These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #21
blumathu

Another pleasant surprise for this week's pick. I was introduced to Fleetwood Mac in 1997 via the live concert The Dance. I loved it, especially Lindsay Buckinghamís brilliant and unique approach to the guitar. I remember heading to Borders book store shortly after that and reading about them in a magazine, learning that there was a whole other early version of Fleetwood Mac led by Peter Green. I thought to myself that I should check that early stuff out.

22 Years later, I finally have. It is completely different than what I expected. Part of me assumed it would be a boring version of the Fleetwood Mac that I know, but itís a whole other thing. This is a great blues album, and the production sounds fantastic as well. I agree with celluloid on the Cream similarity.

My favorite song is Searching for Madge, which is unique and interesting. And really that entire four song run at the end starting with Searching for Madge and going through Before the Beginning was awesome. I enjoyed this thoroughly.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #22
Bluewater34
Is Old

It’s funny that you say that you didn’t check it out for so long because you expected it to be boring. I was the exact same way. I didn’t check them out for a very long time, even though I knew Peter Green was a legend. There were just so many British Blues bands, and so few of them really stood out. But that version of Fleetwood Mac definitely stands out. I wish I had checked them out long before I finally did.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Itís funny that you say that you didnít check it out for so long because you expected it to be boring. I was the exact same way. I didnít check them out for a very long time, even though I knew Peter Green was a legend. There were just so many British Blues bands, and so few of them really stood out. But that version of Fleetwood Mac definitely stands out. I wish I had checked them out long before I finally did.
Yeah man, I should have checked them out earlier. I will be listening to the other two Peter Green led albums, and I just am now realizing there is even more after that and prior to Buckingham/Nicks. Are those worth listening to?

Of course it helps that I don't have to drop $18 on a CD just to try like I did in the 90s.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #24
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Yeah man, I should have checked them out earlier. I will be listening to the other two Peter Green led albums, and I just am now realizing there is even more after that and prior to Buckingham/Nicks. Are those worth listening to?

Of course it helps that I don't have to drop $18 on a CD just to try like I did in the 90s.
Iím not a big fan of the post-Green, pre-Buckingham/Nicks records, but thereís definitely stuff worth hearing on them. But theyíre not as solid as the other two eras. Thereís also a pretty fantastic BBC Sessions album of the Peter Green led version thatís worth seeking out.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #25
blumathu

The pick for next week will be Big Wreck's debut album from 1997, In Loving Memory Of...

Big Wreck is a Canadian rock band, and while they did get a bit of play on MTV with the first single from this album (The Oaf), I don't think they had much success in America. This album is a favorite of mine, yet I don't think I have come across anyone else that owns it. I think it might be a good pick for discussion, and I am really curious what everyone thinks.

It is available on all of the usual streaming services.

celluloid hero will choose next week's album.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
NiCK (Crush)

Ah damnit I'm already behind. Sorry guys. Gonna try to listen to Fleetwood Mac this evening. Looking forward to Big Wreck, I'm not very familiar with them at all.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #27
Bluewater34
Is Old

This week completely got away from me, so I just listened to this week’s album today. I’ll be honest, when I first saw the pick, my first thought was, “great some late-90’s alternative rock. I didn’t like this stuff the first time around.” But it took the space of the first song before I was sucked right into this one. There’s a lot of Superunknown-era Soundgarden here, but there’s also some Dinosaurs Jr., some Prog and a lot of other stuff going on. There’s a fair amount of material on here that is very much of-its-time and hasn’t worn particularly well (the vocals couldn’t possibly sound more like 1997), but the extra musical touches that these guys wove into these songs really elevates the well above the majority of the alt-rock of that time. I’m really glad that I finally got to hear it, 22 years later. Great pick.

Also, it seems like people are having a little trouble keeping up with this, me included. Should we make the cycle two weeks instead of one?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #28
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Two weeks would be better. I’m training someone at work and spending my days on the phone. My listening has been nonexistent.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #29
blumathu

Yeah that album definitely feels like the 90s but has something special as well, which is why I thought maybe it would be a good pick. Their second album isn't very good but their last few are great. More modern but retain their uniqueness well.

And I agree on the two week cycle, that sounds perfect.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #30
celluloid hero

I really liked Big Wreck. I haven't heard of them, and while it sound very familiar in ways to Everclear or Candlebox, I think top-to-bottom the album was much better. When I listen to a lot of those particular '90s albums, I love the highlights and the rest is kind of generic shit. I never got sick of this, and it had some songs I'll be coming back to.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #31
celluloid hero

Heads up, I am posting my pick on Saturday morning. I am between two right now.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #32
Bluewater34
Is Old

Looking forward to it!
Old 04-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #33
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Looking forward to it!
My picks are either a big band jazz fusion from the '70s which I am nearly positive people haven't heard and is my go-to jazz album for about 25 years, or an alt-rock album released a few weeks by a group I had never heard of that I listened to based on a random web page recommendation and I fell in love with it. I keep waiting for you to post it in the "What are you listening to?" thread.

If you post it before Saturday, I'm going with the former. If not, I'm going with that one. :-)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #34
Bluewater34
Is Old

Now I’m even more curious.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
celluloid hero

One recent Friday morning I was working from home and didn't have any calls scheduled for an hour or two, so I went to Allmusic looking at the day's new releases to see if they recommended anything. This album Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood was given **** 1/2, so I gave it a go. Apparently it's not her first album, though I hadn't heard of her. Anyway, I fell in love with it right away. The songs sound massive and personal. Her voice at times is spot on to Judy Collins, to me at least.

Highlights for me are Andromeda and Something to Believe, but the A Lot's Going to Change opening song catches you right away and sets the tone and pace of the entire album.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 04-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #36
Bluewater34
Is Old

Been reading a lot about this one. I have it in my head that I didn’t like them, but the more I think about it, the more I think that I’ve never actually heard them. Looking forward to digging in.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #37
blumathu

I listened this morning. Great album, especially the run from track 5 through 8. I had never heard of her, and after a quick google search, it appears she may be playing most (or perhaps all) of the instruments on this album. Very cool.

When I first saw it on Saturday I listened to some clips and thought it wouldn't grab me, but starting a listen at the beginning and going all the way through definitely changed my perspective there. A truly wonderful album.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #38
celluloid hero

I'm glad you liked. It's different than I would normally choose to listen to, which is why I like this little group.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #39
celluloid hero

It's week 2. Who's up for the next pick?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #40
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
It's week 2. Who's up for the next pick?
You pick.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc