Loving the album

Middle age’d
mattinmass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #9102
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

24/48 FLAC for sale at HDTracks

[Only registered users can see links.]

dobyblue - do you know if the vinyl was cut from 24/48 or are these probably questionable upsamples? HDTracks is usually pretty legit with their quality control though, right?
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #9103
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Early thoughts:

Why did they do that stupid live intro/awkward cut in Idea of You? The studio version of it afterwards is nailed too. Anthemic. Would have been their best single probably since Space Between. They overthought that.

Virginia in the Rain is my stand out track so far. Fonz has such a great groove and the lyrics actually have gotten stuck in my head. The line "forever doesn't seem long enough" is just perfect.

Can't Stop is.... better than I thought it'd be? I hadn't listened to any of the '18 live versions yet. It's not a stand out by any stretch, and probably could have just faded out with the "Feed the beast" part, though I do like the noodling at the very, very end.

Not sure what to make of CoCo and When I'm Weary yet.

That Girl Is You upsets me less in the context of the album than on it's own, so that's something?

Overall, first impressions are more positive than I thought they'd be.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #9104
Minarets
so damn interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Loving the album

Middle age’d

I'm with ya
Old 06-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #9105
mrpeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
24/48 FLAC for sale at HDTracks

[Only registered users can see links.]

dobyblue - do you know if the vinyl was cut from 24/48 or are these probably questionable upsamples? HDTracks is usually pretty legit with their quality control though, right?
Raymond (red)ington is offering a nice bounty for this as well, if anyone needs a nice ratio boost!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #9106
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Early thoughts:

Why did they do that stupid live intro/awkward cut in Idea of You? The studio version of it afterwards is nailed too. Anthemic. Would have been their best single probably since Space Between. They overthought that.

Virginia in the Rain is my stand out track so far. Fonz has such a great groove and the lyrics actually have gotten stuck in my head. The line "forever doesn't seem long enough" is just perfect.

Can't Stop is.... better than I thought it'd be? I hadn't listened to any of the '18 live versions yet. It's not a stand out by any stretch, and probably could have just faded out with the "Feed the beast" part, though I do like the noodling at the very, very end.

Not sure what to make of CoCo and When I'm Weary yet.

That Girl Is You upsets me less in the context of the album than on it's own, so that's something?

Overall, first impressions are more positive than I thought they'd be.
Bill, what do you think of Do You Remember?
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #9107
Fan#41

Quote:
Loving the album

Middle age’d
I think we've all been Kareem Pie'd on this one.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #9108
mrpeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Early thoughts:

Apparently a tribute from Dave to the fans for all of the love they have given the song over the years. That part isn't so bad. The second transition is the one that gets me. Sounds like 2 different takes spliced together.

I bet you a guy like Copperpot who is fantastic with iZotope RX could isolate the crowd noise and remove it. It's the second transition at 1:35 that makes it really awkward. Seems like the first 1:35 are from a live version, but mixed without anything other than the instruments and vocal mic sources, and then the true "studio" take begins.

Agree it's a fantastic studio cut otherwise. Just keeps it from being perfection.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #9109
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
From that producers video...

That’s the core problem with producers who don’t know how to produce DMB. When Cavello said “they jammed for 8 hours, and I said that’s cool and all but let’s turn them into 5-7 minute jams fellas” DMB isn’t that kind of band. When you ask them to be that band you get everyday/stand up type stuff. Lillywhite knew this band was better at making songs from jamming. It not only forced creativity by making them find something truly unique it made Dave’s lyrics better because he would scat/hum/mumble over things to find a basic melody. Now he doesn’t do that. He writes the lyrics sometimes first or stretches them to fit so you get songs like DYR and TGIY. AFTW, I believe wasn’t a jam record, and I don’t think that’s really LW’s fault. I believe the band stuck to the 5-8 minute concept and that was a mistake. I truly believe if you pair them together again and let them jam for hours, there’s a chance you’d get top 3 material but it won’t ever happen. Pipe dream.
Yup. Lillywhite would just produce.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #9110
Fan#41

Every now and then Dave's vocals leading into the final chorus of IOY gives me chills, just happened again after another listen to the studio cut.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #9111
Marcelino

Quote:
Loving the album

Middle age’d
Old Ballz
Marcelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #9112
mrpeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I wish it was as bad ass on the record as it is live! I hope we get a Youtube of this one like we did That Girl Is You.

It is also a GREAT song to open a show, and the FILAMENT animation they play on the screens is super cool.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #9113
Fan#41

And I guess I'm just not hearing the awkwardness others are in the transition from live to studio for IOY. It's sounds totaly fine to me and not the first time a band or artsist has done this.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #9114
mrpeters

Quote:
Every now and then Dave's vocals leading into the final chorus of IOY gives me chills, just happened again after another listen to the studio cut.
other than That Girl (which I think may be intentional) his vocals are fantastic on the record.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #9115
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
I wish it was as bad ass on the record as it is live! I hope we get a Youtube of this one like we did That Girl Is You.

It is also a GREAT song to open a show, and the FILAMENT animation they play on the screens is super cool.
Shut up Mike, I didn't ask you.

Kidding. I actually like a lot more in the studio, it just feels tighter and less abrasive, if that makes any sense.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #9116
Marcelino

Sorry, but this album is on a different level than the last two albums. Not even close IMO.
Marcelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #9117
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
I love it, though I've loved the live versions too. The "making love in the backseat" line doesn't fit with the rest of the song being about being so much younger, but otherwise I love it.

That and Black and Blue Bird I thought they did justice too in the studio.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #9118
mrpeters

Quote:
Shut up Mike, I didn't ask you.

Kidding. I actually like a lot more in the studio, it just feels tighter and less abrasive, if that makes any sense.
It does make sense! Someone here said this song just reminded them of all of the years of good times they've had with DMB, and I thought that really hit the nail on the head.

I've only gotten to hear it live once, but having it open at Blossom it just felt perfect in that slot. I was with my best friend back to the days of Tiger Scouts for my birthday and the way Dave sang, along with the little extra bit Buddy added really topped it off.

I'm beyond thrilled with what we got here. Could it have been better with Shotgun, Break Free, Bismarck, Crazy Easy? Of course, but so could have the last 3 albums!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #9119
gweeps

Come On Come On is the anthem of the album. The Drunken Soldier as it were. A straightforward lyric backed by a propulsive melody that sweeps around and makes you feel great while doing so.

Did Mark Batson produce this one?

gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #9120
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelino View Post
Sorry, but this album is on a different level than the last two albums. Not even close IMO.
Correct

Forget about the production etc - these songs are just better
mattinmass is online now   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc