These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #101
Define Dancing
 
Define Dancing's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,272
Spoiler:
So, I've been reading some theories about Snoke, and find the idea that Snoke is Darth Plagueis reincarnated (or at the very least akin to Voldemort) very intriguing. I know Andy Serkis said Snoke is very much a "new character," but I think there could be some truth to this theory. The most significant evidence is the similarity in music between the music for Snoke and the music playing in this scene:


What do others think of the Snoke/Plagueis theory?


Also, I find this theory to be quite revelatory:
__________________
"Poetry must be at least as powerful as music, but I am not sure that is possible." - George Oppen
Define Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:59 AM   #102
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 8,511
Just saw it. Really enjoyed it. Definitely worth it and better than I thought it would be.

Spoiler:

But... it was basically a new hope. And I don't think Kylo should have taken off his mask until he saw Han. That was a little disappointing.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #103
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 20,853
Loved it.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #104
JWood
 
JWood's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23,258
Saw it today as well. Overall, I really liked it, but agree with it not touching Episodes IV-VI. Thought Daisy did a fantastic job and by far was the best actor.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #105
JWood
 
JWood's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 23,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Just saw it. Really enjoyed it. Definitely worth it and better than I thought it would be.

Spoiler:

But... it was basically a new hope. And I don't think Kylo should have taken off his mask until he saw Han. That was a little disappointing.
Spoiler:
Agree 100%.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #106
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 8,511
I think I'd rank them

5
4
6
7

3



2






1
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #107
rmattwill
 
rmattwill's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I think I'd rank them

5
4
6
7

3



2






1
5, 4, 7, 3, 2, 6, 1
__________________
Just as the bite of the blade wakes the absent mind
There's time to dream and there's time to open your eyes
She said, just as the warmth of a kiss brings the love alive
It's right here by the fire where the answers lie
rmattwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #108
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 
Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 8,511
Jedi has its issues but the prequels are all garbage.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #109
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Jedi has its issues but the prequels are all garbage.

Agreed. I'd rank this one ahead of Jedi, but no way are any of the prequels better than it.
__________________
Hi.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #110
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,828
the only thing the prequels did well was tell the story of palpatines rise into power. Everything else didn't make sense, contradicted the original movies or was just dumb.

Attack of the Clones is by far the worst to me.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #111
somf4eva
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,789
I actually was reading the history of star was on Wikipedia last night. Made me was to get the book, "the secret history of Star Wars". It says that the idea of Vader being Luke's father didn't exist until the writing the script of Empire Strikes Back(I didn't know that). Also says the idea of the saga and Empire being episode V didn't exist until then(i sorta knew that). iirc, the basic outline for the prequels was made then(1978) but not fleshed out until the mid nineties. It also described Lucas saying at that time it would be a 12 part sage(didn't know that)

So it doesn't really bother me about the story not matching up with the original trilogies because IV doesn't necessarily match up with V. A lot of where Lucas got into trouble was trying to claim he had the story in his mind the whole time. To me, it's cooler if he didn't. It's a shame they don't match, but makes the whole story that much more interesting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
The band is just jerking off on our faces right now...and I am proud to be a dirty whore.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #112
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
I actually was reading the history of star was on Wikipedia last night. Made me was to get the book, "the secret history of Star Wars". It says that the idea of Vader being Luke's father didn't exist until the writing the script of Empire Strikes Back(I didn't know that). Also says the idea of the saga and Empire being episode V didn't exist until then(i sorta knew that). iirc, the basic outline for the prequels was made then(1978) but not fleshed out until the mid nineties. It also described Lucas saying at that time it would be a 12 part sage(didn't know that)

So it doesn't really bother me about the story not matching up with the original trilogies because IV doesn't necessarily match up with V. A lot of where Lucas got into trouble was trying to claim he had the story in his mind the whole time. To me, it's cooler if he didn't. It's a shame they don't match, but makes the whole story that much more interesting.
Just because he thought of later doesnt mean he doesnt have to blatantly contradict what happened/was happening. That is not an excuse for shoddy writing.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #113
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 20,853
But it would be impossible to have made a movie that people would have said was better than 4 or 5. Those movies are family at this point.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #114
somf4eva
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Just because he thought of later doesnt mean he doesnt have to blatantly contradict what happened/was happening. That is not an excuse for shoddy writing.
I'm not giving him an excuse. Just saying Vader being his father in empire contradicts episode IV and people give him a pass.

A great example for me is padme dying in childbirth. That totally contradicts what is said in return of the Jedi. No reason he had to do that.

But the writing in episodes I-III is so bad in so many other ways. Just pointing out some things I never knew.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
The band is just jerking off on our faces right now...and I am proud to be a dirty whore.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #115
rmattwill
 
rmattwill's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Jedi has its issues but the prequels are all garbage.
the third and second prequels aren't bad.
__________________
Just as the bite of the blade wakes the absent mind
There's time to dream and there's time to open your eyes
She said, just as the warmth of a kiss brings the love alive
It's right here by the fire where the answers lie
rmattwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #116
rmattwill
 
rmattwill's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
But it would be impossible to have made a movie that people would have said was better than 4 or 5. Those movies are family at this point.
I can see a movie being better than 4, but not 5. Not ever 5.
__________________
Just as the bite of the blade wakes the absent mind
There's time to dream and there's time to open your eyes
She said, just as the warmth of a kiss brings the love alive
It's right here by the fire where the answers lie
rmattwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #117
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmattwill View Post
the third and second prequels aren't bad.
The second prequel is an awful CGI crap fest of a movie. Phantom Menace aged better than AOTC.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #118
somf4eva
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
The second prequel is an awful CGI crap fest of a movie. Phantom Menace aged better than AOTC.
This is true. For me, it's:

5
6
4
7

3
1
2
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
The band is just jerking off on our faces right now...and I am proud to be a dirty whore.
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #119
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,828
Putting 7 ahead of 6 is tough for me. 6 has some of my favorite scenes from the series (the Vader Luke Emporer scenes) but I've never liked the Endor scenes and tend to fast forward them.

I loved 7, and thought it was a more even movie. Need to see it again though.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #120
Define Dancing
 
Define Dancing's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmattwill View Post
the third and second prequels aren't bad.
When is the last time you watched those movies?

I used to think Revenge of the Sith was a pretty good movie. Then I watched it again shortly after seeing The Force Awakens. Episode III is god awful. Horrible acting, almost entirely CGI (which hasn't aged well), excessively long, muddled script, and just an all around atrocious film. Sadly, it's the best of the 3 prequels. Attack of the Clones is by far the worst; I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch it. Phantom Menace is more of a kids movie with horrible CGI, bad jokes, and cartoonish characters that aren't believable.


TFA is light years ahead of any of those three movies. Thank god George Lucas is no longer directing these films, and better yet, not even involved.

My personal rankings:

Spoiler:
Return of the Jedi (fuck the haters)
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens










Revenge of the Sith









The Phantom Menace





















Attack of the Clones
__________________
"Poetry must be at least as powerful as music, but I am not sure that is possible." - George Oppen
Define Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11677 seconds with 24 queries