These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #5421
mario

The reason N2 is selling better is that you can't get out of work in Pittsburgh on a Friday and get to the concert on time. There will be no last minute purchases because of where that venue is.

DMB went from 3 and 2 and 1 show venues to 2 and 1 show venues, and now a number of 2 show venues are becoming 1 show venues.

Thats my point. The demand is dwindling, and over-saturating dwindling demand will accomplish even less demand.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #5422
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
The reason N2 is selling better is that you can't get out of work in Pittsburgh on a Friday and get to the concert on time. There will be no last minute purchases because of where that venue is.

oh please, there will be hundreds (at least) 16-25 somethings that don't work 9-5 jobs buying tickets at the venue.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #5423
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
oh please, there will be hundreds (at least) 16-25 somethings that don't work 9-5 jobs buying tickets at the venue.
No, there won't. How many ways can I explain this? Its like saying there will be hundreds of people who will walk up to the box office at the Gorge on the day of the show.

The venue is in the middle of fucking nowhere, the only way to get there is by car, and there's one highway everyone takes which backs up for miles for every concert. A few years ago they had a major construction project to add an extra line. It used to take hours to get from Pittsburgh to a concert. In 2002 I left Pittsburgh at 5pm and was getting my ticket scanned when DMB took the stage. After the construction, I think its down to like 90 minutes. On non-concert days its half an hour to drive out there.

The venue is 25 miles from Pittsburgh, and 3 miles from West Virginia. Its one venue where people don't go just to party in the lots and end up buying a ticket.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #5424
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Most of us have these things called "Vacation Days" too. They're marvelous.

This conversation is fucking stupid. Ticket sales are down for everything -- the economy is in the shitter. The band isn't nearly as popular as it was in the heyday of 2000-2002. Whatever. They keep touring and obviously make money doing it. The last thing I'm going to worry about is what % full a venue is and whether or not some needle-dick ticket broker on StubHub makes money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #5425
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
The last thing I'm going to worry about is what % full a venue is and whether or not some needle-dick ticket broker on StubHub makes money.

That's the thing you should worry about. Its the same thing Major League Baseball is scared to death of.

When the brokers stop making money, they stop buying the tickets. DMB, MLB, etc really really REALLY like knowing that brokers will buy a couple of thousand tickets in January for shows in June. It gives them a lot of revenue certainty because the brokers are buying volatility.

When the brokers stop buying is when concerts start getting cancelled because there haven't been enough tickets sold to make them worthwhile.

Im not saying DMB will cancel shows anytime soon, just thats a main reason shows get cancelled for lack of ticket sales: brokers wouldn't buy them and shift the risk from the promoter to the broker.

When you start adding up tickets left on Ticketmaster, and tickets left in broker hands, and get four digit numbers, it means the brokers won't buy next summer, and the promoter gets stuck with hundreds of thousands of dollars of unsold tickets.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #5426
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
Most of us have these things called "Vacation Days" too. They're marvelous.
Why take a vacation day when you can just go the next day, instead?

And lots of people don't have jobs where they can just take "vacation days". Like grad school, college, and high school kids who are working retail or internships or just temporary summer work.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #5427
TDunk

they need to charge much less for those shitty uppers.
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #5428
mario

Actually, re: vacation days, I was muddled. People aren't going to take a vacation day on a whim. So while you're point is somewhat valid back around on sale time, now its a little late to think there will be people who take the day off, go to ticketmaster, and purchase seats for that show.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #5429
mario

They need to start charging less for all the tickets. $60 for lawn seats is goddamn ridiculous.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #5430
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
They need to start charging less for all the tickets. $60 for lawn seats is goddamn ridiculous.
Lawn seats are perfectly reasonable at $45 -- it's the bullshit fees and charges that need to end.

But, having said that, I agree with your general point that tickets have gotten slightly out of hand. The market clearly disagrees with me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #5431
FiddySpence
TDCya

lawn tickets should be like 30 bucks.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #5432
mja271

I always feel like an idiot for paying $85 (fees included) for a pavilion seat that ends up being about 60 feet from the lawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5433
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I'm not quite sure what mario's point is here...I mean, it's pretty obvious that they're less popular than when they were playing three-night runs in football stadiums. Is anyone arguing that they've increased in popularity?
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5434
inmytree
Hey Gee.

That being said, yes, ticket prices in general, for DMB and most other bands of that stature, are ludicrous.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #5435
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I'm not quite sure what mario's point is here...I mean, it's pretty obvious that they're less popular than when they were playing three-night runs in football stadiums. Is anyone arguing that they've increased in popularity?
right, but i don't think it's taken on some more rapid decline in the past couple years. they're gonna be like fuckin' jimmy buffett, playing sheds and baseball parks until they die.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #5436
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
lawn tickets should be like 30 bucks.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #5437
Steveo Style

I don't think you'll see this band experience a significant increase in popularity ever again. At least not until they release a single that hits Top 10 on the pop stations. And unless they release a techno dance hit I don't see it happening.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #5438
ethaxton

They could also try booking bigger name opening acts for middle of the week concerts. I dunno, Bristow was pretty packed, but it was a Saturday. Their ticket prices do seem a little high I guess. Lowering them would be bad for real fans of the band I think though because that significantly changes the type of people that are going to show up.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #5439
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
My point is that just like they can't play stadiums or three night runs anymore, I don't think they can do a full summer tour and follow it with a full on arena tour the same fall and another full tour the next year. I don't think places like philly and Ohio can support five shows in twelve months. Because they're getting to the point where they need to start trimming two night stands to one nighters even in the summer.

Or, alternatively, cut ticket prices because fifty and sixty buck lawn seats is absurd, and clearly not working.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #5440
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
My point is that just like they can't play stadiums or three night runs anymore, I don't think they can do a full summer tour and follow it with a full on arena tour the same fall. Because they're getting to the point where they need to start trimming two night stands to one nighters even in the summer.

Or, alternatively, cut ticket prices because fifty and sixty buck lawn seats is absurd, and clearly not working.
well they were able to do it in 2010 and i doubt demand has decreased dramatically since then.

they've never done a fall tour every year. they do one every 2-3 years at most. i think that fits their demand.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc