These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #221
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
I don't remember Boyd being muted or turned down until the last couple years though. I could be wrong though.
it really wasn't noticed until that Black Jack video came out. it may have happened prior to that, but i really think this is a recent thing.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #222
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
These discussions are interesting for the fact that they come up every year and the same thing is said; "for the last few years Boyd has been terrible, he should go". He's had problems since 1998. There were hints in '97. So this isn't anything new. Yeah, we all get that he should be better, have gotten better, whatever, but it's not like this is some revelation. DMB is a horn-heavy band now anyway so the large focus on Boyd's contributions have dwindled dramatically over the last 4 years.
It's much worse now. Undeniable.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #223
paratroopin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
I don't remember Boyd being muted or turned down until the last couple years though. I could be wrong though.
This. If you watch a Mercy video it is the same deal - maybe he is on the studio version?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #224
FiddySpence
TDCya

when boyd actually plays, wrong parts or not, i don't think he actually sounds AS bad as he did in some of those shows in 98 and 99. i mean, he was playing his parts and what not but it could make ears bleed.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #225
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratroopin View Post
This. If you watch a Mercy video it is the same deal - maybe he is on the studio version?
I know, I had no idea he played on Mercy until I saw the youtube video posted here today.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #226
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
when boyd actually plays, wrong parts or not, i don't think he actually sounds AS bad as he did in some of those shows in 98 and 99. i mean, he was playing his parts and what not but it could make ears bleed.
Agreed.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #227
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
while the boyd bashing has been going on since he really shit the bed in '98, i feel like actually wishing for him to leave has been a fairly new thing. post roi's death actually when people realized they could still listen to the band sans an original member.

Well the thing is, the Boyd bashing hasn't been going since 1998. It's been a heavy subject since about 2004. And when those discussions started, much like how they are today, there's a complete lack of memory on the part of so many that Boyd has had problems for a long time. He was an integral part of the band's rise in popularity during the club and theater days and was great for the first few years the band started playing Amphitheaters but that's what...the first 6 years of the band's existence, and for the rest of that time he's been hit-or-miss, downright awful, with a few stretches of shows where's fantastic but like I said, now it's like it almost doesn't even matter because it's become a bit more of a horn-heavy band and direction that he's barely noticeable anymore. I'm not defending him or wishing his departure, rather just saying there's more to someone's displeasure with the band if their excuse is strictly Boyd since his additions have been so minimal fo so many years now.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #228
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
It's much worse now. Undeniable.
Then you've never listened to any 1998 shows other than the popular December shows.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #229
TheSniper26

Quote:
These discussions are interesting for the fact that they come up every year and the same thing is said; "for the last few years Boyd has been terrible, he should go". He's had problems since 1998. There were hints in '97. So this isn't anything new. Yeah, we all get that he should be better, have gotten better, whatever, but it's not like this is some revelation. DMB is a horn-heavy band now anyway so the large focus on Boyd's contributions have dwindled dramatically over the last 4 years.
It could be argued that they're a "horn heavy band" now specifically because they're not getting quality input from their violin player though. That's the problem I have with Boyd. He basically brings nothing to the table at this point. It's a wasted instrument that might actually bring a lot of quality material if it was in the hands of someone that gave a shit.
TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #230
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Well the thing is, the Boyd bashing hasn't been going since 1998. It's been a heavy subject sing about 2004. And when those discussions started, much like how they are today, there's a complete lack of memory on the part of so many that Boyd has had problems for a long time. He was an integral part of the band's rise in popularity during the club and theater days and was great for the first few years the band started playing Amphitheaters but that's what...the first 6 years of the band's existence, and for the rest of that time he's been hit-or-miss, downright awful, with a few stretches of shows where's fantastic but like I said, now it's like it almost doesn't even matter because it's become a bit more of a horn-heavy band and direction that he's barely noticeable anymore. I'm not defending him or wishing his departure, rather just saying there's more to someone's displeasure with the band if their excuse is strictly Boyd since his additions have been so minimal fo so many years now.
yeah i agree with all of this. like i said earlier, if he stays or goes it really doesn't matter. they've long stopped being an acoustic based band that had a major violin presence. he's basically the novelty musician now.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #231
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Then you've never listened to any 1998 shows other than the popular December shows.
or the infamous Graves from Gorge '99
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #232
paratroopin

It is mainly a huge bummer. I go to shows but rarely listen to current tapes anymore because I prefer the "classic sound" or whatever. But if Boyd was still decent and played his parts it would make a world of difference. Just a bummer is all.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #233
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
It could be argued that they're a "horn heavy band" now specifically because they're not getting quality input from their violin player though. That's the problem I have with Boyd. He basically brings nothing to the table at this point. It's a wasted instrument that might actually bring a lot of quality material if it was in the hands of someone that gave a shit.
ehh, maybe that plays a small part in it but it was roi's desire to have a horn section and so that's been building slowly since 2005.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #234
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Agreed; I think it'd be hard to argue that the emphasis on other aspects of the band doesn't spring from Boyd's disinterest.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #235
mja271

It just blows my mind that he doesn't even know or seem to care about relearning parts to the songs. It's your fucking job. You're going to be on tour for months, have some goddamn pride at the very least. I've played shows at bars where I've done 30 covers in a night and learned half of them within a week or two of the show. It's really not that fucking difficult, especially when it's A) music you wrote, and B) your job to play it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #236
paratroopin

Quote:
yeah i agree with all of this. like i said earlier, if he stays or goes it really doesn't matter. they've long stopped being an acoustic based band that had a major violin presence. he's basically the novelty musician now.
I agree with that, but Boyd and Tim meshed pretty well in Fall 98 (yep, 14 years ago, but whatever) - the electric sound and Boyd can still sound okay. But I still think Boyd is so far gone and isn't coming back.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #237
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
No you are trying to give us a history lesson that we already know. Everybody knows that Boyd has had his rough patches but he's always rebounded in some way. However, those rough patches haven't typically included forgetting parts signature parts and completely blowing off albums. He's been on the downslide since 2008. This isn't another rough patch. It's time for him to hang it up.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #238
Fan#41

Quote:
I only disagree with this because Boyd had some, at the time, what seemed to be important additions and contributions to the 2004 songs but when that was scrapped for Stand Up, and Rashawn was brought on board at the end of 2005, it's like there was a conscious effort to drive the music towards the horn section just as a quick diversion away from the poor material they had just created with SU. I just think it was easier for the band to incorporate and overlaying horn structure on songs like Idea Of You and it was something they felt comfortable in. I'm not saying you're wrong, who knows the core reason for that change in direction but to me it just seemed like it was an attempt to quickly push away from the drudgery sound they fell into in 2005.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #239
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I mean he came out right out the doors on the first night of the tour and couldn't even pluck the parts to BEF correctly.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #240
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
No you are trying to give us a history lesson that we already know. Everybody knows that Boyd has had his rough patches but he's always rebounded in some way. However, those rough patches haven't typically included forgetting parts signature parts and completely blowing off albums. He's been on the downslide since 2008. This isn't another rough patch. It's time for him to hang it up.
dude, '98 and '99 were almost entirely shit as far as boyd is concerned. that's two full years. 2003, even the second half, was an entire year of shit. yes, this has been the worst. but you're exaggerating it a bit.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc