These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #81
JimBeam41
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
Just started Killing Kennedy last night. Not big on O'Reilly but they do well staying objective and presenting the facts. Very imformative, should be a quick read too.
I just finished Killing Lincoln, it was a great read, learned a lot about the assassination that i never knew. Probably gonna read Killing Kennedy soon.
__________________
- Joe -
JimBeam41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #82
drummerkrf
 
drummerkrf's Avatar
 
Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post

I just finished Killing Lincoln, it was a great read, learned a lot about the assassination that i never knew. Probably gonna read Killing Kennedy soon.
. I've got Killing Lincoln in queue. He makes a lot of references about it in the Kennedy book, erie how the numbers of the two coincide with one another.

Killing Kennedy makes you realize how great of a president he was, along with detailing all of his philandering. It's a great history read on his entire presidency along with the assassination. The guy was truly one of a kind.

Exposes LHO along the way too.

Enjoy.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #83
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Mitch, how's The Stand coming?
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #84
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,957
Loving it. I'm about 850 pages in. The "good" group is all gathered up in Boulder, and now it seems like that fat fuck Harold is gonna do something bad...
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #85
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
oh man, in about 150 pages shit is gonna get real.

oddly enough maybe my favorite part of the book is after the climax in the last 50-70 pages or so.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #86
drummerkrf
 
drummerkrf's Avatar
 
Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,525
Can't wait to go home and check out the tv-movie adaptation of 'Killing Lincoln' that aired on NatGeo last night...
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #87
JimBeam41
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
Can't wait to go home and check out the tv-movie adaptation of 'Killing Lincoln' that aired on NatGeo last night...
Me too, i DVR'd it last night as i was at the Mumford and Sons show in Camden.
__________________
- Joe -
JimBeam41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #88
drummerkrf
 
drummerkrf's Avatar
 
Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post

Me too, i DVR'd it last night as i was at the Mumford and Sons show in Camden.
How was that? And why hasn't the Mumford & Sons thread been touched since October?

If people like em... Talk about em!

Fuck the fact that Spence shits on them all the time
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #89
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
How was that? And why hasn't the Mumford & Sons thread been touched since October?

If people like em... Talk about em!

Fuck the fact that Spence shits on them all the time
i don't go in that pit of hell so that shouldn't be the reason. maybe people finally came to their senses
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #90
drummerkrf
 
drummerkrf's Avatar
 
Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post

i don't go in that pit of hell so that shouldn't be the reason. maybe people finally came to their senses
You'd think. Made me laugh with the Grammy's this year. More proof that those things are bullshit.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #91
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,664
I think this is the next book I'm going to read:

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #92
drummerkrf
 
drummerkrf's Avatar
 
Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
I think this is the next book I'm going to read:

Nice. Where'd you hear about this? Or just stumbled across it?

I wonder what Ramsey has to say about this...
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #93
ggies
Sugar Will '04
 
ggies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
Nice. Where'd you hear about this? Or just stumbled across it?

I wonder what Ramsey has to say about this...
The author was on The Daily Show......yeah, she was talking about his area, but I think more of the financial side, they talked about CNBC and such. Ramsey just talks about getting out of debt.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #94
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,957
I finished The Stand last night. Loved it. I'm kind of a little depressed that I don't have it to read anymore, especially since I was plugging away at it for a couple of months.

Just some random shit, that I guess I'll spoiler even though it was written decades ago, I don't want to ruin anything for someone yet to read it.

Spoiler:
As they were developing characters early on, I was totally expecting Larry and Frannie to be the ones to hook up, not her and Stu. I also imagined her to be very hot.

Considering Larry apparently had a hit song right before the flu outbreak, I'm surprised no one ever said to him, "hey, are you that Larry Underwood with the song??"

Spence's "Team Underwood" comment in this thread that I saw around the time when Stu was in the leadership role in Boulder definitely had me expecting Stu to die in Harold's bombing. But yeah, ultimately Larry reluctantly played a huge role, and was a cool dude. Like most guys who read it, I loved Stu, Larry, and Nick.

The way King wrote something like "and they never saw Stu Redman again" after the other guys left him in the ditch with the broken leg heading to Vegas, I knew that they were the ones who were gonna die and he would live. And I knew that Tom Cullen was gonna come across him and rescue him. But Stu and Tom's trip back to Boulder was still one of my favorite parts, laws yes.

Such a great book, and thanks to Spence and whoever else recommended it.

I see that the early 90's mini-series is on Netflix. Definitely gonna check it out. Has anyone watched it?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #95
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I finished The Stand last night. Loved it. I'm kind of a little depressed that I don't have it to read anymore, especially since I was plugging away at it for a couple of months.

Just some random shit, that I guess I'll spoiler even though it was written decades ago, I don't want to ruin anything for someone yet to read it.

Spoiler:
As they were developing characters early on, I was totally expecting Larry and Frannie to be the ones to hook up, not her and Stu. I also imagined her to be very hot.

Considering Larry apparently had a hit song right before the flu outbreak, I'm surprised no one ever said to him, "hey, are you that Larry Underwood with the song??"

Spence's "Team Underwood" comment in this thread that I saw around the time when Stu was in the leadership role in Boulder definitely had me expecting Stu to die in Harold's bombing. But yeah, ultimately Larry reluctantly played a huge role, and was a cool dude. Like most guys who read it, I loved Stu, Larry, and Nick.

The way King wrote something like "and they never saw Stu Redman again" after the other guys left him in the ditch with the broken leg heading to Vegas, I knew that they were the ones who were gonna die and he would live. And I knew that Tom Cullen was gonna come across him and rescue him. But Stu and Tom's trip back to Boulder was still one of my favorite parts, laws yes.

Such a great book, and thanks to Spence and whoever else recommended it.

I see that the early 90's mini-series is on Netflix. Definitely gonna check it out. Has anyone watched it?
yeah i've read it twice and i've gotten depressed when i was through with it each time.

Spoiler:
a past her prime Molly Ringwald plays Frannie in the mini-series, so definitely not living up to the hotness potential there.

see that "and they never saw Stu again" line completely fooled me. i flipped the fuck out when i read that. basically from Stu dying, Tom Cullen finding him, and their journey home is my favorite part and one of the most emotionally affecting passages i've ever read in a novel. i'm not ashamed to say i cried like a baby when Tom first stumbles upon Stu, and a couple more times throughout that section. it's all just so uplifting.

some other thoughts from me:

my only gripe with the book is the climax to the war. it just felt rushed and a step too far into the spirituality territory with literally the finger of god blowing up the nuke and saving the day. i just felt like the book was on the right side of fantasy up until that point and then it crossed over into exactly what i hate about fantasy stuff where problems can just be solved by "MAGIC!" instead of actual smart thinking and clever decision making by humans.

also, oddly enough i think besides the aforementioned Stu/Tom stuff i think my favorite parts all had to do with Harold and his point of view. it was twisted and sick but it was fascinating.

as for the mini-series, it's fucking terrible. it's made for network tv so it's totally neutered. some of the casting is dead on, Gary Sinise IS Stu Redman. but they got Larry all wrong and they turned Harold into this stereotypical skinny nerd with glasses which is much less interesting than a fat awkward know-it-all who's hiding a deep evil streak. plus, it's cheap looking. but all that said, definitely watch it

FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #96
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,957
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
a past her prime Molly Ringwald plays Frannie in the mini-series, so definitely not living up to the hotness potential there.
Molly Ringwald? Yikes. I made a point not to look at the cast while I was reading it b/c I didn't want it to affect how I saw the characters. I clearly made a good choice on that one.

Yeah, I figured a network mini-series from the 90's would not do it justice at all. I will absolutely watch it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
Cullen finding him, and their journey home is my favorite part and one of the most emotionally affecting passages i've ever read in a novel. i'm not ashamed to say i cried like a baby when Tom first stumbles upon Stu, and a couple more times throughout that section. it's all just so uplifting.
Oh yeah, I loved all of that. That's what makes a great writer, I guess. If I wrote it, I would have wrote "Tom Cullen rescued him and carried him back to Boulder" or some shit, but he takes so much time and makes that part of the book so detailed and dramatic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
my only gripe with the book is the climax to the war. it just felt rushed and a step too far into the spirituality territory with literally the finger of god blowing up the nuke and saving the day. i just felt like the book was on the right side of fantasy up until that point and then it crossed over into exactly what i hate about fantasy stuff where problems can just be solved by "MAGIC!" instead of actual smart thinking and clever decision making by humans.
I agree. Again, I was almost expecting more out of Larry at some point b/c of your "Team Underwood" comment, but yeah that part was kind of rushed and a bit lame, but I was expecting something along those lines to some extent, I guess, b/c there conversation with and regarding Mother Abagail before leaving Boulder was something to the effect of "only way to win this is with magic" or something.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #97
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,957
I've started watching the Stand mini-series. It is laughably bad. They've made Larry more cheesy and cocky than he was in the book, pulling into NY with his "DIG UR MAN" vanity plates and his attitude. He was full of self-doubt at that point in the book. And yeah, Molly Ringwald is so disappointing as Franny. And WTF couldn't they cast a fat guy as Harold? And they combined Rita and Nadine into one character?? The acting is awful, etc. I could go on and I'm only an hour in. But I do have to watch the whole thing...
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #98
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
it's just so dull and neutered.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #99
MUDaveFan
Kind of a big deal
 
MUDaveFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,009
I actually didn't think the mini series was THAT bad, but it is pretty laughable!

I don't know how to spoil things on here, but it's not really a spoiler. Did you guys keep getting Lucy, Nadine, and Dayna mixed up? I did.

But yeah, incredible book. Love it. King's 3 massive novels, this, Under the Dome, and 11/22/63 are so good. I am starting 11/22/63 again soon.
__________________
-Scott

DMB for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
MUDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #100
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
i still need to read Under The Dome.

and yeah, i frequently got those 3 women mixed up as well as Ralph and Glenn. there's just so many characters once they reach Boulder
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.12173 seconds with 22 queries