These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Neil Young

I did a search, and found nothing. I feel like even if the thread drops quickly, this guy deserves his own thread.

His last two records, Le Noise and A Treasure, are pretty remarkable. I'd put his career up against anybody's. So, a thread for all Neil talk.

inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
FiddySpence
TDCya

i respect neil young more than i listen to him, which is rarely.

i should change that.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I'm sure other songwriters are better, but no one hits me like Neil. The great thing about his catalog (and it's fucking huge), is that in context, even the fuckups are valuable. They feel less like disasters and more like slipups that let you know more about the person in the midst of a long conversation.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
FiddySpence
TDCya

the dude has jams, that's for sure.

i think i like other people's versions of his songs better than his own. except for Cortez.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Speaking as a guitarist, his tone is unparalleled, IMO. It sounds like a nuclear bomb going off every time he strums a chord.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Speaking as a guitarist, his tone is unparalleled, IMO. It sounds like a nuclear bomb going off every time he strums a chord.
agreed.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

heart of gold concert on fuse right now...so good.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
gweeps

He's one of the worst electric guitarists I've ever heard. I still love his sound though.

And to counter any angry replies to my belief, even Young said he was pretty awful. In Guitar World, I believe.

*listens to the warbling bullshit of Like a Hurricane*
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
FiddySpence
TDCya

he may not be technically proficient, but i love his electric playing.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
rastawolf
oregon green

Profiency isn't always equatable to talent. I don't think anyone has ever argued that he was an amazing guitarist but Neil has something few others have. He can put it all together in astounding ways. I don't care if you like his music or not.........you have to respect what he has to offer. He's done a lot of great things in the past 30+ years

Quote:
Re: ISO: Nugs in STL area
Originally Posted by Sou1 So1di3r
hey jerk, that is the number to the police station. fucker.
rastawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastawolf View Post
Profiency isn't always equatable to talent. I don't think anyone has ever argued that he was an amazing guitarist but Neil has something few others have. He can put it all together in astounding ways. I don't care if you like his music or not.........you have to respect what he has to offer. He's done a lot of great things in the past 30+ years

He's a fantastic guitarist. If the question is could he do what someone like Stevie Ray Vaughn does or something, than no. But I don't really find that very interesting compared to what he's been able to do.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
raven

Saw him do a solo set at Farm Aid 02 at Star Lake and he blew me away.. so good. Did half the songs on piano and half on acoustic guitar
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
FiddySpence
TDCya

i'm not saying their styles necessarily sound alike, but like Springsteen, Neil Young's electric playing is straight from the gut and kind of dirty. that shit's the best.

Last edited by FiddySpence; 08-22-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I saw neil solo last year in worcester. Price was insane, but man what a show. Had front from DFC, best seat in the house, and the show did not disapoint. Wish I had been able to get a tape of that show. I really liked some of the new songs. One was on Le noise, but I don't care for the production.

and of course, serious fucking Jam Michael Vincent:

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
inmytree
Hey Gee.

That's good, but I don't like that guitar. So much of Neil has to do with this wonderful tone he's concocted, which just gets a little lost on that guitar (I have no idea what it is, it just looks like a copy of whatever Trey is using).

Anyway, diss, did you know it's Neil playing the solo on this? It's fantastic, and a pretty good argument against someone who'd say he couldn't play.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
i'm not saying their styles necessarily sound alike, but like Springsteen, Neil Young's electric playing is straight from the gut and kind of dirty. that shit's the best.
There's a really good comparison there. Bruce has got more of snarl due to using a Telecaster, but they're both right where I like my favorite electric players to be. Guttural, I'd agree, is a great word to use for it. There's melody, but they're also ok with devolving into noise and feedback.

Strange, but my favorite guitar players also tend to be great songwriters. Springsteen, Young, even Jimi Hendrix or Jack White.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
FiddySpence
TDCya

i did. i love the mirrorball/merkin ball releases.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Yea, he's using Trey's back up Languadoc, which is odd considering it is farm aid and neil had all his gear there.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
FiddySpence
TDCya

[Only registered users can see links.]

Following in the footsteps of peers like Bob Dylan and Keith Richards, Neil Young is planning to publish his autobiography, Waging Heavy Peace, in late 2012. Emphasis on the word "planning," as Young is notorious for announcing future projects only to pull the plug at the last minute. A project so revealing for the famously private singer-songwriter seems like it's destined to come off the rails at some point. (Just ask biographer Jimmy McDonough, who's flawed but essential Shakey: Neil Young's Biography was held up for three years by Young after he granted the author personal access.) But Young seems to have embraced telling his own story for the masses. "I felt like writing books fit me like a glove," he said. "I started and I just kept going. That's the way my Daddy used to do it on his old Underwood up in the attic. He said, 'Just keep writing, you never know what will turn up.'" [Via The Guardian]
Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
FiddySpence
TDCya

[Only registered users can see links.]

If you're a Neil Young fan, this is news you've waited nine years (and seemingly twice as many albums) for: Shakey is making an album with Crazy Horse. The last time Young entered the studio with his long-time backing band was 2003, for the underrated concept record Greendale. Though if you want to get technical about it, since Frank "Poncho" Sampedro didn't play on Greendale, the last true Neil Young and Crazy Horse record was also Young's last out-and-out capital-G great album, 1996's Broken Arrow. (We're sure that every single reader will agree with this assertion, and therefore it doesn't need to be qualified.) Young hasn't even played live with the Horse since 2004, so this is momentous news indeed.
Of course, if you are a Neil Young fan, you also know there's a decent chance that this album won't see the light of the day, maybe ever. Young and Crazy Horse apparently recorded an album, Toast, back in 2000 that remains unreleased, in spite of Young saying recently that "it's great rock & roll, very moody, kind of jazzy." Supposedly, "there's word of a spring release" for this new album, and we've decided to believe this and get excited about it. [via Rolling Stone]

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc