These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #201
celluloid hero

Welp...

We were short on players coming in, dug ourselves a hole, fought valiantly when all was completely already lost and came up just short, while losing key players to injury.

Every Arsenal full season that I've been a fan encapsulated in one hour and fifty minutes.

As an Arsenal and Bengal fan, why do I forward to fall sports starting again every season?
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #202
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Welp...

We were short on players coming in, dug ourselves a hole, fought valiantly when all was completely already lost and came up just short, while losing key players to injury.

Every Arsenal full season that I've been a fan encapsulated in one hour and fifty minutes.

As an Arsenal and Bengal fan, why do I forward to fall sports starting again every season?
I haven't paid to much attention to Arsenal this off-season, why were they short players? Injuries? Haven't made any moves in the transfer window?

It's probably time for a change in management. Wenger has proven that his philosophy will keep them competitive but never consistently dominant enough to challenge on all fronts.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #203
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfice6 View Post
I haven't paid to much attention to Arsenal this off-season, why were they short players? Injuries? Haven't made any moves in the transfer window?

It's probably time for a change in management. Wenger has proven that his philosophy will keep them competitive but never consistently dominant enough to challenge on all fronts.
Euros hurt us. We had several players make it pretty far. Ramsey and Alexis just got back into training and played one friendly, Ramsey had his annual hammy problem during the match a few weeks early. Koscielny, Ozil and Giroud all returned to training last week.

The most negligent, however, was at centerback. Mertesacker is getting older and slower. We signed Gabriel a year and a half ago, and he's average. We knew that we were short and needed to sign a CB for the future. Then Mertesacker injured a knee ligament in July out until February, which meant we were desperate for reinforcements. We did the guy for the future, Rob Holding a Bolton 20 year old who plays for England under-21s, but no senior player. Koscielny just started training last week and is not ready, maybe not this week either. So the manager in the last friendly played Gabriel the full 90, with Holding in the first half and Chambers in the second half to see the better pairing until Kosc was ready and on the last kick of the game Gabriel severely sprained his ankle and is out 6 - 8 weeks. So zero experience at CB, we started Holding and Calum Chambers vs. Liverpool who has 2 matches of senior experience at the position.

We have been linked with centerbacks for a month including Skhrodan Mustafi from Valencia, who I don't know much about, but plays for Germany and is allegedly a great fit if you ask the pundits. We've needed him since Mert got hurt and instead Wenger hems and haws looking for the best discount, while our ineptness in the market and the compounding injuries keep driving up the prices. This should have happened last Monday after Gabriel got hurt at the worst, and it's criminal that it hasn't happened today to give this guy a chance to meld in the with the team.

Holding did as well as you could have expected, but Coutinho suckered him into a cheap foul at the top of the box in first half stoppage and he obviously curled in the equalizer, and everyone on the defense was scorched by Mane all match. Just awful and for Wenger to come out of season saying we were short in the back, then to say we were short and he was looking for players when Mert got hurt, and again when Gabriel got hurt, then to say after the match we paid for our inexperience at the end... it's makes me want to punch him and I am a Wenger guy for the most part.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #204
celluloid hero

4 days later, still no signing.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #206
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
4 days later, still no signing.
25 Million pounds for Johnny Evans....if Wenger pays that, he deserves to be fired immediately.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #207
celluloid hero

Quote:
25 Million pounds for Johnny Evans....if Wenger pays that, he deserves to be fired immediately.
That's part of the problem. He griped about the prices back we only just needed a defender. Once we lost Mertesacker, the prices went up because everyone knows we're desperate. Then we lost Gabriel, and we're straight up screwed if anything happens to Koscielny, who has been rushed back from the Euros. So the prices have gone up even further for us. Now as the window is closing and we're determined to get a player, a guy like Mustafi who was rumored (aka means nothing) as 20 - 25m before Gabriel got hurt is now 45 - 50m, and Jonny Evans is 25m. I think Wenger sees the money trouble that Valencia are in and it's a standoff over Mustafi. They need money badly as they're deeply in the debt, so he thinks they will be reasonable at the last second and take 25 - 30m. I don't know. I have no other explanation.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #208
celluloid hero

Pretty kind draws for the Gunners the last two days. Away at Nottingham in the EFL Cup, though we play mostly youngsters, lost by three goals and injuries to the only three starters we played in last year's third round at Sheffield Wed, so maybe I should shut up, and our group draw for the Champions League is PSG, Basel and Ludogorets.

I'll take it. PSG are obviously good, but they aren't Real or Barca, especially with Zlatan gone.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #209
celluloid hero

Going to Arsenal v Swansea today and Southampton v Burnley tomorrow. We have been horrible vs. the Swans recently.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #210
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Klinsmann out, please.

This US team has done nothing under his "leadership," it's my opinion that they've actually regressed in terms of tactics and results.

I know people like to point to the 2014 World Cup and talk about how he got us out of the Group of Death but anyone who actually watched those games knows we got outplayed, sometimes badly, in every single game.

Ghana - 2-1 win, stole a last minute winner against and finally got that monkey off our back. Still got ran all over the park and didn't deserve all 3 pts.

Portugal - 2-2 draw, gave up a last minute equalizer against a pretty poor Portugal team and a 50% CR7.

Germany 1-0 loss, hey we only lost 1-0 to Germany, that's a moral win, right? This game was ugly to watch, the gulf in class is about as wide as the oceans separating the two teams. Could've easily been 5-0.

Belgium Round of 16 - 2-1 Loss - This was the worst of the 4 games, absolutely hammered time and time again by Belgium and the only reason it wasn't 10-1 was a (literally) world record performance by Timmy Howard.
Finally!

Gulati had the balls to fire him, now don't go and get stupid again by rehiring Arena.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #211
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Finally!

Gulati had the balls to fire him, now don't go and get stupid again by rehiring Arena.
Well, Fuck.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #212
The Godfather
#COYR

Confed Cup tomm!
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #213
Coster
We got the cup

Vamos Mexico!
Coster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #214
celluloid hero

Come on you Gunners!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #216
celluloid hero

Eh. Third for me. City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #217
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Eh. Third for me. City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs.
City
United
Chelsea
Spurs
Pool
Arse
Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #218
celluloid hero

Spurs have no home field advantage and Wembley is already in their head and Champions League. They've sold, but signed no one, making the fan base frustrated, players are popping off in the media. This does not feel like a 4th place team.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #219
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

Quote:
Spurs have no home field advantage and Wembley is already in their head and Champions League. They've sold, but signed no one, making the fan base frustrated, players are popping off in the media. This does not feel like a 4th place team.
Other than Lacazette (nice start by the way) who has Arsenal signed? And aren't the in danger of losing Sanchez? It's not like Arsenal are sitting pretty either, certainly doesn't look like a 3rd place side.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #220
celluloid hero

They signed the LB of the year in the Bundesliga Kolasinac, but they also haven't lost anyone yet, and our team isn't talking about a lack of signings in the papers. But then again, even if it was just Lacazette, it's a big signing.

I mean same old shit in the match right now, but hat's beyond the point.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc