.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #95
SeekUpAB

With the accent the woman on the phone must be...Julia Grey! Add Can't Stop to the list!
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #96
KerwinMcgee
Behind The Mask

As a whole, Its better than Stand Up, Everyday and AFTW IMO
It's hovering in the Big whiskey territory right now for me as far as rankings go
Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #97
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

I gotta listen again I guess, I am baffled how anyone could rank this higher than AFTW.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #98
KerwinMcgee
Behind The Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I gotta listen again I guess, I am baffled how anyone could rank this higher than AFTW.

AFTW technically has better SONGS, but there's something about that album that just seems uninspired and flat to me. Dave and the production sounds a lot more alive on this album. This album is just more fun to listen to IMO
Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #99
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerwinMcgee View Post
AFTW technically has better SONGS, but there's something about that album that just seems uninspired and flat to me. Dave and the production sounds a lot more alive on this album. This album is just more fun to listen to IMO
Agreed. I think AFTW, BW and Come Tomorrow will always rotate in terms of which is the better album, but they'll be closely linked in my list for a long time.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #100
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerwinMcgee View Post
Dave and the production sounds a lot more alive on this album. This album is just more fun to listen to IMO
This for me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc