Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #141
RageATL
The Dude abides

The Hi-Fi Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by somf4eva View Post
Can someone suggest a good a/v receiver for home use?

A specific one make/model or a line? I love Denon gear, but haven't heard them in a while. I personally have an Integra (Onkyo's higher end line) pre/pro and for the price, you can't beat their feature set.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #142
RageATL
The Dude abides

Can anyone here help me delve into the high res audio file (not DVD-A, SACD or BR Audio) pool? I have no idea where to start and I figured I'd try here before consulting the internet.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #143
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

I deal with FLAC mostly.

You're referencing physical media. What exactly are you trying to figure out?
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #144
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Can anyone here help me delve into the high res audio file (not DVD-A, SACD or BR Audio) pool? I have no idea where to start and I figured I'd try here before consulting the internet.
Sounds like you want to check out either 24 bit FLACs or ALAC (the Apple Lossless would be an option only if you primarily use iTunes as your playback platform). The 24 bit files are available in different sampling rates, usually 96k, but often 182 or whatever (above 96k seems unnecessary though). I'm sure you've seen these files available for sale or download around the internet. MOST IMPORTANT THING though: if your playback system is not set up to properly play back such files (or you don't have something like the Pono player, I'll let drummer talk about that), you will get no benefit out of them.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #145
drummerkrf

After with Mitch. My ears don't hear the value in anything higher than 96k (176k or 192k).

And RE: playback system... Don't over-complicate things. The shortest distance to years = the best sound. Don't hook up 5 components that the musical file travels through to get to your ears.

Lot of people discover the hi-res jump through a USB DAC at first. It's s good start.

BUT, IIRC you seem familiar with all of this, through our past discussions. If you're asking specifically about physical hi-res media, then I have no clue. I skipped that phase and went straight to digital format.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #146
RageATL
The Dude abides

Thanks, fellas! Basically I was asking about playback through a home theater system. One of my obstacles is that my PC is nowhere near my rig. Secondly, I presume I need some sort of DAC connected to my computer, right?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #147
drummerkrf

Yeah. A DAC is essential to any playback of hi-res audio.

The portable players all have them built-in.

Amps and pre-amps might be your best route. I have a PS Audio Sprout for my home system. It's basically a receiver that allows you to connect multiple devices, and also had a Bluetooth connection to stream wirelessly to it. Built in DAC. Not bulky. And easy on the wallet. Another Kickstarter purchase, now available for retail.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 02-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #148
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post

Amps and pre-amps might be your best route. I have a PS Audio Sprout for my home system. It's basically a receiver that allows you to connect multiple devices, and also had a Bluetooth connection to stream wirelessly to it. Built in DAC. Not bulky. And easy on the wallet. Another Kickstarter purchase, now available for retail.

Cool, that might just fit the bill! Yeah, I remember when the Sprout was going through it's Kickstarter phase as I get the PS Audio newsletter. I have a few Ultimate Outlets and an Ultimate Power Strip in my system, love their gear.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #149
drummerkrf

I read Paul's Post every day off their Twitter account.

Tons of insight. Have learned a lot from those.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #150
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post

I've been wanting to pick up a Sprout one of these days. I'm using an old school NAD 3020b amp at the moment. Loving it for now.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #151
RageATL
The Dude abides

Man, I'm all over the place with this...basically I've been using TVersity on my PC to stream all of my music over wi-fi to my PS3 which is connected to my living room system. I'm comfortable with this program especially since it's free but is there anything else out there that's a little bit more robust and inexpensive as well?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc