These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #25221
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!

I haven't been in a mall in like 5 years so it was sort of nostalgic. And I couldn't believe a store like that would play 1. willie 2. willie covering d/f.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #25222
timh.
tasty.

Random thoughts...

I've been very unimpressed and disinterested with most Dave Matthews (band and otherwise) performances and songwriting since about 2010 or so... I realized earlier today that I probably haven't listened to the album "Come Tomorrow" more than 5 times total, and couldn't even begin to quote the tracklist of the album from memory. I mostly just assumed I "outgrew" the music in terms of what I prefer, or that I got bored with the sound or style... but I'm questioning that lately. Right now I'm listening Dave and Tim from Feb of 1999 and I'm still as captivated by this sound as I was the first time I heard it. It's unique, original, and inspired. Dave's vocals are good not just because of a "younger" voice, but there's heart in it. There's an audible hunger there that just isn't anymore. Same with the instrumentation. I feel like what I'm listening to right now isn't just "another version Jimi Thing" ... it, like others over the era, found a space slightly offset from whatever space other versions occupied in a way that made the performance at hand new again.

I don't hear that at all these days.

For a long time I've wished Dave Matthews had left DMB to follow whatever inspiration it was that brought about Some Devil... and I wonder what kind of songwriting, performances, and studio creations would have been made in that wake. Obviously, that's not what happened, but every time I get sucked back into a performance from 99-03 I wonder.

Anyway... as you were.
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #25223
sean52692
You failed this band

Great post.

Whenever people say that Everyday ruined Dave's songwriting and the process along the way, I find myself looking at Some Devil and seeing an album of outstanding and creative songwriting in 2003. Now, maybe some of the songwriting process with the band was hurt by Everyday, but Dave certainly churned out good material after the Ballard debacle.

The thing that gets to me is that he wrote so many good tunes after 2001, imo. The 04 songs, 06 songs, a couple unearthed gems from the Batson Sessions, a few BWGK and AFTW songs, Bismarck, and a few others off Come Tomorrow. Then you have one offs like I Won't Give It Away, The Fly, etc. I know that is a messy list, but you get the gist.

There is so much good material in there. Unfortunately, a lot of the new material has been shelved, neutered, or just replaced by crap like You & Me, Come Tomorrow, FTWII, Mercy, etc.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #25224
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh. View Post
Random thoughts...

I've been very unimpressed and disinterested with most Dave Matthews (band and otherwise) performances and songwriting since about 2010 or so... I realized earlier today that I probably haven't listened to the album "Come Tomorrow" more than 5 times total, and couldn't even begin to quote the tracklist of the album from memory. I mostly just assumed I "outgrew" the music in terms of what I prefer, or that I got bored with the sound or style... but I'm questioning that lately. Right now I'm listening Dave and Tim from Feb of 1999 and I'm still as captivated by this sound as I was the first time I heard it. It's unique, original, and inspired. Dave's vocals are good not just because of a "younger" voice, but there's heart in it. There's an audible hunger there that just isn't anymore. Same with the instrumentation. I feel like what I'm listening to right now isn't just "another version Jimi Thing" ... it, like others over the era, found a space slightly offset from whatever space other versions occupied in a way that made the performance at hand new again.

For a long time I've wished Dave Matthews had left DMB to follow whatever inspiration it was that brought about Some Devil... and I wonder what kind of songwriting, performances, and studio creations would have been made in that wake. Obviously, that's not what happened, but every time I get sucked back into a performance from 99-03 I wonder.

Anyway... as you were.
Thoughtful and well written. Exactly my feelings on Dave Matthews, and the band. Nothing more impressive and special in my mind overall than that ‘99 tour Dave & Tim tour. For all the reasons you articulated above. As most of us know, it’s perfection, and will likely never grow old.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #25225
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Great post.

Whenever people say that Everyday ruined Dave's songwriting and the process along the way, I find myself looking at Some Devil and seeing an album of outstanding and creative songwriting in 2003. Now, maybe some of the songwriting process with the band was hurt by Everyday, but Dave certainly churned out good material after the Ballard debacle.

The thing that gets to me is that he wrote so many good tunes after 2001, imo. The 04 songs, 06 songs, a couple unearthed gems from the Batson Sessions, a few BWGK and AFTW songs, Bismarck, and a few others off Come Tomorrow. Then you have one offs like I Won't Give It Away, The Fly, etc. I know that is a messy list, but you get the gist.

There is so much good material in there. Unfortunately, a lot of the new material has been shelved, neutered, or just replaced by crap like You & Me, Come Tomorrow, FTWII, Mercy, etc.
And herein lies the problem. The lack of consistency. He can write good/great songs, but he seems to have lost the ability to weed out the dross. Back in the 90s and early 00s, even most of the filler was at least respectable.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #25226
morgadt

Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #25227
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Random thoughts...

Anyway... as you were.
I feel exactly the same way listening to 99 d&t, but then I wonder how much of it is nostalgia. There's an objective difference in the "heart" for sure, and I think a big part of it is the teleprompter that came around in the mid 2000s. Performances become too scripted when reading off those.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #25228
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I feel exactly the same way listening to 99 d&t, but then I wonder how much of it is nostalgia.
Iíve thought about the same thing from time to time, especially when Iíve gone a long time without listening to them. Do I really still like that earlier material or do I not really enjoy them at all anymore and just have good memories associated with the older stuff? But in the past week Iíve listened to both UTTAD and Central Park, and genuinely enjoyed both of them. I honestly can hardly bring myself to listen to anything this band did after 2004, but before that they connected with me like no other band ever has, and the music from that era completely holds up for me. Nostalgia is 100% why Iím here, but itís not why I still love listening to what they were doing when I still loved them.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #25229
patsfan39

Quote:
Random thoughts...

Anyway... as you were.
I too have totally come to this realization in the last few months. Its not just that the improv is missing nowadays, its that theres something missing. You can listen to versions from those early years and hear something different in each version. The ones played in the latest years might actually include a different note for note solo, but the way the song is played is basically exactly identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #25230
mattinmass
heady

speaking of nostalgia, #34 studio came on randomly the other day and the flood of memories/emotions that came rushing back reminded me of everything I used to love about this band
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #25231
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Same deal but with Red Rocks 36. Was out for a drive on Saturday and it came on shuffle. A+ band in their prime. I'll always love it.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #25232
Bluewater34
Is Old

I have not listened to that in a ridiculously long time.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #25233
NiCK (Crush)

I feel I know every note of that album.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #25234
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
I feel I know every note of that album.
Oh yeah, Iím listening to that 36 right now and itís like Iím hearing it before they play it. Itís just in my bones.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #25235
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

That LeRoi solo around 5-6 minutes into the song. Every damn note. I miss him a lot.

36 is vintage DMB. Everything I love about the band in one song. It captures their sound perfectly.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #25236
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
I too have totally come to this realization in the last few months. Its not just that the improv is missing nowadays, its that theres something missing. You can listen to versions from those early years and hear something different in each version. The ones played in the latest years might actually include a different note for note solo, but the way the song is played is basically exactly identical.
I think a lot of improve is missing in a sense. 41 for example is pretty much the same each night. It’s nowhere close to the old days. Same canned horns and Tim Solo that goes nowhere. Unfortunately, quite a few songs are like that now.

On the other hand, some songs do still bring out that old dmb feel to me. Bartender in 2018 is probably the best example. Dave can’t wail like he used to, but the music is fantastic. Jeff does a great job on the penny whistle. Very much like Roi used to do. Then Buddy and Carter play off of each other pretty well. The song has some space. A few other songs have the old school dmb feel as well like LLD, Raven, YNK, Say Bye, BOWA, The Stone, and Spoon. So yeah I think they are still capable of great performances that are unique, but thats not the direction of the band now. The band is more in your face loud featuring canned horns and Rashawn blaring notes at a fast pace. That’s what Dave likes, and that what the crowd likes these day’s too unfortunately. Just a lot less risk taking overall. They tend to say in a comfort zone those days.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #25237
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
36 is vintage DMB. Everything I love about the band in one song. It captures their sound perfectly.
Exactly.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #25238
Tomacco

Honestly never been a #36 fan. Vocally it might be Dave’s most obnoxious pre-SU song with all the scatting and stuff. It also just goes on too long and goes nowhere. Was always the lone skip track for me on Red Rocks and LS.
Maybe it’s time I give it another chance though.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #25239
Steveo Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Honestly never been a #36 fan. Vocally it might be Daveís most obnoxious pre-SU song with all the scatting and stuff. It also just goes on too long and goes nowhere. Was always the lone skip track for me on Red Rocks and LS.
Maybe itís time I give it another chance though.
Yeah the song should end at the 7 minute mark
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #25240
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Honestly never been a #36 fan. Vocally it might be Daveís most obnoxious pre-SU song with all the scatting and stuff. It also just goes on too long and goes nowhere. Was always the lone skip track for me on Red Rocks and LS.
Maybe itís time I give it another chance though.
couldn't disagree more
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc