These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
abw123

Here is another new song (clip)

[Only registered users can see links.]

I like this one even more than the one on Rolling Stone.

Very excited for that disc AND new Gaslight next summer as well.

BEST band.
abw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
FiddySpence
TDCya

new song

[Only registered users can see links.]
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #23
mja271

I loved that one the first time I heard it and that sbd is sick
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #24
abw123

One week until the Horrible Crowes album comes out. Can't wait.

I am always trying to push these guys onto people, I think their music is very accessible (for a band that the critics also dig). I want them to be more famous than they are.

Anyway, the other day I gave a buddy 5 tunes to try and get him into the band and all I realized all 5 were from American Slang. And '59 Sound has been pretty much my favorite disc of the past 10 years.....

Starting to think (possible blasphemy) that American Slang is as good, or better than '59 Sound. More diverse album, maybe? I definitely didn't feel that way when it first came out. It snuck up on me a little bit.

Discuss?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
dmb726525
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw123 View Post

I am always trying to push these guys onto people, I think their music is very accessible (for a band that the critics also dig). I want them to be more famous than they are.
Anyway, the other day I gave a buddy 5 tunes to try and get him into the band and all I realized all 5 were from American Slang. And '59 Sound has been pretty much my favorite disc of the past 10 years.....

Starting to think (possible blasphemy) that American Slang is as good, or better than '59 Sound. More diverse album, maybe? I definitely didn't feel that way when it first came out. It snuck up on me a little bit.

Discuss?
Over the course of nine months, I saw them go from playing the Court Tavern in New Brunswick (pretty much a basement hometown show) to selling out Radio City

They've gotten plenty big
dmb726525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #26
FiddySpence
TDCya

yep and only getting bigger

Quote:

Discuss?
Sink Or Swim is still their best album
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
abw123

I don't know about plenty big. Maybe in NY/NJ.

Their albums still haven't sold much and when they played here (Dallas) they sold maybe 200-300 tickets. Maybe less.

I'd like to see them in the same zone the Hold Steady are in. Selling out 1500 seat clubs everywhere, making some money, critical love, and most importantly, likely to stay together making music for a very long time.....

I thought that bump would come with American Slang but now I wonder if they'll ever get there. They get a ton of love from critics but much less so commercially. They deserve to be bigger than they are. Not sure they're ever going to have that big radio hit they may need (see Leon, Kings of) to move up.

I'm curious what everyone's favorite Gaslight song is. Pretty tough to choose.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
I don't know about plenty big. Maybe in NY/NJ.

Their albums still haven't sold much and when they played here (Dallas) they sold maybe 200-300 tickets. Maybe less.

I'd like to see them in the same zone the Hold Steady are in. Selling out 1500 seat clubs everywhere, making some money, critical love, and most importantly, likely to stay together making music for a very long time.....

I thought that bump would come with American Slang but now I wonder if they'll ever get there. They get a ton of love from critics but much less so commercially. They deserve to be bigger than they are. Not sure they're ever going to have that big radio hit they may need (see Leon, Kings of) to move up.

I'm curious what everyone's favorite Gaslight song is. Pretty tough to choose.
give 'em time, i've heard American Slang on the radio a few times and critical praise aside they get more exposure than The Hold Steady does. i fully expect them to eclipse THS as far as mainstream popularity goes. Hold Steady has gotten about as big as they're going to get, as much as they might dream/aspire to be an arena band they're just too polarizing and off putting to people with the vocals and the white hood life subject matter of their music. Gaslight has a much more accessible sound.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #29
FiddySpence
TDCya

and my favorite Gaslight song is 1930. second might be Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts but still 1930 by a country mile.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
FiddySpence
TDCya

Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #31
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
Sink Or Swim is still their best album
I disagree, but I really think all three of them are great. I think The '59 Sound is their best. Either way, really stoked for the new one whenever that comes, b/c I've yet to be disappointed by them at all. And yes 1930 is a hell of a song.
Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #32
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I disagree, but I really think all three of them are great. I think The '59 Sound is their best. Either way, really stoked for the new one whenever that comes, b/c I've yet to be disappointed by them at all. And yes 1930 is a hell of a song.
pretty much all of my favorite songs are on Sink Or Swim. i hope they remember they used to be a punk rock band on their next album.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #33
mja271

See I have a bit of a different feeling than that. I really like SoS but feel that the EP and 59 Sound showed a really good musical progression to a style that I prefer more. American Slang could have used a bit more balls at times, even though it's a great album. I wouldn't mind a return to a bit more of the punk rock for diversity, but I'm content with the path their on. The next album will definitely be a crossroads in some ways though. American Slang was more or less an extension of 59 Sound. So now it's time to see if they will be a band that sticks to the comfort zone, or steps out there and goes for it. I'm excited to see what they come up with.
Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #34
FiddySpence
TDCya

oh i'm confident that they'll be great at whatever direction they decide to head down, i just hope there's at least a few aggressive songs left in them.

i don't see American Slang as an extension of '59 Sound at all, to be honest, and it was their crossroads album to me. SoS and '59 were more or less just stitching together their influences into songs full of references to other songs. they're great, but American Slang felt like their true first fully original piece of work instead of just a patchwork of brian's favorite moments from his cd collection.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #35
mja271

Quote:
oh i'm confident that they'll be great at whatever direction they decide to head down, i just hope there's at least a few aggressive songs left in them.

i don't see American Slang as an extension of '59 Sound at all, to be honest, and it was their crossroads album to me. SoS and '59 were more or less just stitching together their influences into songs full of references to other songs. they're great, but American Slang felt like their true first fully original piece of work instead of just a patchwork of brian's favorite moments from his cd collection.
Hmm interesting thought. I could definitely buy into that. I guess sonically and stylistically it reminded me of 59 Sound, but from a lyrical standpoint it definitely ventures down a different path now that I think about it. Either way I love the band. They are one of those awesome groups right now where I really can enjoy pretty much every song in their catalog.
Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #36
abw123

Quote:
and my favorite Gaslight song is 1930. second might be Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts but still 1930 by a country mile.
1930 is solid as a rock but doesn't make my top 10. Off that album, We Came To Dance and Divorce/Diner are my faves.

Best song overall is really tough. Right now I'd probably say Bring It On or Diamond Street Choir, and She Loves You really speaks to me too.

I think out of 3.5 albums they really only have maybe 2 songs I don't think are great. Not a huge fan of Red In Morning or When We Were Young. But they're not BAD songs.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #37
FiddySpence
TDCya

1930 is lyrically the best thing Brian's ever put down.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #38
abw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
See I have a bit of a different feeling than that. I really like SoS but feel that the EP and 59 Sound showed a really good musical progression to a style that I prefer more. American Slang could have used a bit more balls at times, even though it's a great album. I wouldn't mind a return to a bit more of the punk rock for diversity, but I'm content with the path their on. The next album will definitely be a crossroads in some ways though. American Slang was more or less an extension of 59 Sound. So now it's time to see if they will be a band that sticks to the comfort zone, or steps out there and goes for it. I'm excited to see what they come up with.
Agree with most of this. SoS is fucking great and definitely rocks harder, but I think overall is less original/unique than the 2 albums that followed. The lead guitar sound in particular really changed after SoS. They are much more rootsy/soulful/steeped in classic rock influences now, to my ears, and I sorta think that's what makes them special. But I'll take a bruising punk rocker or two on the new disc too.

I think American Slang is more diverse than 59 Sound, but those 2 albums sound like the same band. SoS is quite a bit different.

Whatever they do next, I have very little doubt it will be fucking outstanding.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
FiddySpence
TDCya

i'd switch teams for brian fallon
Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #40
abw123

It pisses me off that I can't get my asshat friends into this band. I honestly feel like anyone who likes good music would like these guys if they gave it a chance. ANYONE. It's not a tough sell.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc