These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #141
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Put together the playlist you listed above and just hit play. I've only dabbled in the Kinks, but always enjoyed them. I'll listen to the Lovedrug record next.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #142
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
The album did so well at the indie label it was on, that Columbia noticed and gave them a record deal.
Man, The Militia Group. That brings me back to the early 2000's.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #143
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Put together the playlist you listed above and just hit play. I've only dabbled in the Kinks, but always enjoyed them. I'll listen to the Lovedrug record next.
The above version is not the true album proper. That’s why I had it for people who know it well as an alternate listen.

I do recommend the way it was released 1-15 if you liked that listen.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #144
celluloid hero

But glad you liked it. Really you could pick any album from Face to Face up through Everybody’s in Showbiz and get a brilliant listen. For me, it was between this and Arthur which to pick.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #145
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
The above version is not the true album proper. That’s why I had it for people who know it well as an alternate listen.

I do recommend the way it was released 1-15 if you liked that listen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
But glad you liked it. Really you could pick any album from Face to Face up through Everybody’s in Showbiz and get a brilliant listen. For me, it was between this and Arthur which to pick.
Ah, makes sense now that I'm re-reading it. I'll give the album proper a listen tonight/tomorrow. I really like their stuff, it's just so mellow yet peppy. Puts me in a good mood, especially that record.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #146
Bluewater34
Is Old

Listened to the alternate Village Green this morning, and while it was interesting, I’m actually pretty surprised by the degree to which my enjoyment diminished when compared to the official release. It goes to show how much thought went into that album when messing with it, even to add some songs that I actually like, kind of ruins it for me.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #147
celluloid hero

Yes.

It's interesting to hear songs like Days in their placement and a few of the songs rearranged, but you can see why Ray was upset and had it pulled back.

There's no denying that even while Days is a top 5 Kinks song for me, removing Trains, Big Sky and Animal Farm is brutal. Three of their best songs and all clumped together in the middle.

You need to do the regular release as a palate cleanser.

Jason, make sure even if it's not in the immediate future that you do the full release.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 AM   #148
Bluewater34
Is Old

Garntd, you’re up.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #149
blumathu

Loved the Kinks album. I listened to a bunch of concept albums a couple years ago and this was one of them, but I only listened that one time so it was very nice to revisit. I should listen to it more often, it is very well done.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #150
Bluewater34
Is Old

I’m going to just jump in front of Celluloid here to tell you that if you haven’t, you should definitely check out Arthur next. Very much in a similar vein. My favorite of the two tends to be the last one I listened to.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #151
Garntd

Sorry I've been MIA in the thread - Just saw 13 concerts in about 16 days and I am exhausted.

For my pick, I'm going with Jim by Jamie Lidell. I was between this and his first album, Multiply, which was also really good. It's a nice mix between pop, soul, and electronic music. The album's opener, Another Day, is just one of those songs that can put me in a good mood anytime it comes on.

from pitchfork:
On Jim Jamie Lidell remains obsessed with the themes of emotional imbalance, self-doubt, and dual identity that he introduced on 2005's Multiply, and the singer deepens his engagement with classic r&b across a carefully crafted set of ballads, rave-ups, and easygoing soul.

Jamie Lidell has built his career upon surprising people, whether via his on-stage antics, sudden stylistic shifts, or cryptic interviews. But the biggest twist to his third album, Jim, might just be its lack of left turns. Jim isn't quite Lidell's Sea Change, but it's close, and not only because the singer and producer recently toured and recorded with Beck. Despite a few uptempo rockers, the album is generally subdued; its perspective is almost confessional.

1. "Another Day" 3:49
2. "Wait for Me" 3:23
3. "Out of My System" 3:58
4. "All I Wanna Do" 5:13
5. "Little Bit of Feel Good" (Lidell, Salole, Andre Vida) 4:03
6. "Figured Me Out" 4:27
7. "Hurricane" 3:13
8. "Green Light" (Lidell, Salole, Jason Charles Beck) 3:49
9. "Where D'You Go?" (Beck) 2:24
10. "Rope of Sand" 3:39

[Only registered users can see links.]
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #152
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Listening now, cool pick. It reminds me of a cross between James Morrison and Eli 'Paperboy' Reed.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #153
celluloid hero

Listening in a few myself...
Old 07-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #154
blumathu

I listened today as well. I dig the blend of styles in here. I hear Rock, R&B and Jazz. Good stuff. I'm really enjoying this little club of ours.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #155
Bluewater34
Is Old

My dumb family took up all my time this weekend, so I’ll get the last pick listened sometime this week, but Jason, you’v got the next pick.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #156
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
My dumb family took up all my time this weekend, so I’ll get the last pick listened sometime this week, but Jason, you’v got the next pick.
Oh nice, I'll go with this one:

Barnstar! - "Sit Down! Get Up! Get Out!"

Spoiler:

Quote:
Barnstar!'s Sit Down! Get Up! Get Out! is a bluegrass album with a home-spun sound that doesn't ring false and that's enough to carry it most of the time. If that sounds like an attempt to damn with faint praise, keep in mind that this is the rare spot of contemporary bluegrass music that never sounds cliché. Or contrived. Or, thank God, self-conscious and ironic. It carries a few of the ugliest markings of the genre – nobody's going to award these guys awards for political sensitivity with lines like “Stupid girl / She was dressed like / She deserved everything that she got”, even knowing the narrative the context, and their cover of the Hold Steady's “Sequestered in Memphis” is so far removed from the original context provided by the rest of Stay Positive that it now walks a very strange (and oddly celebratory) line between macho braggadocio and police interrogation that feels icky – but it's also marked with those strengths that can make any bluegrass album worth its roots a kind of portable festiva.

Credit some of that to a vocal ensemble that gives the band a wider range than some of their peers. Everyone in the band can sing and sing well and each brings a unique timbre and range that makes every shift in sound believable and easy. The band doesn't stress to cover the major, sudden gap between lofty dirge and earthy ballad in “Six Foot Pine Box”, and it has no trouble moving between barn-raisers like “Stay With Me” or “Flaming Red” and the bluesier, boozier style of “Barnstable County” and “Trouble”. If they cock up the lyrics with an ugly bit of chauvinism from time to time and don't seem to have too wide a range of themes – death, depression, sexual frustration, hill-billy posturing; ya know, all the stand-bys – they also apologize for it all with a playful lyrical style that's really only rightly described as a hoot. Folksy it may be, but “Worn out and wholly / Wholly as Jesus / Me and my red shoes / Nothing could please us”, is maybe the most perfect slice of Americana Apple Pie cooked up in years; “If there's one thing I've learned from the hand that I've been dealt / It's the deeper the hole, the closer to Hell”, may not change the face of 21st century lyricism but it's pegged perfectly with a whisper and a suddenly vanished instrumental line that turns this bit of literalism into something stark and ugly.

Credit most of it, though, to some of the wildest fiddle work and banjo playing you're liable to hear this year (now note the use of liable). There are obvious show stoppers, here, plenty of wild picking runs (“Flaming Red” is almost all flash-fire picking), bow-bending hashes on the fiddle and the viola and some breakneck changes in time signature and style that should get feet to tapping if not dancing. It's a festive album, after all, powered by a band that's so high on their talent, rapport and the kind of crass joy that comes with easy creation. But keep diligent for the quiet moments. Don't dare to miss the ten-second interplay between fiddle and banjo in the middle bridge of “She Loves the Band”; compact and subtle, it's all the tenser for it. Try not to speed right over “Darling” just because it's a tad slower; the transition between violin-solo, banjo-solo and harmonized vocals is as deft a bit of arrangement as any.

At the same time it might be best not to expect to much. For all their ability to play it soft and in spite of their wide musical reach, the fact is that Barnstar! suffer from a lack of real emotional range. Whether they're sending off a deceased friend, following a stalker around or grappling with the specter of depression, the boys in the band play every song like it's a jaunt through a Saturday evening of bar-hopping and barn-dancing. There's just too much boogie in their soul, it seems (or too much liquor in their livers), for them to approach anything in life as less than a cause for celebration. A welcome optimism at first, yes, but like the friend who never knows when to stop cracking wise or who follows every life event with drinks it can grow tiresome. There are subjects that demand darker shading and deeper introspection than Barnstar!'s effusive attitude allows them.

That said, the band might do best to just drop the pretense altogether and focus on doing what they do best, which is cutting a rug: few albums swing so confidently and with so few inhibitions as this one, after all. If sometimes it's shaky, give it a pass; it's certainly never boring and that alone makes it worth a look, a listen, and maybe a few more listens after that.

Jake Armerding - fiddle, vocals, viola, mandolin (Delta Rose)
Taylor "Old Train" Armerding - mandolin, vocals
Mark Erelli - guitar, vocals
Zachariah Hickman - double bass, vocals, pump organ
Charlie Rose - banjo, vocals, triangle

1.Six Foot Pine Box
2.She Loves The Bands
3.Flaming Red
4.Darling
5.Barnstable County
6.Sequestered In Memphis
7.Trouble
8.Delta Rose
9.Cumberland Blue Line
10.Country John
11.Stay With Me

[Only registered users can see links.]
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #157
Garntd

had to evacuate from NOLA from that storm so I'll try to catch up the next few days!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #158
celluloid hero

Shit! Good luck!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #159
Bluewater34
Is Old

Oh man, I hope everything is ok. Keep us posted!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 AM   #160
Garntd

thanks, y'all. I only went a few hours east out to Mobile because the threat isn't really of the wind, but more of the rain. I wanted to get away from the Mississippi River, as it's almost at flood stage and who knows what it's going to do. City officials are confident the levees will hold but not worth the risk when I can get a hotel for $150 for the weekend.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc