These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Ripping DVDs / Blu-rays to iTunes

I have a huge dvd/blu ray collection that is currently not doing me any good. In fact, outside of the kids movies they're just in storage at my dads. I'd love to get them into iTunes so they can just be streamed to the apple tvs and actually be used again. Has anyone used anything that they think is a solid option? I've been looking into it a bit and it seems like there are a few pay aps and then handbrake. Is there a consensus for the best way? Best and easiest? I certainly don't mind paying if it is easier, but I also can grasp something that is more complicated if it gives me better results. Do they rip with the menus / soundtracks intact?

Is it just like the iTunes music library? Does it seamlessly integrate with my other iTunes purchased movies / disney movies anywhere with artwork etc? I'd love it to be just one big easily sortable library that the kids/wife can easily surf.

This is how I would go now, I guess:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Any help would be awesome.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
somf4eva

I'll give you more details on my process if you want, but here is what I do: I rip my Blu Rays using make mkv.

After that, if i want to play the files off an external to my Roku, I use the presets I found on a site called rokoding.

If I want to stream them over my home network, i use plex and presets off a site called "thewebernets". I'd be glad to give you details but I am still learning as well.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
I'll give you more details on my process if you want, but here is what I do: I rip my Blu Rays using make mkv.

After that, if i want to play the files off an external to my Roku, I use the presets I found on a site called rokoding.

If I want to stream them over my home network, i use plex and presets off a site called "thewebernets". I'd be glad to give you details but I am still learning as well.
I basically am stuck with iTunes. I realize it's probably not the best way, but I need to have a situation where I am not the only one in the house who is able to access movies / tv shows. I need my wife, daughter, babysitter, family members to be able to figure it out. I also like appletv because I can basically bring all these movies with me wherever I go as long as I have my macbook.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

One thing that bugs me is I can seem to get multiple disc dvd sets to show up as one in itunes. Like, I just ripped Phish Clifford Ball which is seven discs and now it shows in itunes like 7 different movies. Super annoying. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
somf4eva

I don't use iTunes but maybe it has to do with editing something such as disk number? My suggestion would be to edit data to make sure all of it is the same.

Have I unused plex before? It's pretty easy to set up and use IMO.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc